Musicians Collaboration Studio

Hard Rain (Feedback)

Guest · 7 · 4814

Gabriel

This is Hard Rain

Began March 30
8 re-writes (and a big pile of buffalo muffins in the corner)
Time: Came in at 4:10 (tried to keep it under 4)
The song was written by myself (took some heat for my approach but here it is.)

Vocals by: Ali Kat, Allison did a great job on the vocals, tweaked the lyrics a bit for me, good pipes, could easily be great pipes.

This is a blues round, the lyrics tell the story, this person has the blues.
It's been an interesting experience for me and a lot of fun. M.C. is the world.

Feedback would be much appreciated on this piece, good, bad or indifferent.

*Lyrics*

Hard Rain           (Gabriel Rowe & Ali Kat)

There's an evil in the wind,                                 
Tears fallin' from the sky,            
The world is spinning faster,
Getting' harder just to hang on,

The day is cold and faded,         
Hollowness as time stands still,      
I can't remember yesterday,                         
And tomorrow never comes,

(bridge)
I can't see this world                 
My eyes have been shaded,
To this place, no escape            
From the demons in my space,            
It's a hard, hard rain,               

I'm just an empty shadow,            
A lost image of myself,                                         
A river that's run dry,               
An empty shell and nothing else,         

The world is spinning faster,
Getting' harder, harder, harder just to hold on,     
I can't remember yesterday,
My tomorrows never come,

It's a hard rain,
It's a hard rain.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2007, 07:02:31 PM by Gabriel »

Offline NickT

• NickT
  • Administrator
  • Super Hero
  • Here I am!
    • Ain't TV
Glad to see you guys finish this out. Ali you sound great. I like the fuzzy guitar.

Nice job!

Nick
NickT

"...My life just Ain't TV..."

www.AintTV.com

www.TestafiedRecords.com

youtube

Gabriel Congratulations... on your first completed song both to you and Ali.
Great vocals Ali.  8)

The song length being just as tad over 4 minutes is very good. The arrangement is good...  What I like is the bass. It's deep and it's tone is perfect for the song. Not sure who did the drums or if it's all you and Ali. If not maybe you could update the credits. As far as the mix goes it's full round surround sound  ::)  ;D It fills the spectrum really nice. The chorus could have been harmonized some and parts of the song are just a tad too much the same. Not trying to be negative or nit pick. The fuzz guitar is cool. I would have preferred a cleaner full or rock tone on the lead. But that's just my taste and opinion. The organ works well but I would have liked to see some rocked out organ bits. Again nice job. See the song becomes boring when it's too much the same. Maybe drop and section to maintain the dynamics and just have vocals and then the song restarts. The more players with experience and talent you have from here I think in most cases you will get a cool product. The drums were perfect and I love the fills. I like the lyrics and the singing melody.  Maybe some rain sound may have helps. Something is really makes it feel like it's a hard hard rain...  I felt like a different type of vocal effect would have really made it lift.  These are just my opinion. You know you can always go and remix again so there is no loss there. It's best to get the arrangement as good as possible the first pass.

Congratulations Again

Tubes ;)

P.S. my 3 1/2 cents.  ;D

Gabriel

Thanks for the feedback. This song was as much a test for me and my set-up as it was a musical piece. How do you make a song? Good Question. I've found a lot of answers in producing this song. Compressor/limiters, timing, dynamic sound intergration, mixing digital with analog, the list goes on.  I actually thought of putting a piano in place of the rythm guitar, same delay(repeat) and tempo settings, I think a piano would sound better there but I I'm kinda burnt on this piece. Ali likes it and it sounds pretty cool to me.

Tubes - I used samples to create the background track, I sliced them up and created an arrangement (changed it 8 times), Then applied some compression and reverb to get it to pop, this saved a lot of time in "producing" the arrangement. This was an issue with some people although it is done in most professional studios to some extent. I think it was more the specific samples I used and the overall "sound" of the backing track which was what I was going for, but holy ground perhaps.

interesting.

Gabriel
« Last Edit: May 15, 2007, 07:57:00 AM by Gabriel »

youtube

Thanks Gabriel.

Well you got it done and it's a great song. Cheers.  8)

I like the way you put it together.  And my feed back are some issues that may help your next colab.
Some of these things you will see happening in other colab threads. Some not. 

I will look forward to your next project..

Best of Luck

Tubes   ;)

Gabriel

Tubes - I'm putting a new piece together, taking what I've learned here. I would like to have you join in. I'll PM you when I have something to work with and we'll build it, if you have the time to join me.

Gabriel

youtube

Tubes - I'm putting a new piece together, taking what I've learned here. I would like to have you join in. I'll PM you when I have something to work with and we'll build it, if you have the time to join me.

Gabriel

Gabriel to rephrase my response...

If I am available and not working on something else I would be delighted to assist and be part of the co lab.

Tubes