Linking to files on other sites

NickT · 13 · 9801

Offline NickT

• NickT
  • Administrator
  • Super Hero
  • Here I am!
    • Ain't TV
I am all for saving space and bandwidth. But I really don't think it proper to host a song file on another sites FTP and link to the file in a post here. If you have your own space, that is fine. Make links all day long.

We have space here and it's pretty easy to use. And I will get more space if and when we need it.

I respect the people that run those sites and feel it is better if we don't use up their space and bandwidth for our projects.

Thank You!

Nick

NickT

"...My life just Ain't TV..."

www.AintTV.com

www.TestafiedRecords.com

Offline Letizia

• LetiziaMusic.com
Nick -

so... you prefer we upload files here... even if they're already on the other site's ftp?

on a related note... i'm guessing we shouldn't post direct links (on other sites) to files that are hosted here... correct?

Offline NickT

• NickT
  • Administrator
  • Super Hero
  • Here I am!
    • Ain't TV
Yes...

If the files are on your own site...that is fine. But if they are on anothet collab site, I prefer you just load them here.

And Yes...No linking to files hosted here. It's ok to link to the post that your file is in.

Thanks Carlo,

Nick
NickT

www.AintTV.com

www.TestafiedRecords.com

Offline Bobby Watson

• Super Hero
  • What's a band without members?
    • Backporch Dreams
It's a good policy to implement, Nick....

Takes some monitoring, though... Granted your membership will comply to your policies, I have no doubt...  However, the external cross-linking is a harder activity to keep under control, in that "anyone" can create a link, member or not..

You might check with your host to see if they have, or, can enable "anti-leeching"... If so, any cross-linking would be intercepted at the host, and not allowed... I use in on specific directories on my servers.  Especially, any streaming directories... Bandwidth is not particularly an issue with me, in that I have no limitations. However, leeping the load to a minimum, does keep the site's response time optimized...
Good luck,
BW@

Offline Errol

• Super Hero
    • http://www.reverbnation.com/errolchugg
We have space here and it's pretty easy to use. And I will get more space if and when we need it.

So for us slow to learn types, how do we use the space here?  :)

Offline NickT

• NickT
  • Administrator
  • Super Hero
  • Here I am!
    • Ain't TV
Errol,

Right below the text area when you post is an "Attach" box. Use the browse button to find the file on your local machine, then post. Give it time...you won't see anything really. If all goes well, you will return to the topic. Your file will be an attachment on the thread.

Nick
NickT

www.AintTV.com

www.TestafiedRecords.com

Offline Bobby Watson

• Super Hero
  • What's a band without members?
    • Backporch Dreams
Just like you attach your midi files to a post at EPS, Errol...
Like Nick, or, someone said before, be patient once you press the submit button... PHP is not the worlds fastest at file transfers.. But, it does get there, if the connection holds up..  ;)
BW@

Offline Bassic_Soul

• Rollin with the flow
OK, in that slow to learn vein.

I asked privately, but to help others, if there are any others like me.

Once we have submitted and are either accepted or declined.

Should we unattach our files?

How's that work?
Preston

Offline Rattlehed

OK, in that slow to learn vein.

I asked privately, but to help others, if there are any others like me.

Once we have submitted and are either accepted or declined.

Should we unattach our files?

How's that work?

yes to save serverspace and bandwidth, after you are finished with you attachments they should be removed.
You can do this by editing the post that contains the attachment, and where you attached it before there is an option to remove it.

Pat

Offline Bassic_Soul

• Rollin with the flow

Offline NickT

• NickT
  • Administrator
  • Super Hero
  • Here I am!
    • Ain't TV