Musicians Collaboration Studio

One Kiss

Offline Studioplayer

• Super Hero
  • Overdrive
    • Reverbnation Website
Ok I am done with this baby!!!!! This had to be one of the hardest mixes I've ever had to do. I am burnt out from it. I hope I got it the best I can. I must have spent a 100 hours on it. Doubling up vocals and instruments. Used every bloody Wav plugin known to man. Acoustics, Electrics, Keys, Bass, Vocals, Drums and effects. At least 15 friggin tracks. Anyways this is the best I can do and the end result. Thanks guys!!! (for giving me a hard one to mix, buggers!!)  :D

Original Music and Guitars by David Patterson (Studioplayer)
Lyrics & Vocals by Paul Townsend (Paul)
Bass by David Timson (Davidinoz)
Piano by Paulo Gomes (Paulo)
Drums by Mike Kosacek (Digitaldrummer)

One Kiss

[VERSE 1]
Girl i know you wanna see me defeated
I just keep thinking about the way i attract you
Keep on, singing this song, madly upbeat until
It's far too late to stop this train that I'm on

[VERSE 2]
And I will try to get you out of my head, i know
It's hard to sever ties with knife unavailable, i'll
Keep on, singing the songs, tragic unfeasible
It's far too late to stop this train that I'm on
....Twenty seconds i'm gone...

[CHORUS]
So call me back, just for one kiss...

[VERSE 3]
It's about time you accept the matter aint over now
Instead of playing around, oblivious to how i feel
Strike that pose, strut your stuff in the red-light shows
It's much too late to stop this mission you're on
....Thirty seconds till melt-down...

[CHORUS]
Then call me back, just for one kiss...
Break me, shake me from this...

[BRIDGE]
I still cant believe
You wont give me a reprieve
That's why I'm trying to leave
You made my mind up so it's ending like this
After just one kiss

[INSTR VERSE]

[VERSE 4]
Though I still try to get you out of my head, i know it's
Nigh on impossible, impossible to let you go so
Bring it on. I'm so changeable
It's far too late to stop this dream goin on
....Forty seconds, and still so strong...

[CHORUS]
So call me back, just for one kiss...
Break me, shake me from this...

[BRIDGE]

I still cant believe
You wont give me a reprieve
That's why I'm trying to leave
You made my mind up so it's ending like this
After just one kiss

[OUTRO]
« Last Edit: December 09, 2006, 08:15:17 PM by Studioplayer »

Offline Paulo

• Super Hero
It sounds great, Dave.
This one turned out beautifull, congratulations to all the involved, you rock, guys  8).
Live the best you can 'cause you're gonna be dead for a long time.
Respect
Paulo Gomes

Offline Caine

really nice!!!

great arrangement. nice melody and awsome vocals! really a charakter of its own...a real trademark!

*THUMBS UP*

Offline Studioplayer

• Super Hero
  • Overdrive
    • Reverbnation Website
Thanks guys. Appreciate the listen.

Nice playing Paulo. I actually like to listen to the piano on it's own.  8)

I just removed the file to replace with another. I forgot to set the title and copyright. Also I didn't give enough space in the beggining. New wma soon.

Thanks. Dave

Offline Davidinoz

• Damn I wish I still looked this good...
Good result Dave. I see you managed to beat my bass into submission. It's sitting quite well now.

Offline Studioplayer

• Super Hero
  • Overdrive
    • Reverbnation Website
Thanks Dave. Actually the bass stood out better but when I did some final eq'ing and such it started to get buried again. This mixing stuff is hard to do. Move this and it changes that!!  ::)

New files up. Wma & Wav.

Dave

youtube

Nice work folks...

It's a nice song and Paul sings it with style. The drums are perfect for this song. Nice touch there.
The piano is well played and fits well. Overall you did a wonderful mix. Congratulations on this song.
I have to listen a couple of times as I am writing this. I like the intro guitar sounds and the acoustic. Works A1. The hats intro ad a nice touch and are well thought out.  I like the bass line too Dave. The lyrics are well written. Some string would have worked well with the chorus, but it finished now so anyways.. and that fuzz lead... could have been better worked with a more tradition strat lead... I do a lot of those lead too. I mean a different guitar tone on the lead. But the lead is played with feeling and does work well. I like the guitar solo. And nice simple ending too.

Great Tune.. Congratulations

Tubes

P.S.

