Musicians Collaboration Studio

Instrumentals for TV Licensing

Offline CosmicDolphin

• Jedi
  • Do or do not..there is no try
    • Phonicworks : TV Production Music
Sounds great CD. you really have that EDM down!
The mixes are clean, driven and pump!

Thanks Nick, yeah it's been a big learning curve..very different to mixing a Rock song with vocals and real drums etc. I can understand why these Superstar Mixers stay mostly in one lane. I've probably been averaging 1.5 new tracks & mixes per week so after almost 3yrs of that kind of schedule your ears become more attuned to smaller things. I can hear quite plainy now on some of my old mixes when things aren't quite balanced properly, like a lead part is 1db too loud for example. Sticks out to me now..it's just practice I guess.   
We never finish a mix... we simply abandon them.
You can't polish a turd, but you can always spray paint it GOLD
Great songs are not written, they are re-witten

Offline NickT

• NickT
  • Administrator
  • Super Hero
  • Here I am!
    • Ain't TV
Mark,

What are your favorite synths right now?
NickT

"...My life just Ain't TV..."

www.AintTV.com

www.TestafiedRecords.com

Offline CosmicDolphin

• Jedi
Mark,

What are your favorite synths right now?

For that tune I used Sylenth - Nexus 2 & Massive as the main ones..there's probably a part off something else but I could quite happily live with those.  

Edit..couple of things I wouldn't want to be without for making EDM -  OTT plugin which is free..slap it on any synth and it suddenly sounds more modern, and Xfer Records LFOTool to get that sidechain vibe they all use now.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 12:35:55 PM by CosmicDolphin »

Offline CosmicDolphin

• Jedi
-- Update ---

Been a little while so I thought I would update you guys.

I am just about into double figures now for placements TV shows now, the latest being The Challenge where I had 2 tunes in one episode which amounted to almost 2 minutes of music.

I've updated the placements playlist if anyone wants to listen : https://soundcloud.com/user-45178330/sets/as-heard-on-tv

I still haven't been paid any royalties ! I was hoping something would have come through by now but because they are all U.S shows and I am in the UK's performing right's organisation there is a huge lag between stuff airing and it making through the system to this side of the pond, some of the stuff aired over a year ago that I am still waiting on.

I made the tough business decision recently to end the 50/50 Lennon & McCartney style Royalty split with my friend Dale at the end of this year.  When we started all this 3.5 yrs ago I honestly thought his music ( which is all mixed / produced by me ) would stand as much chance of gaining some TV spots as mine so it would balance out but every track that has been used so far has been 100% written and produced by myself although he still gets half as that's the deal we shook hands on at the outset. 

As time has gone on it's become very one sided with each placement coming from my solo tracks -  I think it's around 13 Vs Zero now and I don't feel that musically he has adapted or upped his game as much as I have over the last few years and it's eaten up a lot of my time trying to fix tracks or make them sound more up to date of his. I have told him this and he is cool with my own stuff just being mine going forward although we will still work on some 50/50 co writes and I am teaching him to mix his own tunes so he can fly solo.

We have approx 250 cues in various libraries - they reckon about 20% of your tracks end up getting used so we are still a way off that metric. Need to keep on plugging away.

One library offered to pay us $50 per track up front so we've done a bunch of those but they also take half the writers royalty share so we are down to 25% each on those but at least we have a little cash for them. Those along with a few micro-licences ( I've had a couple of cues use by Greenpeace on their Youtube channel ) add up to £235 earned so far each in 2019.  That's up on last year which was £127.

It's a tough gig but I am pushing onward !       

Offline AndyG6508

• Jedi
    • https://soundcloud.com/bumpy-buttons
Great update Dolphin and sounds encouraging too...

All the best for 2019 (the rest of it anyways).
ANdy

Offline CosmicDolphin

• Jedi
Great update Dolphin and sounds encouraging too...

All the best for 2019 (the rest of it anyways).
ANdy

Cheers Andy. I thought it would be a good realistic overview for anyone that's interested in this sort of thing.

Offline NickT

• NickT
  • Administrator
  • Super Hero
  • Here I am!
    • Ain't TV
Nice update!

Best of luck!

NickT
NickT

"...My life just Ain't TV..."

www.AintTV.com

www.TestafiedRecords.com

Offline CosmicDolphin

• Jedi
Thought I would report a bit more progress for those still following...

