Musicians Collaboration Studio

Guitar Amp Plugins

Basil · 25 · 6936

Offline Pleasuredome

• Super Hero
  • Symi Rock
    • My Web Page
I've got a Marshall JMP1 but it is nigh redundant these days, use plugs only because they're so simple :)

Offline CosmicDolphin

• Jedi
  • Do or do not..there is no try
    • Phonicworks : TV Production Music
Even eqing it with high cuts and low.

Interesting ...What frequencies don't you want?

Depends on what's right for the mix.
We never finish a mix... we simply abandon them.
You can't polish a turd, but you can always spray paint it GOLD
Great songs are not written, they are re-witten

Offline Studioplayer

• Super Hero
  • Overdrive
    • Reverbnation Website
Yep. Sometimes I find a guitar tone that I like but it's a bit boomy so I'll cut out all the low. There's really no rules of thumb. What I tend to do lately is take out the lowest lows and the highest highs. The 2 end of the eq spectrum that you don't really hear anyways. It just seems to 'clean up' the sound.

Offline NickT

• NickT
  • Administrator
  • Super Hero
  • Here I am!
    • Ain't TV
I like studio devil into a conv verb of a amp cab.

I heard dimitar do amazing things with a setup like that using:

http://aradaz.blogspot.com/

That one sounds cool too. But Dimitar could make a guitar going through anything sound good! :)

But  use the PodXt 99.9% of the time.
NickT

"...My life just Ain't TV..."

www.AintTV.com

www.TestafiedRecords.com

Offline Argle

• Alchemystic Audio
I wanna check out Revalver III, supposedly it's the best amp sim yet.  But you know how people are.  :D  Still though, it's the only ampsim made by an amp manufacturer... whatever that means.

Offline r4m

• Super Hero
Both a far easier to use than plugs.  :)

Dave

Not when you're trying to change the sound of a guitar already in a mix  ::)

Pod Farm takes care of that.

Offline vad1er

I have Overloud TH1, Podfarm, Guitar rig3, and Amplitube live-

Overloud has been great for Heavy bright lead guitar and Acustic guitar modeling.. but that is it..

Pod farm is pure AWSOMENESS! Not just because of the sound quality.. but also everyone that you know who uses it can share amp models freely with you.. Once you have a really hot sound email it to a friend. I have some tone setups for anyone interested. Also the vocal configurations kick butt.. This is all I us for vocals.

Guitar Rig.. It's ok.. has some cool plexy sounds I like. Great for looping a .wav or .mp3 into your daw if your daw doesn't work with these types of files.

Amplitube has improved slightly.. but it always seems to crash when I use it and the sounds are mediocre..

I was experimenting at one point(months ago) with vst wrapper programs where you can down load riif tones and make your own vst sound I will look around on my (storage drive) and try to find the tools if someone wants to try this. I am just too time constrained and lazy to do make them myself.

Anyway thats my 2 cents...

Offline jerm

• Godthread
Freeamp is OK, it is free.  :)

I use it mainly for bass amp sim, (when I am not using a real bass and sending it through the GNX4 or Johnson station and a Trident/Joe Meek) mostly for midi bass lines that I want to add some punch to.
First I send them through a VST sfz player with a clean sound, then through the Amp sim.
It may work well for guitar, although programming guitar in midi to have a human feel is far more difficult for me than just picking one up and playing so I have not had the need to amp sim a guitar.

you didn't specify what type of guitar you are wanting a software sim for (bass, acoustic 12 string, electric, etc etc) so this may or many not be helpful.
There are some really interesting and usable VST's out there many of them free but for specific guitar instruments.

keep shinin

jerm  8)