Musicians Collaboration Studio

Who Are You ? ( CD, Studioplayer, Billy, Albino, Doc, Cyclone, Severing )

Offline musobass

• I'm a Bassist/songwriter Let's collaborate!!!
Great performances! Great mix, and a great vibe as well!  completely enjoyable!!

Offline CosmicDolphin

• Jedi
  • Do or do not..there is no try
    • Phonicworks : TV Production Music
Great performances! Great mix, and a great vibe as well!  completely enjoyable!!

Thanks Mike !
We never finish a mix... we simply abandon them.
You can't polish a turd, but you can always spray paint it GOLD
Great songs are not written, they are re-witten

Offline soulfrontier

• Super Hero
    • soulfrontier online
wow Mark that's indeed different from all that I've heard from you so far. Dark wave, shades of Depeche Mode in it...great!

Offline CosmicDolphin

• Jedi
wow Mark that's indeed different from all that I've heard from you so far. Dark wave, shades of Depeche Mode in it...great!

Thanks holger, yes that's exactly what I was going for >:D

I think there were hints of it with a couple of tracks from the last album but now it's a project to make a dark album all the way.

Cd

Offline nitch

Offline CosmicDolphin

• Jedi
You should loose your pick more often!!!
Great job everyone.

Lol, it wasn't lost just wanted a different sound and don't own a metal one  >:D

Offline CosmicDolphin

• Jedi
Guys...had some Pro Feedback from Mike Senior for this one....needless to say I am revisiting the mix to see if I can improve it  :o

Vocals need to be much clearer; it sounds too much like a headphone balance at the moment. I notice that in your reference track (Personal Jesus ) the vocal balance is quite low, but I'm not sure that it represents the best reference in this respect for you because it doesn't have to deal with the intelligibility problems of the distortion patch you've used.

When you're using a distorted vocal tone like this, it can help to feed a little undistorted signal through to the mix as well to help with the intelligibility -- just be careful with the phase relationship because there's the possibility of comb-filtering problems with some distortion plug-ins.

That vocal level (as well as the heavy delay/reverb effects) does make it sound a bit dated.

- there's nothing particularly upfront in DM mix, so relatively speaking it doesn't feel quite as far away at a given volume somehow.

The upfront wide-panned percussion you've got only emphasises the recessed nature of your vocals, and again headphones probably wouldn't make this as obvious.

Generally masking is clouding this mix rather too much. The guitar line at 1:34 is a case is point, because I'd really like to be able to hear that a bit better -- it's a really characterful sound. As with the last mix, I think it's a question of deciding more assertively what's important at each given moment, and being pretty ruthless in clearing other layers away with editing/filtering so that the carefully programmed details of the most important elements can be heard. The Depeche Mode track does this quite actively, for example, and often seems to target the gaps between phrases for its little quirky details.

The bass seems to be trading much too heavily on its 60-70Hz zone, so it comes across as a bit tubby on a full-range system, but doesn't translate well to small-speaker systems -- a lose-lose situation, I'm afraid! :) The kick also hits this region hard, and therefore overlaps with the bass fundamental every second bar, which is a recipe for balancing and headroom problems. In addition the lack of conic differentiation between the kick and bass makes it difficult to make the kick audible in the mix in its own right -- if you fade it up enough for the instrument's more small-speaker friendly tonal characteristics to come through, it sounds like you've boosted the bass way out of balance.

I suspect it's on account of the bias that these powerful LF elements have on your perception of the overall tonal quality that the overall tonality of the mix (bass and vocals aside) feels rather gutless sub-800Hz. I reckon that you would have spotted this issue much more easily if you had listened to the mix a few times without the bass, which is a trick that's extremely useful when mixing anything that has a very powerful bass line -- and indeed in general.

Offline Studioplayer

• Super Hero
  • Overdrive
    • Reverbnation Website
Cool tune.  8)  I think you have to take the critique with a grain of salt. Personally I think this song just needs just a bit of sub bass to give it a bit more bottom end. The vocals are cool and everything else is pretty darn fine. Love going back to this old stuff with new ears. You don't realize how good it is until later. :) 

Offline CosmicDolphin

• Jedi
Cool tune.  8)  I think you have to take the critique with a grain of salt. Personally I think this song just needs just a bit of sub bass to give it a bit more bottom end. The vocals are cool and everything else is pretty darn fine. Love going back to this old stuff with new ears. You don't realize how good it is until later. :) 

Thanks Bro  !..oh my 6yrs and I haven't finished the rest of the album   

Mike is right on the whole, but the cool thing is doing all this production music over the last 2yrs is really helping improve my skills so when I do finally get back to it I should be able to take it to a new level..plus I've 3yrs of singing lessons..no more autotune required !

Offline NickT

• NickT
  • Administrator
  • Super Hero
  • Here I am!
    • Ain't TV
I missed this one. Very cool vibe.

I wish I hadn't read the critique first, Found myself listening for his points.

Good job all.

NickT
NickT

"...My life just Ain't TV..."

www.AintTV.com

www.TestafiedRecords.com

Offline CosmicDolphin

• Jedi
I missed this one. Very cool vibe.

I wish I hadn't read the critique first, Found myself listening for his points.

Good job all.

NickT

I will finish properly one day Nick so he can't complain !