Musicians Collaboration Studio

Songs I finshed a DEACADE AGO ! ....Part 1

Offline CosmicDolphin

• Jedi
  • Do or do not..there is no try
    • Phonicworks : TV Production Music
As it'd been 10 years since I finished my previous Album and I'd been doing some mastering for Curtis, I figured I'd master my old Album .  I'd lost the CD when I moved house but my buddy who wrote and recorded it with me made me a new copy and I couldn't resist loading it into Wavelab.

So this was collabing old style...i.e. Going around to each others house !

The equipment was much more basic too....we had :

8 track recorder  ( cassette based )

A Radio Shack PZM & and SM58

A mixer -  reverb - delay - Aphex Exciter - Marshall amp - Yamaha Sy35 & Sy22 Synths  - Alesis SR16 - Cakewalk ( just midi )

There was probably a couple more things we borrowed but that was the main setup..one of the songs has my actual alarm clock on it, stuff like that.

Everything was mixed down to DCC ( Digital compact Cassette ) whilst being run through the Aphex Exciter..you'll notice we had no compressor , so the vocals wander in and out sometimes, and obviously there was no vocal tuning apart from singing it again.

After it was done I managed to borrow a very early Pioneer CD recorder, I think it was one of only a few on the market at the time and was Very expensive, and copied my DCC masters digitally to a CD.

We sent it off to Sound On Sound Magazine and got a positive review in the Sept '98 edition using the name ' Universe '

Although it doesn't sound that great now it was done with about 18 months and was a massive learning curve !

The album I'm putting together now was the one I started after this one  :-\ ...Life kinda got in the way !

CD
We never finish a mix... we simply abandon them.
You can't polish a turd, but you can always spray paint it GOLD
Great songs are not written, they are re-witten