Great stuff Paul
Many thanks
"A spirit with a vision, is a dream with a mission" Neil Peart

My dad.. "Turn that Banjo down!!"

Offline snowdoguk

• Super Hero
  • Twang Twang Twang
    • Soundcloud
To all those who did the tests and sent me the results, thank you very much, to those who downloaded the files with the intent to do the tests thanks very much to you too.

My area of research is sub-frequency bandwidth extension for live performance, which means creating sub-harmonics from a signal and mixing them back in with the original. This effectively extends the bandwidth of a signal by say an octave. I am at a stage where I need to know if what I am developing is having a significant effect or not... in other words if people can hear a difference between one version and another.

The main reason for putting these tests up here is to have a dry run with people that will probably listen with a more critical ear than Joe Public. The tests as they stand are in part fundamentally flawed, since the tones being compared are not always at the same level within the same sub-test  (it's a gain symptom from the adaptive filtering I've designed) and people are more likely to say that a louder tone is better quality than a quieter one. But, nevertheless, the main part of the test was to establish that the adaptive filtering for each algorithm is having a significant effect on removing all the unwanted parts (frequency components) of the signal and getting close to a pure reference tone of the same pitch. The results showed overwhelmingly this to be the case, since the filtered outputs were also those with the slightly lower levels and were selected as superior to the unfiltered version, with good quality ratings with respect to the reference. This means that the filtering is doing its job.

The other thing I wanted to get from these tests is to establish if anyone could hear significant distortions ..... most people didn't (some did so well done) mention the slow attack times on the waveform due to the very narrow band filtering... which is interesting. Some mentioned more colouration in the "better" tone compared to the reference, which is good information for me.

I also learnt a lot about how to put these tests together, and in some cases, how not to do it!! GuitarGeorge was the first person to do the test (despite having an ear infection at the time) and provided some very useful tips and information. Many thanks George.

I will be putting a much easier test (in terms of doing it) up on YouTube in the near future, which will address all the points of this one so the test is as flawless as possible in the absence of controlled conditions (including constant level). The YouTube environment doesn't seem to have a significant effect on the audio uploaded, I tried a test version today. Hopefully, with that in place I can get a subject quota of about 100.

i'll put a link up for the YouTube video, when it appears. If you could also do that test, that would be really cool, it's about a 5 min video, so with a few pauses t will take 10 minutes max. The tests run sequentially and you can use the pause button to stop it at any time. I'll post the answer template in the video description so a quick copy and paste to a text file will sort that. The questions themselves are part of the video.

Many thanks ladies and gents..
Mike

Offline Studioplayer

• Super Hero
  • Overdrive
    • Reverbnation Website
 :) Fun to do!!

Although I almost killed my headphones.  ::)  For some reason I couldn't hear it when I first played it but I could see the wave form so I kept cranking it up until I could but then I thought.. why is it only coming out my right speaker?  ??? After a ways in the 1st file I realized it was coming from my headphones sitting on my desk. Sounded like my speaker!!  ;D Damn it must have been loud!! Duh... It's the old age thing again!!  :D ;D

Offline CosmicDolphin

• Jedi
  • Do or do not..there is no try
    • Phonicworks : TV Production Music

Although I almost killed my headphones.  ::)  For some reason I couldn't hear it when I first played it but I could see the wave form so I kept cranking it up until I could but then I thought.. why is it only coming out my right speaker?  ??? After a ways in the 1st file I realized it was coming from my headphones sitting on my desk. Sounded like my speaker!!  ;D Damn it must have been loud!! Duh... It's the old age thing again!!  :D ;D

;D ;D ;D

It was actually a test for deaf old musicians...well done you passed  8)
We never finish a mix... we simply abandon them.
You can't polish a turd, but you can always spray paint it GOLD
Great songs are not written, they are re-witten

Offline Errol

• Super Hero
    • http://www.reverbnation.com/errolchugg
It was fun for me too. It helped me avoid watching a Sandra Bullock movie with my wife!  ;D

Offline Tricia41

• Super Hero
  • sing
    • Hair by Tricia

;D ;D ;D

It was actually a test for deaf old musicians...well done you passed  8)

;D ;D I failed. I need to try again! :D

Offline snowdoguk

• Super Hero
  • Twang Twang Twang
    • Soundcloud

No problem doc.. there will be another going up on YouTube which will be much easier to do so maybe you can find time for that next week. I appreciate the thought and intent.

Cheers
Mike

Offline docmidnite

• Super Hero
  • Rock on, dude
    • http://indiemusicworks.com/Henry_Mittnacht/

No problem doc.. there will be another going up on YouTube which will be much easier to do so maybe you can find time for that next week. I appreciate the thought and intent.

Cheers
Mike

8)

Offline Gerk

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
  • code monkey no sing!
    • Studio Gerk Pics
I'll try and find time to do your youtube one, has been pretty crazy here for me lately!

Offline snowdoguk

• Super Hero
  • Twang Twang Twang
    • Soundcloud
I'll try and find time to do your youtube one, has been pretty crazy here for me lately!

thanks  :)  I'll post up a link soon.. still preparing it

Offline Tricia41

• Super Hero
  • sing
    • Hair by Tricia
I'm trying this again.. I need to write down the password, because I can't get back to this window once the thing prompts me for the username.  :D

Offline snowdoguk

• Super Hero
  • Twang Twang Twang
    • Soundcloud
I'm trying this again.. I need to write down the password, because I can't get back to this window once the thing prompts me for the username.  :D

thanks Tricia  :)

Offline Errol

• Super Hero
    • http://www.reverbnation.com/errolchugg
I'll help. Soon as I get downstairs to the other computer.  :)