Musicians Collaboration Studio

Fixed !! New DAW & soundcard hell.

Offline Studioplayer

• Super Hero
  • Overdrive
    • Reverbnation Website
OK, So I have a new DAW. Quad core, XP, 2g ram, and my new E-mu 1212m soundcard. Loaded lots of my programs and plugs. First BIG issue. Latency !! I have sound out (no problem) and so far I can only get sound in with my 1/4" inputs. (Can't get s/pdif sound. Another issue)  :(

Anyways I go to hit record, Sonar 7 or Acid Pro along with a drum loop and my recorded file is coming in after the beat. It's not recording on time. Any ideas how to solve that? Never had that problem before.  :'(

Also if anyone has the 1212M soundcard, what's the 'Patchmix DSP Mixer' for? 

Help!!!

Bummed... Dave :'(
« Last Edit: June 29, 2008, 07:40:06 PM by Studioplayer »

Offline Basil

• http://www.bandmix.com/mike-basil/
Hi Dave,

Computer problems suck >:(

I have an idea that may help.
Control Panel
Sound and Audio Devices
Audio Tab/ Advance
Proformance
Or
check hardware tab and find your sound card....there may be a setting that can be tweeked.

It's worth a try.

Offline Basil

• http://www.bandmix.com/mike-basil/
Might want to check out ASIO4All.com

This helped with my latency problem.

Offline NickT

• NickT
  • Administrator
  • Super Hero
  • Here I am!
    • Ain't TV

Offline Studioplayer

• Super Hero
  • Overdrive
    • Reverbnation Website
OK. I'm jumping the gun a bit I guess. I didn't realize the Patchmix was an important part.  ::) I got the S/pdif working. Wow!! Bright clear sound. Still have latency. Hmmm. Guess I'll have to go through all the instructions. Tons of it!!  :(

Thanks Nick, I'll check out the link. I may have to pick your brain if I'm stuck. I know you have the same card.

Dave

Gonna be great once I get it all figured out.

Offline Studioplayer

• Super Hero
  • Overdrive
    • Reverbnation Website
Yep. Good links. I've installed all the updates and proper drivers. The Sound On Sound article looks good. SOS article "but many PC musicians find various aspects of their associated Patchmix DSP utility difficult to comprehend. It's not that the mixer is difficult to use; more that it offers so many possible options that it can be difficult for the newcomer to perform even basic tasks."  ;D YEP !!!

What's the stereo defaults and templates Nick?

Downloading em. THANKS !!! I hate this part of setting up.  :P
« Last Edit: June 28, 2008, 11:44:15 PM by Studioplayer »

Offline NickT

• NickT
  • Administrator
  • Super Hero
  • Here I am!
    • Ain't TV
The templates and session opr whatever they are called should be quick setups that work with sonar.I couldn't tell you a thing about patchmix! I set mine up with the help of the stuff I posted and forgot about it. I really don't use the patchmix plugs at all.

Probably great for zero latency FX...just never use them.

I use the asio drivers. The newest drivers are out so you might want to check your versions.

Let me know if you get stuck.

Nick
NickT

"...My life just Ain't TV..."

www.AintTV.com

www.TestafiedRecords.com

Offline Tacman7

Patchmix is Great, but you have to get used to it.

I used to have a mixing board and run everything through it and then into the computer.

Patchmix is so much more flexible, I sold the mixer.

I'm not wild about the onchip effects, I don't use them but they could be used.

I have the 1820m and with 18inputs I can leave everything plugged in and reroute how everything is plugged in very easy.

Good for recording guitar then sending it out for modeling and back into the computer for monitoring.

I use the S/Pdif loop for outboard effects processing as a system effect.
It's really easy to drag the outboard processor to a channel to use as an insert effect when you need it.

Understanding the sends and channels is very important.
So in your DAW you choose inputs available from the sends you put in patchmix and choose outputs according to the strips you've setup in patchmix.
The new software is cool because you can have two mono inputs or a stereo input from an input pair. I'm always changing things to improve workflow.

Offline Studioplayer

• Super Hero
  • Overdrive
    • Reverbnation Website
I'm slowly starting to get my brain around it. Still having lots of issues. I seem to have my tracks recording on time now in Sonar. Acid pro is still lagging. Weird. I was able to record 3 tracks at once with my pod. L&R in and stereo S/pdif. Pretty cool. I thought it was sounding great but as I check the properties on the recorded files it's only 16bit. My bit rate is grayed out. It's supposed to be 24. Damn.... This is not fun.  :(

I'll keep at it.

Offline NickT

• NickT
  • Administrator
  • Super Hero
  • Here I am!
    • Ain't TV
What sample rate are you using? I do 24X44.

Did you get rid of the aud.ini File? It will rebuild when you fire up sonar again.

Did you try one of the sessions?

Nick

NickT

"...My life just Ain't TV..."

www.AintTV.com

www.TestafiedRecords.com

Offline Tacman7

You can change the sample rate in Patchmix but you can also do it in cubase.

But the bit depth is in project setup in cubase, sonar must have something like that in the control panel or something?

Where was 24bit grayed out?

What driver are you using in Sonar? Needs to be EmuAsio or something like that, I'm not in the studio now.

I run 24/48.

Just takes time.

Offline Studioplayer

• Super Hero
  • Overdrive
    • Reverbnation Website
What sample rate are you using? I do 24X44.

Did you get rid of the aud.ini File? It will rebuild when you fire up sonar again.

Did you try one of the sessions?

Nick

I'm using 24x44

Didn't get rid of an aud.ini file. Didn't know there is one.  ??? NOTE: I'm learning Sonar at the same time. I use to use Acid Pro.

I tried a couple of the sessions but it made my sound go nuts!! Tons of noise. ???

Offline Studioplayer

• Super Hero
  • Overdrive
    • Reverbnation Website
You can change the sample rate in Patchmix but you can also do it in cubase.

But the bit depth is in project setup in cubase, sonar must have something like that in the control panel or something?

Where was 24bit grayed out?

What driver are you using in Sonar? Needs to be EmuAsio or something like that, I'm not in the studio now.

I run 24/48.

Just takes time.

I tried Asio in Sonar and my 24bit is grayed out. When I set it to WDM/KS ???  I get more options. I'll check the rate in Patchmix. Haven't tried 24/48.

I'll keep playing around. So far not working too well. I get everything from no sound to multi-track 16 bit recording to lag & stuttering to my recordings not coming in on time. Arrrgghhh..... It's hard to say exactly what I'm doing. Right now I have to go into the house to connect to the internet. I think I'm going to get a wireless card today so I can go online in the studio. At least that way I can look up some possible solutions.

It's all fast equipment and a good soundcard. Should be a piece of cake but...  :'(

This is why I hesitated to change my equipment. I'm sure it will work out in the end. LOL
« Last Edit: June 29, 2008, 03:28:51 PM by Studioplayer »

Offline Studioplayer

• Super Hero
  • Overdrive
    • Reverbnation Website
In Sonar when I set it to WDM/KS drivers I get options for bit rate. I set it to 24 and it records 16.  ???

When I set it to ASIO it grays out the options. It says 24 in the gray area. Still records 16.

I can only find sample rates on the Patchmix. I don't see any mention of bit rates.

OK...I'll keep reading articles and manuals. See if I can figure this out.  ::)

Offline NickT

• NickT
  • Administrator
  • Super Hero
  • Here I am!
    • Ain't TV