Musicians Collaboration Studio

Stop Error

Offline Bassic_Soul

• Rollin with the flow
I moved my question to this fourm because it belongs here. :)

I've afraid I've got computer woes though, my studio PC has 2K Pro and I'm getting a stop error. (Inaccessable Boot Device). I've messed with it several hours last night and downloaded boot up CD's but no joy. Looks like a hard drive issue.  The computer won't boot into safe mode and I've tried the "Last Working configuration" and the CD and I come right back to the stop error. The PC hasn't had anything new loaded on it and has a single hard drive. It has sat idol for a couple of months.

I'm on my new laptop but it was built as a graphics monster for work. I know a lot of you guys are way up on this type of stuff so any advise is welcome.

Because of other obligations I don't have the funds to take this puppy to a geek and just make the problem go away. Any thoughts are welcome. 8)
« Last Edit: October 02, 2007, 01:03:14 PM by Bassic_Soul »
Preston

Offline Sternen

• Jazz isn't dead, it just smells funny. - Zappa
I hate to say this, but it you will probably have to reformat and do a fresh reinstall of windows and all your programs.  Do you have backups of your data files?
http://www.peteclimie.com - Revel in the blandness of a base install of Joomla

Offline Bobby Watson

• Super Hero
  • What's a band without members?
    • Backporch Dreams
It has sat idol for a couple of months.

It's been my luck over the years that electronics gear, inclusive of computer have a way of committing suicide setting on the shelf, so to speak. Especially if the power has been removed from it....

Sorry to say, it sounds like you have lost the drive. If you have access to a system boot disk (floppy), assuming that the computer has a floppy drive, you can narrow it down to the drive, if the computer will at least boot from another source.

Good luck Preston.  Hate to see you come back and not have any cars and trucks to play with in the sand box with us...  :(
BW@

Offline Tacman7

I guess my procedure on this would be to remove the drive and make it a slave and put it in another computer and run software to check and see if the drive is ok.

If it is ok then the OS is probably messed up. I was never a fan of any 2k, I would switch to XPpro. Or repartition the drive and start fresh with what you have. Seems like Windows needs that once in a while. Be sure and pull any data you need off it with the other computer first though.

It's hard to put any money into an older computer when you could use that money towards a new computer. You get so much more for your money now days.

Offline Gerk

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
  • code monkey no sing!
    • Studio Gerk Pics
It has sat idol for a couple of months.

It's been my luck over the years that electronics gear, inclusive of computer have a way of committing suicide setting on the shelf, so to speak. Especially if the power has been removed from it....

Yep, sadly I have to agree with this, I have never had good luck in this regard either.

Hope you get things worked out!

Offline Bassic_Soul

• Rollin with the flow
Thanks for the input guys, not really what I wanted to hear though. :-[

Things picked up down here again, so I'll come back to it ASAP. Sounds like the damage is done.

Thanks again. 8)
Preston