Musicians Collaboration Studio

File formats - Why we use what we use!

NickT · 74 · 53605

Offline Gerk

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
  • code monkey no sing!
    • Studio Gerk Pics
More importantly have they released the OSX version yet? grrrr hehe.

Offline E-mann

• E-man
    • Music Of E-man
So we can use wave instead of ape right? My software doesn't support ape.

NEW MUSIC MYSPACE!!!! http://www.myspace.com/emanuelnn

Offline CosmicDolphin

• Jedi
  • Do or do not..there is no try
    • Phonicworks : TV Production Music
So we can use wave instead of ape right? My software doesn't support ape.

What you using ?
We never finish a mix... we simply abandon them.
You can't polish a turd, but you can always spray paint it GOLD
Great songs are not written, they are re-witten

Offline CosmicDolphin

• Jedi
audacity

You can export to wav and then use monkeys audio to convert the wave to ape....or from ape back to wav if you need to.

www.monkeysaudio.com

Offline Gerk

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
  • code monkey no sing!
    • Studio Gerk Pics
Yes that's my workflow here.  I export a wav and then re-compress as an ape.  Getting ape files it's the other way around, download the ape file, de-compress into a wav, load into DAW.

Mark

Offline Bassic_Soul

• Rollin with the flow

Live & Learn,

I had no idea that my mono bass tracks were being converted to stereo by the .ape files I upload. Is there a way to prevent that?

I was browsing here to see why my uploads weren't going throuh today.  ;D
Preston

Offline Gerk

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
  • code monkey no sing!
    • Studio Gerk Pics

Live & Learn,

I had no idea that my mono bass tracks were being converted to stereo by the .ape files I upload. Is there a way to prevent that?

Hey Preston

Are you sure they are getting converted to stereo when they are turned into apes?  It's likely that they are getting turned into stereo when you export them ... the default for most DAW's is to output to a stereo bus when exporting, so you might want to double check that you are in fact exporting mono files :)

Mark

Offline CosmicDolphin

• Jedi

Live & Learn,

Changing them to ape files wouldn't convert them to stereo

Offline Era

• Studio
Guys - I found out yesterday that Adobe Audition CC opens .apes in your mac :) (prolly in Windows too)
You can then render wav, mp or whatever suitable to your DAW :)

Cheers!
I am that I am

Offline usalabs

I know this is a very old post, but I've been using MP3 for years for uploading/downloading, and I've never had any problems with syncing in a DAW, that's why I use Cakewalk Sonar X3 PE, for some reason, I think it converts the MP3 back in to wav, granted, music producers would prefer raw WAV, and so do I for uploading seps, or for mixing seps, but for general mixdowns I always use MP3, as long as I keep the sample rate at 44100Hz, and the bit rate as 32 bit, and using all defaults for the MP3 conversion, I don't hear any difference between MP3 or WAV, the only visual, difference is the file size.  For uploading, MP3 is much faster, and many times I've tried WAV and even though the file size can be quite large for a 3-4 minute song, uploading large files can be and are subject to transfer errors, and failed uploads, hence the need to use MP3 for uploading.

Offline CosmicDolphin

• Jedi
I know this is a very old post, but I've been using MP3 for years for uploading/downloading, and I've never had any problems with syncing in a DAW, that's why I use Cakewalk Sonar X3 PE, for some reason, I think it converts the MP3 back in to wav, granted, music producers would prefer raw WAV, and so do I for uploading seps, or for mixing seps, but for general mixdowns I always use MP3, as long as I keep the sample rate at 44100Hz, and the bit rate as 32 bit, and using all defaults for the MP3 conversion, I don't hear any difference between MP3 or WAV, the only visual, difference is the file size.  For uploading, MP3 is much faster, and many times I've tried WAV and even though the file size can be quite large for a 3-4 minute song, uploading large files can be and are subject to transfer errors, and failed uploads, hence the need to use MP3 for uploading.

Sorry but you are incorrect, it's been documented multiple times here..if you send an MP3 to another musician for tracking pusposes when you get that part back it it won't line up properly with what you have in your own DAW. The MP3 process adds padding bits which will throw timing off by a random number of milliseconds, it's a known part of the MP3 file format design.

It's more apparent on stuff like drums where it can throw the feel of the track off  but the internet is so fast these days I can upload a wav faster than I used to an MP3 10 yrs ago

Offline NickT

• NickT
  • Administrator
  • Super Hero
  • Here I am!
    • Ain't TV
We have also determined that the windows .wma does not add any time to the file.
NickT

"...My life just Ain't TV..."

www.AintTV.com

www.TestafiedRecords.com

Offline Gerk

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
  • code monkey no sing!
    • Studio Gerk Pics
We have also determined that the windows .wma does not add any time to the file.

Correct.  WMA doesn't pad the frames like MP3 does (but it does make it more complicated for people who don't use windows as it's a pretty unfriendly format outside of windows).  It probably depends on what you're doing and how picky you are about it.  Lots of people do use MP3 and don't notice any differences.  You can always try and manually re-shift all the content back to the proper spot after the fact (once you've converted to a format that allows it), but unless you've got sync markers or a good click up front of every track that can be pretty painful too.