File formats - Why we use what we use!

NickT · 74 · 54205

Offline NickT

• NickT
  • Administrator
  • Super Hero
  • Here I am!
    • Ain't TV
It seems we have figured out many things about music file types. I think if we can stick to a standard, it will help us all.

• WMA: We have found that mp3 adds a little dead air to the beginning of a file. Wma does not. So this is the preferred file format for "working" files. Of course if you use Mac...we will have to play with the mp3 file to line it up.
  • APE:This is monkey audio's lossless file format. This is a good compression format that will keep your tracks sounding great. We mix to wav...then compress to ape and post. Works great for your finished tracks.

I will provide a better list but here are some links:

These should get you started!
« Last Edit: September 07, 2006, 07:56:01 AM by NickT »
NickT

"...My life just Ain't TV..."

www.AintTV.com

www.TestafiedRecords.com

Offline adf

Nick

Don't forget us Mac users - APE files aren't so useful. And, although I can convert WMA files for use in Cubase, I can't export them. So, MP3 is my chosen format, until there's an easier way.

Maybe that's why I'm a lyric writer!  ;D

Andy

Offline NickT

• NickT
  • Administrator
  • Super Hero
  • Here I am!
    • Ain't TV
Nick

Don't forget us Mac users - APE files aren't so useful. And, although I can convert WMA files for use in Cubase, I can't export them. So, MP3 is my chosen format, until there's an easier way.

Andy

You are right Andy...

If you are a MAC user...AIFF or WAV for your final tracks...we will just deal with the size.

Thanks!
NickT

www.AintTV.com

www.TestafiedRecords.com

Offline Cary

...AIFF or WAV for your final tracks...we will just deal with the size.

Thanks!

I believe file size is not the only consideration.  I think the file transfer speed can be an issue for some users.  It's safe to say that in the coming years, transfer speeds will continue to increase.  The problem will slowly go away.

If it's going to be OK to put wavs up, I'm all for that.  I'd rather see good use of wavs vs. poorly converted ape files.  By that, I'm talking about mono wav files converted into stereo ape files, or even mono source files rendered as stereo files.  That is a total waste of system resources and bandwidth.

Cary

Offline Sharpola

• Poppin' Rockers
  • Super Hero
  • my my bless my soul miga diga baga nig nictin toe
    • Sharpola on Facebook
Hmmm I've probably done this everytime... I'll have to be more careful

Quote from: Cary

If it's going to be OK to put wavs up, I'm all for that.  I'd rather see good use of wavs vs. poorly converted ape files.  By that, I'm talking about mono wav files converted into stereo ape files, or even mono source files rendered as stereo files.  That is a total waste of system resources and bandwidth.

Offline r4m

• Super Hero
I think Ootle zips wav files. What do you think about that?

Offline Sharpola

• Poppin' Rockers
  • Super Hero
    • Sharpola on Facebook

Offline Cary

Just zipping wavs degrades the audio...

I don't believe that's true.  Where did you learn that - can you point me to a link or something?
Cary

Offline Bobby Watson

• Super Hero
  • What's a band without members?
    • Backporch Dreams
I understand that flac is an alternative.
Granted, I continue to use .ape  Simply because it works, and, I've not had occasion to need to change. But, I understand flac is Mac compatible. And, supports 24bit

Then, I could be wrong...  Anyone had any experience with it.. I do know that someone asked me to consider it once before. But, can't remember who..

Just a thought....
BW@

Offline Sharpola

• Poppin' Rockers
  • Super Hero
    • Sharpola on Facebook
I always though it was general knowledge in the audio community, I remember people telling me from audio lists & sites I've been on not to do it.. and I rarely see zipped wav's

but I'm just going by what I thought true, looks like I might be wrong.. (googled it)

Ray

Just zipping wavs degrades the audio...

I don't believe that's true.  Where did you learn that - can you point me to a link or something?

Offline Bassic_Soul

• Rollin with the flow
Nick

Andy

Just a thought about something that I know nothing about, (Oxymoron or just plain moron). :P

Gerk has posted several times on CC about a fix for .wma's for Macs.

Preston

Offline Paulo

• Super Hero
Zipping or raring or whatever else doesn't lose quality, have you guys lost a bit of a program when zipped it, i did not, so why should it lose with audio files?.... Anyway I've tried and it it works and one advantage over apes is that it works with 24bit files.
Live the best you can 'cause you're gonna be dead for a long time.
Respect
Paulo Gomes

Offline NickT

• NickT
  • Administrator
  • Super Hero
  • Here I am!
    • Ain't TV
Forgive me if I'm wrong. But I ape 24bit files and they uncompress to 24bit.

Nick
NickT

www.AintTV.com

www.TestafiedRecords.com

Offline digitaldrummer

• digitaldrummer.net
Zipping does not alter the data.  only compresses (makes a smaller binary) and uncompresses it (restores the original binary). 

I usually APE 16-bit 44.1 just because 24-bit files are 50% larger than 16-bit and my Roadrunner upload sucks.  Downloads are no problem though and when I really ahve to upload something large, I do it somewhere else (i.e., not at home).

Mp3's will alter the audio  (it is not lossless).  I would like to dig into the issue of "dead space" and all a little more though.  I haven't seen the problem myself so I wonder if its due to a specific codec?  I use lame.exe (v3.93, command line version, http://lame.sourceforge.net/).  what is everyone else using?

Offline Paulo

• Super Hero
Forgive me if I'm wrong. But I ape 24bit files and they uncompress to 24bit.

Nick

Hmmm, Nick. Maybe you have some other codecs. It looks like I can ape 24bit files, but when going o unape them, it doesn't work. I've seen this problem in some other forums, can you check what you're saying? Because if that's true, you are the first one I know that can do that.
Live the best you can 'cause you're gonna be dead for a long time.
Respect
Paulo Gomes