Reaper - Free DAW

NickT · 26 · 12066

Offline NickT

• NickT
  • Administrator
  • Super Hero
  • Here I am!
    • Ain't TV
For those who come in and want to try out this online thing with little capital expense, this DAW is pretty robust for the amount of money it cost...FREE! :)

It's a small download and seems very efficient.

http://www.reaper.fm/index.php

Hope you like it!

NickT
NickT

"...My life just Ain't TV..."

www.AintTV.com

www.TestafiedRecords.com

Offline BassPlayer

• ReverbNation - David Bellizzi
Thats better than audacity because it does midi and it supports wavpack!

Offline NickT

• NickT
  • Administrator
  • Super Hero
  • Here I am!
    • Ain't TV
Here is a test mix.

This was done on Reaper 0.98. I only had about an hour to do this, so it is rough. But considering I never used this software, I think I got pretty far.

I wouldn't post something I wouldn't try!

This is a song that Ray Sharp wrote. Ootle and Jwoo collab.

Ray let me know if you want this pulled. This is just for an example and it's a straight forward tune.

Thanks,

Nick
NickT

www.AintTV.com

www.TestafiedRecords.com

Offline NickT

• NickT
  • Administrator
  • Super Hero
  • Here I am!
    • Ain't TV
Well,

I have to say that after playing with this program, I am impressed by the footprint (1.07 meg download --> 3.59 meg loaded).

I threw that mix of Fly at it with plugs on every track and even routed some busses with plugs and my machine didn't even burp.

I know most of you here don't need a DAW...But it's pretty cool.

Nick
« Last Edit: July 30, 2006, 11:08:50 PM by NickT »
NickT

www.AintTV.com

www.TestafiedRecords.com

Offline BassPlayer

Hey Nick maybe you could work something out with him where you feature it @ MC as an entry level DAW for 1st timers and he could get free advertising.  Just at thought.

Offline BassPlayer

Offline Gerk

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
  • code monkey no sing!
    • Studio Gerk Pics
Thats better than audacity because it does midi and it supports wavpack!

Better in that regard yes, but it doesn't run on Linux/BSD/OSX, only windows :(

Oh well, I'll try it out on my mac mini running windows XP when I get some time, it does look pretty cool.

Mark

Offline BassPlayer

The only way I would use it is to reconstruct jams. Would be cool if we could impor tthe txt file into sonar. cough hint cough hint cough Nick

Offline NickT

• NickT
  • Administrator
  • Super Hero
  • Here I am!
    • Ain't TV
They Just released v1.0.

It is free for 30 day and will continue working, But a non-commercial license is $40.

I have been following this and it is a nice DAW.

One user did a tutorial that you can find here:

http://www.reaper.fm/~pipeline/REAPERVideos/basics/

He talks fast!

Nick
NickT

www.AintTV.com

www.TestafiedRecords.com

Offline cederwood

• soundcloud.com/inthatsuit
Hi Nick, Your some lad, I just downloaded Reaper, and I've been having some trouble recording voice with my Cubase (Apart from the fact I can't sing) but now I can with Reaper, and it looks better than the Cubebase version I have, the only trouble is most times I stop I get interferance, which is fixed by changing the sound away and back from my ASIO card, it's a bit of a'noince, but I hav'nt tuned it in yet, I think I'll buy it, thanks.(if you want to hear how it sounds go to my site and it's called, "I took you for a lady" you'll not like it but it's an imprivment in my voice and it's just my first attempt).

Offline NickT

• NickT
  • Administrator
  • Super Hero
  • Here I am!
    • Ain't TV
Hi Nick, Your some lad, I just downloaded Reaper, and I've been having some trouble recording voice with my Cubase (Apart from the fact I can't sing) but now I can with Reaper, and it looks better than the Cubebase version I have, the only trouble is most times I stop I get interferance, which is fixed by changing the sound away and back from my ASIO card, it's a bit of a'noince, but I hav'nt tuned it in yet, I think I'll buy it, thanks.(if you want to hear how it sounds go to my site and it's called, "I took you for a lady" you'll not like it but it's an imprivment in my voice and it's just my first attempt).

You may want to try the asio4all drivers...or tweak your asio driver buffers or check for new drivers for your card...I like the program also.

I have read their forum. You may want to search or post a question there. Jason, the author seems pretty nice.

Keep up with the updates...I think some bugs will get fixed you didn't even know about!

Nick
NickT

www.AintTV.com

www.TestafiedRecords.com

Offline cederwood

• soundcloud.com/inthatsuit

You may want to try the asio4all drivers...or tweak your asio driver buffers or check for new drivers for your card...I like the program also

Hi, Don't know how to tweak my asio driver  buffers, I know where they are, is it just like adjusting the latentcy sort of thing, I'' try and update the drivers, see what happens.

Offline NickT

• NickT
  • Administrator
  • Super Hero
  • Here I am!
    • Ain't TV
If you haven't looked at this lately, maybe you should.

I can run reaper from a thumbdrive.

They also just added native Ape (Monkey Audio) support.

It also looks pretty nice these days.

http://www.reaper.fm/index.php

Just thought some of you might be interested.

Nick
« Last Edit: August 15, 2007, 03:09:34 PM by NickT »
NickT

www.AintTV.com

www.TestafiedRecords.com

Offline Studioplayer

• Super Hero
  • Overdrive
    • Reverbnation Website
Actually I'm just downloading it and going to check it out. It looks pretty interesting. I wonder what the limitations are? Lately my Acid Pro keeps locking up on me. Maybe this will run a bit better?  ???

Offline NickT

• NickT
  • Administrator
  • Super Hero
  • Here I am!
    • Ain't TV
Dave - you may want to download the asio4all drivers or install the asio drivers for your card.

Reaper will work with the wmd drivers...but I have better luck with asio.

No restrictions on use. You get a nag screen...but that's it. If you like it, it's only $49.00 for a license.

I like to run it at work with the free plugs I have collected. I do most of my work with Sonar 6 at home...but will crack open Reaper for the fun of it.

It is a very good DAW.

Nick
NickT

www.AintTV.com

www.TestafiedRecords.com