Musicians Collaboration Studio

Take Away The Dark

Offline CosmicDolphin

• Jedi
  • Do or do not..there is no try
    • Phonicworks : TV Production Music
depeche mode and bingo there it is.

Thanks ROTM..yes..a big influence..seen them many times live  8)
We never finish a mix... we simply abandon them.
You can't polish a turd, but you can always spray paint it GOLD
Great songs are not written, they are re-witten

Offline Billy

• Super Hero
  • Professionalism is an attitude
Now I would listen to this.

Yes, there are elements that are from that era but essentially it's an engaging pop song. I think it's much more elegant than a lot of those songs and I'm really impressed with your vocal performance, Mark.

I would actually buy this if it were on an album  ::)

Billy.

Offline CosmicDolphin

• Jedi

I would actually buy this if it were on an album  ::)

Billy.

Thanks Billy..It will be...and you can..but to be honest I'm planning on a free copy for everybody on the Album..when it's eventually finished.  ;D

Offline CosmicDolphin

• Jedi
Hey Guys I'd sent this off for some Professional Mix Feedback from Sound on Sounds Mike Senior, here is what he said...

Overall, this is within spitting distance of a commercial release, as far as I'm concerned, so in general good work. The main thing separating it from showtime, in my view, is the vocal tuning, which still feels a bit shaky in general. There are also a few spots of vocal timing I'd address too, particularly the first chorus "to take" and "of mine, still in decline, because of you" which both feel early. The vocal balancing's pretty solid, though, which is great, and definitely helps give it a professional polish.

A few random thoughts that strike me as I listen: Nice involving intro -- like that a lot. Build-up into the first kick entry is good. The synth lead first heard 0:44 is consistently a bit early, and undermines the groove. So is the one in verse 2, first heard at 2:10. Have you considered dropping the snare for eight bars or so at 3:15? Would draw more attention to all those cool synth details you've got going there, and would also give you a way to build through the section by reintroducing it later.

Love the idea of the drop chorus at 4:02, but it's quite a long drop, and it feels as if it needs a bit more build-up through it. It seems to lose a bit too much momentum, where if anything the opposite should be the case -- it should seem inevitable that the drums will return. Your reverse transition effect certainly helps, but I think you need more than that. I wonder you could so something with the eighth-note synth stabs, for instance, to make them evolve over time. Or perhaps repurpose some of the great stuff you had during the intro, particularly that nice sequenced rhythm synth first heard at 0:21. Could you also go more to town on the full synth wash at that point too? There's no right way to do this kind of thing -- it just needs a lot of experimentation.

Everything is very clean and clear, despite the copius layers/effects, which is great news. The only thing I'd like is maybe a bit more pitched bass in the bottom couple of octaves, just to give it a little more warmth on big systems. The kick's nice and tightly controlled, so there should be no problem doing that.

Offline gbm

• Super Hero
Mark

yes, that high synth @ 0:44 - 1:13 is definitely early, and does conflict a bit, a simple quantize would fix that.

I would actually buy this if it were on an album  Roll Eyes

Billy.

yes I would too, this is good synth stuff.....

:) :) :) :)

Offline Zax

This sounds absolutely fantastic, CD!!   8)  8)

Very polished... Well done indeed!

Frank