Musicians Collaboration Studio

New Unintentional side effect Sonar Feature

Offline CosmicDolphin

• Jedi
  • Do or do not..there is no try
    • Phonicworks : TV Production Music
I was having trouble with Sonar 7.2 keep on crashing , something to do with a USB driver type problem - every hour or so , if I did certain things I just got a BSOD.

Well I updated every driver I could , changed USB ports etc and now it seems to have stopped crashing....

But I have this new feature now.........when I have Sonar open , If I click on something in a normal Windows program like Explorer or Outlook , when it plays any sounds it makes any Sonar project that's playing at the same time speed up.

I call it instant Chipmunks. :)

I'm guessing that the sample rate is changing somehow...if I go back and stop Sonar and re-play the track it'll go back to the right speed.

It's better than getting a BSOD all the time , but I like to browse the MC or check email whilst I'm mixing...and everything makes a little click when your browsing which triggers the effect.  Chipmunk remixes anyone ?

CD
We never finish a mix... we simply abandon them.
You can't polish a turd, but you can always spray paint it GOLD
Great songs are not written, they are re-witten

Offline Blades

Do you have more than one soundcard. It sounds like your "music" soundcard has become the default Windows soundcard and is being used by apps like media player as their default.  Maybe that's the way you want it, maybe it's not happening like that at all...just a guess.

At any rate - if Sonar is set at 44 and the defaults at the Windows level (at least you can do this in Vista) are 48, you'd probably see some issues.  You must have "share devices with other programs" checked in Sonar.

What I do is use my onboard sound card with its speaker outs plugged into a Y cable - half going to multimedia speakers and the other half going to an input pair on my Layla - this way I can listen to games/music or whatever in either set of speakers - it also lets me run a mix I've done myself through both as a final check - not that I really like the sound of the MM speakers for any music, but if it's WAY too boomy, I may do some adjustments.

Does that help at all?

Offline CosmicDolphin

• Jedi
Everything is set to run through my Tascam soundcard, including windows sounds...

I'll see if i can change the sample rate , I don't use any computer speakers or the onboard audio card

Thanks

CD

Offline Letizia

• LetiziaMusic.com
hi CD,

you could also turn of windows sounds.... control panel --> sounds and audio devices -->  sounds tab --> selct 'no sounds' in the drop down menu under 'sound scheme'

Offline CosmicDolphin

• Jedi
I know but I like to have some sounds at least

Offline Gerk

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
  • code monkey no sing!
    • Studio Gerk Pics
Yep sounds like sampling rate changes to me, windows can do evil things when it shares your soundcard with your DAW.  Don't have a good solution for you aside from taking the windows sounds off to another device :/