Musicians Collaboration Studio

EZ Drumer - A curiosity

Paulo · 35 · 17478

Offline Paulo

• Super Hero
I don't have this toy but went at a friend's studio and showed some tunes using it. One thing that crossed my mind is that the kit used must have been programed by a left handed guy like Phil Collins or Ian Paice, I tell ya what.

I was listening to the hats slitely in the left side and when some fills happened, the rolling from the snare untill the floor tom where happening from left to right. I mean, if I'm looking at a band in front of me, most of the time I see the pieces in the opposite position unless if the drumer is left handed... Now we can say that the speakers were in the wrong position and I thought the same but no... I picked up some phones and heard the same, of course I checked the right position in the phones, lol...

... This not really important, I really don't care, it's only a curiosity  :)

BTW, I liked EZ drumer sound and capability
Live the best you can 'cause you're gonna be dead for a long time.
Respect
Paulo Gomes

Offline Tacman7

I like EZdrummer. It pretty cool if you take the time to put in your own midi loops and fills and use EZ as a librarian.

I got liking got Addictive drums more though. Seemed more realistic.

Now I use my mo6 for sounds, they seem to have more punch.

My idea of what sounds good seems to always be changing.

Offline nitch

I just picked up EZ Drummer, so far its a great tool for songwriting.  I've heard a lot of great EZD demos, hopefully I can figure this thing out and get some good use out of it.

Offline stoman

• Jedi
    • Stoman's website
I'd say the hi-hat is placed in the mix where it fits best. At least that's what I do. I usually place it halfway right, but in some songs it goes to the left side.

The distance from the center position also depends on the song.

BTW: I have Addictive Drums (with retro and jazz extensions). I love it!

Regards,
  Steffen
Always looking for opportunities to mix your songs. Feel free to ask!
My Introductory Post

Offline Paulo

• Super Hero
... but in some songs it goes to the left side.

Regards,
  Steffen

Sure, if you're looking at a band in front of the stage, a left handed drumer has the hats at his right so you see it at the left... But most of the cases it's the oposite  :)
Respect
Paulo Gomes

Offline stoman

• Jedi
    • Stoman's website
What I meant to say was: It depends on the song (and genre). In a (mostly) electronic type of song modeling the setup of a real drum kit makes no sense IMO. In those songs the hi-hat is placed where it suits the song. Which of course is true for standard rock songs as well, but it isn't as obvious there - again IMO.

In live songs, the stereo position depends on the kit - obviously. ;)

In most modern songs the snare is placed dead center. That's not natural either, if you look at the real kit.

BTW, I found that placing the snare slightly right or left often supports the song much better than following that standard "rule". There are even popular songs where the drums are left (or right) and the bass opposite to it. This was done more frequently in the 60s, but there is no reason why it shouldn't be done today.

Regards,
  Steffen
My Introductory Post

Offline CosmicDolphin

• Jedi
  • Do or do not..there is no try
    • Phonicworks : TV Production Music
There are even popular songs where the drums are left (or right) and the bass opposite to it. This was done more frequently in the 60s, but there is no reason why it shouldn't be done today.

One good reason it it sounds terrible !  That was only done in the experimental days when they went from mono to stereo.

CD
We never finish a mix... we simply abandon them.
You can't polish a turd, but you can always spray paint it GOLD
Great songs are not written, they are re-witten

Offline stoman

• Jedi
    • Stoman's website
I listened to a couple of songs in bed recently (i.e. with head phones), and one of them was recorded that way. It sounded GREAT!

It really depends on the song, Mark. And on the skills of the mixing engineer.

In art there is no rule. :)

I'll try to find the song - it might still be on my MP3 stick - and tell you which one it was.

Regards,
  Steffen
My Introductory Post

Offline stoman

• Jedi
    • Stoman's website
My Introductory Post

Offline Paulo

• Super Hero
I place the Drums the way I figure they are when looking at the stage. Kick Center, Snare a little bit to the right, hats a little bit more, and so on... No much sparse 'cause the drums are not that sparce on stage.
Respect
Paulo Gomes

Offline nitch

I can't seem to figure out how to add crash cymbals into a track.  I do not have a midi controller so my only option is using the pre recorded grooves/fills.  I would say 95% of the pre recorded tracks do not have cymbals included.  I'm using Cubase AI4.  Is this achievable?

Offline CosmicDolphin

• Jedi
  • Do or do not..there is no try
    • Phonicworks : TV Production Music
I can't seem to figure out how to add crash cymbals into a track.  I do not have a midi controller so my only option is using the pre recorded grooves/fills.  I would say 95% of the pre recorded tracks do not have cymbals included.  I'm using Cubase AI4.  Is this achievable?

Just use a crash cymbal sample and paste it onto a seperate track...there's lots of free ones around so you should be able to find a good match.

CD
We never finish a mix... we simply abandon them.
You can't polish a turd, but you can always spray paint it GOLD
Great songs are not written, they are re-witten

Offline gbm

• Super Hero
nitch:

The Toontrack compatibility page:

http://www.toontrack.com/products.asp?item=7#4

Cubase SX/Nuendo
Cubase SE/SL

It doesn't show Cubase AI4, maybe AI4 is not compatible

I also have EZ Drummer but have problems dragging and dropping in Fruity Loops via VSTi plug in. But it does sound good!

:)

Offline nitch

gbm: Thanks, I'm pretty sure AI4 is compatible.  I am able to drag and drop pre recorded grooves and loops without any problems.
CD: Thanks for the tip, I'll look into getting a hold of some free samples.  (I really like the cymbal sounds in EZD, hopefully I can sort this out).
Doc: Not exactly sure what drum editor is?  I loaded one of the EZD demo jams into cubase where every drum and cymbal is played throughout the track.  I double clicked on the track and it pulled up a chart showing the midi notes and piano keyes going up the left side of my screen.  Each key is different, I can click it and audition.  There is a box down below and velocity is checked off.  I am stumped from here.  I can't seem to get this individual cymbal(s) into my track.

Thanks for putting up with me guys.  Show me the way.