Musicians Collaboration Studio

Developing a Process

Tacman7 · 12 · 7520

Offline Tacman7

A lot of different ways to do things.

A lot of the work of the collaboration doesn't need to be in a public forum.

Getting people together, finding new ideas etc. are good for public.

Like I was thinking about starting a project.

I could send an address/username/password to everyone who was going to participate in the project.

That would give them read/write and ftp access to a folder on my webspace. That would be accessable from http to anyone who knew the address.

The discussions could be email, PM, or in the original thread. This would be a place for file storage, and the MCS project thread could be kept up to date as things progress.

That should be ok?

Also what is the eventual disposition of songs created?

So I write a song and someone does a guitar track.

If Money was actually made (gasp!) each person would get a percentage?
Or a studio musicians fee/rate?
I guess there is a difference if you collaborate on songwriting or someone just does a guitar or drum part.

Offline NickT

• NickT
  • Administrator
  • Super Hero
  • Here I am!
    • Ain't TV
Tac,

People have sense of curiosity. Some hang for the entertainment of watching a song develop. There is also entertainment value in watching a project crash and burn. In other words, people enjoy the development process.

Of course you can always recruit help via PM's. I am sure everyone has worked like that along with the collab threads.

Many people post just for fun. Or just to show off a cool riff.

As far as how you work ownership of the songs, There are a bunch of post on that idea.

Actually, surf through the boards, you will find most of this has been covered!

It basically boils down to whatever makes you comfortable.

Nick
NickT

"...My life just Ain't TV..."

www.AintTV.com

www.TestafiedRecords.com

Offline Appleluza

• Appleluza Music
I'm pretty new here, and new to the online collab world.  I think Tac has some good thoughts and maybe some of that will evovle over time.  I would not want to introduce process formality and steps if that gets in the way of people feeling inspired to participate or slows down the flow. 

If I could add a couple of "process improvement" ideas it would be to have something that worked a bit more like a database as opposed to a forum/thread style.  Actually I think Nick has been pretty creative in using the board/forum/posting tools to help structure the process, because he has suggested we update the initial posting with status information, audition icons, file uploads etc.  But having a database that you could search to find open collabs, open collabs needing a country-style acoustic guitarist, collabs in process that fit into a particular genre, players that meet certain style or skill criteria, finished collabs which included a certain keyboard player, etc - would be cool.  Maybe required if this site had hundreds or thousands of visitors.

I have also thought it might be good to have a thread or a sticky posting in the how to forum dealing with leagal issues.  Maybe we should have someone create a standard release form so that when the collab is finished it is clear who "owns" the collab, as well as the copyright for the underlying music, lyric and arrangement if that is important.  Probably not a big deal for most of what happens here, but it might be for some songs.

Don't take this as a criticism of what we got now - which I think is very cool and very exceptional as is.

Rob Talbert
« Last Edit: September 25, 2006, 07:09:45 AM by Appleluza »
Rob Talbert, Songwriter and Producer for Appleluza, a virtual multi-genre band.

Offline NickT

• NickT
  • Administrator
  • Super Hero
  • Here I am!
    • Ain't TV
But having a database that you could search to find open collabs

Appleluza - We can search the collabs by many criteria. Genre is not one of them. But you can get pretty specific using the Collab Search function to the left.

Genre is a good way to categorize songs. But there are so many different categories. I did think about this...and will revisit. Most of the sites I have seen that start to categorize, drop it because people get confused or don't know what to call there music.

Thanks!

Nick
NickT

www.AintTV.com

www.TestafiedRecords.com

Offline adf

Keep it simple Nick - that's the appeal of this site for me. Visually uncluttered.

Andy

Offline Studioplayer

• Super Hero
  • Overdrive
    • Reverbnation Website
The way this forum is set up is probably the best I've seen so far. The icons are the cats meow.  8) I can visually scan for any guitar or bass work. It works great. Genre isn't needed. As you get to know who's who, you will know what to expect most of the time. Even still I will listen to every song posted just for the enjoyment of following it's progression. It's almost as much fun as creating one. In your original 'title' post you could simply put the name, genre & bpm. I usually do. Use the icons for auditions. Keep it simple and have fun !!  :)

Now I just wish people would remove the icons as the audition is filled. That can get confusing.

Dave

Offline NickT

• NickT
  • Administrator
  • Super Hero
  • Here I am!
    • Ain't TV
Now I just wish people would remove the icons as the audition is filled. That can get confusing.

Dave

I agree Dave! It only takes a second.

I am also about to announce a house cleaning session for the threads to get the file count down.

:)

Nick
NickT

www.AintTV.com

www.TestafiedRecords.com

Offline luisma1972

• LMA Project Page

Dave

I agree Dave! It only takes a second.

I am also about to announce a house cleaning session for the threads to get the file count down.

:)

Nick

I agree on a 100 percent. The way to mantain this forum clean and sound is updating threads on a regular basis. 
Luis Manuel Aguilar

Offline Sharpola

• Poppin' Rockers
  • Super Hero
  • my my bless my soul miga diga baga nig nictin toe
    • Sharpola on Facebook
I'm probably the most guilty of leaving files unattended, is it possible to have a automated pm after a certain time has elapsed on a thread to remind people of files that  need to be taking down? sounds like too much trouble just typing it out :)

Ray

Offline Gerk

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
  • code monkey no sing!
    • Studio Gerk Pics
That's not a place that's easy to go, you are right.

I think what we can do is to try and build it into a routine to clean out all the attachments (in fact maybe I can build an admin tool to do this) once a collab is finished... I'll let my overworked brain simmer on this one for a bit :)

Mark

Offline NickT

• NickT
  • Administrator
  • Super Hero
  • Here I am!
    • Ain't TV
That's not a place that's easy to go, you are right.

I think what we can do is to try and build it into a routine to clean out all the attachments (in fact maybe I can build an admin tool to do this) once a collab is finished... I'll let my overworked brain simmer on this one for a bit :)

Mark

I smell smoke!  >:D
NickT

www.AintTV.com

www.TestafiedRecords.com

Offline sergio

I'm probably the most guilty of leaving files unattended, is it possible to have a automated pm after a certain time has elapsed on a thread to remind people of files that  need to be taking down? sounds like too much trouble just typing it out :)

Ray

Or would it be possible in the member profile to list all post with attachments (that would help me clean up my old junk).

sergio
Symbiotic Sounds