Offline Studioplayer

• Super Hero
  • Overdrive
    • Reverbnation Website
Thanks for the comments Tubey. I agree with the guitar tone. I was actually going to redo it but I got sooo burnt out from listening to it I couldn't find the will to redo it. Maybe if I let it sit for awhile I can bring it out again one day and redo some parts. Appreciate the feedback.  8)

Dave

Offline Paul

Dave, wow, you've done such a great job! It's been a while since i last listened to this, so hearing this new mix really was with fresh ears for me. There are some minor comments i could make about some of the levels, but the important thing is the dynamics are there!!! Excellent, you've really sculpted this into a piece that keeps the interest throughout. Stepping it up through that first chorus is great, and then THE magical moment in the song is that start to verse 3 for me, when it really kicks on.

I'd never have guessed the piano would be such an important addition to this song.... it makes it what it is.

Offline Studioplayer

• Super Hero
  • Overdrive
    • Reverbnation Website
Paul. Please make those minor (or major) comments. Although I'm calling this done it's really only done for now. I would like to go back at it and make some improvements in the near future. I just needed to put this and few other songs to rest for awhile. I have a bunch of tunes I would like to do but don't want to start anything new until I complete a few of these.  :)

Great stuff btw.  8)

Offline Paul

OK... all my private thoughts and not necessarily action items, dont forget!  ;)

The piano seems slightly too loud. Ever so slightly.
One or two vocal lines are hard to make out later in the song, due to the louder instrumentation...
When the vocal/guitar first comes in after the piano intro, that very first guitar stroke sounds like the song is clipping. I'd suggest cutting that first downstroke out.

There's a very clean thing going on in that mix.... it sounds almost live a live mix, as if pianist and vocalsit are in the same room. The oveall balance is excellent, IMO.

Offline Paul

Dave... any chance you can post a vocalless version of that new great mix? Just for kicks, sometime i'd like to try singing it against this new feel.

Offline Studioplayer

• Super Hero
  • Overdrive
    • Reverbnation Website
Hey Paul. Thanks for the input. I'll checkout the areas you're talking about. Also as Youtube suggested about the guitar tone. I had thought of redoing it. Damn... The never-ending song. And I thought it was complete.  :'(

Some of your vocal lines are buried a bit because the original had some very low volume areas. If I tried to boost them too much I would start getting some background noise/hiss. I got the most out of them as I could. That was the best I could do to bring them up.

This was a very tough mix because of many issues. We all had problems with our tracks. Except maybe Paulo's. The keys we're pretty flawless. I had to double up my acoustic to get it to sound good and I should have redone the lead guitar. It was fighting against other parts in some areas. I could have come up with a better tone. As the song got going I couldn't even hear the acoustic anymore. It just got buried in there. I never really got the build I was looking for. I really wanted the song to slowly build up and end off softly or with a bang.  Both your vocal track and David's bass track had some low volume points that were very difficult to bring up. Dave did all these little bass runs that was very low in volume but the best part.  I had to go in to and try to boost every little bass run. Same thing. If I boosted the volume too much in certain areas I would start getting background noise so I got the most out if it I could. Mike drums had some issues as well in that every fill had this boominess to it that was coming from one of his toms. A weird ring. Even though I got his seps it was really hard to get rid of and I never really could. I think the song could have used more dynamics drum wise from the middle to the end as well. I had to add a few high-hat loops on top to get it to fill out more. To give it more dynamics.

It's all good as this was a great learning curve for me.  :) One of the things I learned was that when I boost volume I get background noise and when you do that to more than one track it starts to really muddle things. In hindsight I should have asked everyone for new takes and should have redone my parts. Towards the end of the song it was pretty full of instrumentation and vocals and really hard to mix together. The most difficult part is working with tracks that had to be fixed and boosted. It's better to have really good takes rather than try to fix them. Minor adjustments is the norm but when you have to do more than that it becomes tedious and you can never get it right.

It's too bad because I really like the song and I love the vocals and lyrics. I listen to it often but I know it could have been better in many ways.

I will post a vocalless tonight if you wish. Maybe I could find the will to redo it all. I was just getting really burnt out from it. Just too much listening and fixing. I had to say done !! Maybe some new vocals would reinspire me to make it even better.  :)  ::)  :D

Dave

Whew !! That was a bit of a ramble

Offline Davidinoz

• Damn I wish I still looked this good...
Dave
If you decide to re-visit this I have no problem re-tracking the bass. When I did this one I only played against accoustic guitar, which is why the fills were played softly.

Offline Paul

First Dave, i think you did right posting it and calling it done. I only made those latest comments coz you asked  ;D But seriously....

Both your vocal track and David's bass track had some low volume points that were very difficult to bring up

This is the reason why i kept wanting to retrack the vocals, as ya know. I retracked many times but never quite captured the feeling of the take you used. Thats why i'd love to track against this new mix, i'd then comp the best vocal take i can, and make sure the recording level is nice and high. Don't redo it all, it doesnt need it, you'Ve taken it a million miles further than the previous mix.