Placements : Placements are up to 20 now. We've had some stuff used on a couple of German TV shows on RTL as well as some other placements on shows 'airing' on Snapchat & Facebook ( I wasn't even aware they made their own content )

A few other placements have popped up too, most notably an EDM track of mine got picked up for a scripted drama called Good Trouble  - It was in a scene where the characters are in a club, and when the DJ spins the decks it's my track that plays...not that you get to hear much of it as they cut away and then talk over the bloody thing !

https://soundcloud.com/user-45178330/remember-this-night-good-trouble-s2-e3

Scripted drama can usually pay more than Reality shows because they have much bigger budgets, so the production company actually paid $600 to the Library to use it, then the library split it 50-50 ...and even though I wrote it entirely myself I was doing the 50-50 split thing with my buddy  as mentioned above so we get $150 each....plus royaties at some stage

Speaking of royalties we actually got some last Quarter, it amounted to £155 for my share...so my total YTD earnings are up to £530 now  - the next Qtr is in a few weeks so hopefully some more will be due.

Still writing away in my spare time,  total tracks written is nearing 300  :o
« Last Edit: September 24, 2019, 04:40:16 PM by CosmicDolphin »

Offline Stoney

• Super Hero
  • Just Me Makin Noises
    • The Music of Stonehead
That sounds really interesting Cosmic and a good outlet for your work ... I wonder if they have space for a weird creator like me .... I will have to look into it

Good luck mate and well done

Offline CosmicDolphin

• Jedi
I wonder if they have space for a weird creator like me

The answer is out there..do you hear similar on TV ? If so ..someone needs it.

Offline CosmicDolphin

• Jedi
Quick update, seemed to have found out about quite a few more placements recently..now up to 30  :o  Some of them were from Germany - Holland - Sweden so a bit hard to find videos and see them in the TV show

PRS royalties for the previous Qtr were a little bit less than the Qtr before at £130 but the majority f placements haven't gone through the system yet..It can take 12-18 months to get paid.

Thought I would do a little analysis as it's a mini milestone getting to 30

Placements By Year track was written:-

2016 = 6

2017 = 10

2018 = 12

2019 = 2

By Genre

Tension = 8

EDM  = 7

Future Bass = 3

Acoustic = 3

Ambient = 3

Trailer Style = 2
Hip Hop = 2

Rock = 1

Positive = 1

By Library

Sentric = 6

DeFacto = 6

Instyle = 6

Lab Hits = 6

JPM = 3

Muchas = 1

Crucial = 1

AudioSparx = 1

EXCLUSIVE = 7   Vs  NON EX = 21

By Writer

Mark & Dale = 3

Dale = 6

Mark = 20
« Last Edit: November 01, 2019, 06:33:32 PM by CosmicDolphin »

Offline NickT

• NickT
  • Administrator
  • Super Hero
  • Here I am!
    • Ain't TV

Offline AndyG6508

• Jedi
    • https://soundcloud.com/bumpy-buttons

Offline CosmicDolphin

• Jedi
End Of Year Progress Report   8)

So the final royalty statement came for this year, it was a little underwhelming at £84 but better than nothing. Screen grab here of the main page https://gyazo.com/42be1fc455d5912377d23f2b18306840

Good news - A new Placement on last weeks Kardashians for me with my track ' Future Empathy '..you can here it here

https://soundcloud.com/user-45178330/future-empathy?in=user-45178330/sets/as-heard-on-tv

Or watch the Kardashians " The Show Must Go On " (Series17  Ep :11)..it's only about 3 mins into the show so you don't have to suffer through too much.  >:D

These are my number for 2019 to date..I will probably add a few more cues to the pile before 2020 starts. The last Qtr of 2019 has seen me get a new job which has taken a lot more of my time so I've not been as productive as previously.

Cues written 49
Cues Signed to Libraries 45
Music Earnings £737 for the year  ( a mix of royalties, sync fees and up front $$ for some cues wrtitten )..this is up from £120 in 2018 and around £20 in 2017..so it's heading in the right direction.

Placements Total is now over 30..I am still waiting for about half of them to pay out royalties due to the long delay as most of them are in other countries, mostly the US and this adds about a year onto the waiting time.

Have a great Xmas everyone and I will update in the new year..If anyone is interested in getting into Music Licensing you can alway PM me

Offline Albino

• The most important things are not things.
    • Spotify