Musicians Collaboration Studio

Finally Ordered some Room Treatment

Offline CosmicDolphin

• Jedi
  • Do or do not..there is no try
    • Phonicworks : TV Production Music
Hey guys

I've finally gotten around to ordering some acoustic treatment for my room....it's basically the back half of the garage , about 10ft square....bad shape for mixing in but I've had to make do until now.

My wife has ordered me one of these kits for my birthday :  http://www.inta-audio.com/products.asp?partno=ROOMADCHA/PUR

I think she'll make me wait until the 27th before getting my hands on it , but it should be fun.  I've been thinkin about whether it'd still be worth making a couple of extra DIY bass traps.

Guess I'll have to make some measurements when I'm done....I have a measurement if anyone can reccomend some software.

CD
We never finish a mix... we simply abandon them.
You can't polish a turd, but you can always spray paint it GOLD
Great songs are not written, they are re-witten

Offline CosmicDolphin

• Jedi

Offline CosmicDolphin

• Jedi
Well the doorbell rang at 7.30am and I ran dowstairs in my boxers to take the huge carton of foam from the delivery guy  ;D

I've been doing some reading up and I'm also thinking of getting some Rockwool to make a couple of large bass traps too, then I should be pretty much sorted.

( Like these http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jul06/articles/studiosos_0706.htm )  They won't look that good knowing my DIY skills though !

My wife says I have to wait until my birthday to open it though , so roll on the 27th :(

The kids are also dissappointed as they want to make the huge empty box in to a house  ;D

CD

« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 05:26:06 AM by CosmicDolphin »

Offline Studioplayer

• Super Hero
  • Overdrive
    • Reverbnation Website
 ;D That's funny stuff CD. From rabbits teeth to your kids wanting the more important 'empty boxes'. The life of a family.  :D

Offline Eddie

Here is where I purchased all of my 703: http://www.atsacoustics.com

I've got about 50 panels in there so far with about 18 more to buy and cover.

Eddie

Offline Stoney

• Super Hero
  • Just Me Makin Noises
    • The Music of Stonehead
Damn I'm jealous ...here I am sitting in my "studio" portacabin in the garden surrounded by layers of curtains, old blankets and corrugated cardboard...... lets not think about the fire trap I lock myself into... with all that electrical gear ......Mmmmmmm.... I must double check some of this wiring LOL.

Great stuff CD ... make sure the family doesn't realise the main function of the gear is to keep them out
 ;D ;D

Offline CosmicDolphin

• Jedi
Damn I'm jealous ...here I am sitting in my "studio" portacabin in the garden surrounded by layers of curtains, old blankets and corrugated cardboard...... lets not think about the fire trap I lock myself into... with all that electrical gear ......Mmmmmmm.... I must double check some of this wiring LOL.

Great stuff CD ... make sure the family doesn't realise the main function of the gear is to keep them out
 ;D ;D

Haha

I hope you don't smoke !...I don't think corrugated cardboard does you any favours acoustically. but those old duvets , blankets & curtains certainly help a little.  I'm in half of our garage with an Ikea unit dividing me from all the kids bikes and junk...oh and the central heating boiler is right next to me !  You can just make out the pipes in top right of my avatar photo, above the amp.  I have to turn the heating off when recording a proper take !

I've going to make some bass traps, as the Auralex kit only goes goes down to a certain frequency...I dug this article up that I'd remember reading ...

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jul06/articles/studiosos_0706.htm

I've been offered a new job with Office Depot , so as soon as I hand in my notice in a week or so , Lyreco will put me on garden leave with full pay for my period of notice.  So I'll have time to have a go at building them and sorting the garage out...at least I have the Auralex tiles to cover them with too now.

You can get the Rockwool from Wickes..

http://www.wickes.co.uk/General-Constructional-Insulation/Heavy-Density-Insulation/invt/161189

I'm not the best DIY'r but I get by, I'll probably take pictures and maybe do a before & after...should be fun !

CD

Offline Stoney

• Super Hero
  • Just Me Makin Noises
    • The Music of Stonehead
The cardboard isn't much use but I went for the multiple layer / different density approach with as many loose hung fabrics as I could get hold of which although far from ideal it dose cut a lot of transmission and reflection out.
I dont think there is much chance of catching fire as the main stucture is fairly rotten and water logged ...I say that like it's a good thing  ::) ... I completely wrapped the inside surfaces in plastic sheet before soundproofing to keep the gear dry.... I wouldn't want a full band practice in there during the summer ...Phewww ... not pleasent but very rock n roll.

Thanks for the links ... very interesting

Cheers Ian

Offline CosmicDolphin

• Jedi
I've fitted all mine up now, theres a thread about it here....

http://www.musicianscollaboration.com/forum/index.php?topic=5296.0

CD