Musicians Collaboration Studio

Recording Dry Guitar

Offline Studioplayer

• Super Hero
  • Overdrive
    • Reverbnation Website
Help. I can't seem to get my brain around this today. I'm about to upgrade and reinstall everything on my DAW including my new Emu 1212M soundcard. I wouldn't mind using some of the programs available such as Guitar Rig and other amp sims which means I need to record dry.

How do I record dry and hear some effects while I'm recording so I can get the feel? I had a plan at one time but forgot. Hmmmm   ??? ::)

Dave

Offline NickT

• NickT
  • Administrator
  • Super Hero
  • Here I am!
    • Ain't TV
Help. I can't seem to get my brain around this today. I'm about to upgrade and reinstall everything on my DAW including my new Emu 1212M soundcard. I wouldn't mind using some of the programs available such as Guitar Rig and other amp sims which means I need to record dry.

How do I record dry and hear some effects while I'm recording so I can get the feel? I had a plan at one time but forgot. Hmmmm   ??? ::)

Dave

In about a week when you get your brain around the 1212M......

LOL Just kiding....maybe a day or two. i think I posted a great article on the card.

Anyway, back on topic. You need to put the GR or AMP as an effect on the track and use the input monitoring setting (Depends on your DAW). And set the latency as low as you can. Do the guitars before you start adding a bunch of plugs so you can keep the latency low.

nick

NickT

"...My life just Ain't TV..."

www.AintTV.com

www.TestafiedRecords.com

Offline Studioplayer

• Super Hero
  • Overdrive
    • Reverbnation Website
Nick. After looking at the manual for the 1212M it will take at least a week to figure that thing out. Lots to it including a bunch of software. Should be fun.  :)

How have you found yours? Works good?

Dave

Offline NickT

• NickT
  • Administrator
  • Super Hero
  • Here I am!
    • Ain't TV
I like it. It sounds great, but I really don't use the FX with it.

The PatchMix Demystified:
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/nov05/articles/emupatchmix.htm?print=yes

Then Check this...it's basic PatchMix configurations:
http://www.cgoff.fsnet.co.uk/patchmix/

Then go here:
The UnOfficial E-MU forums....GREAT Info here:
http://www.productionforums.com/index.php?f=52

Try These to get you started.

Nick
NickT

www.AintTV.com

www.TestafiedRecords.com

Offline Studioplayer

• Super Hero
  • Overdrive
    • Reverbnation Website

Offline Studioplayer

• Super Hero
  • Overdrive
    • Reverbnation Website
From Sound On Sound

"Another example of a complex setup that's easy to create is where a guitarist wants to record a guitar with Pod-style modelling effects, but also record it dry (in other words with no added effects) in case the sound needs to change later on. To do this on the 1820M, just plug your guitar into the Line A or B inputs, add an Insert Send (Output To ASIO/WAVE Or Physical Out) near the top of the Insert chain to any available 'Host ASIO In' to send this dry signal to your sequencer, then add an Insert Send/Return (Physical Output And Input) below it, and patch the Pod input and outputs into the chosen send and return sockets on the Audiodock I/O box. You'll be able to hear the treated (wet) signal through the Main or Monitor outputs of the Emu Patchmix DSP, but both wet and dry signals can now be simultaneously recorded in your sequencer onto separate stereo tracks.

Once you've got your head round the routing options I've discussed here, you should be able to work out plenty more to suit your individual requirements

I still don't understand it. :o  ??? ::)   ;D  I guess I have a bit of a learning curve ahead me but that's basically what I want to do.

Dave

Offline NickT

• NickT
  • Administrator
  • Super Hero
  • Here I am!
    • Ain't TV
Dave,

What is your DAW of choice?

Nick
NickT

www.AintTV.com

www.TestafiedRecords.com

Offline Studioplayer

• Super Hero
  • Overdrive
    • Reverbnation Website
Dave,

What is your DAW of choice?

Nick

My DAW of choice would be a Mac. But............ Nope  :'(

P4 2.5GHz, 1GB ram, Windows XP, 2 - 80GB HD's & the Emu 1212m soundcard. I mainly use Acid Pro for recording. I also have Sonar, Cool Edit, Wavelab, Guitar Rig 2, plus many others and a sh*!load of plugins including 'Native Gold Waves'.

I also have a small Behringer 12-Channel Powered Mixer

Sounds come from my Boss GT-6 Guitar Effects Processor, Boss Me-10 Multi-effects unit, and or miked amps (Traynor 2X12 or Fender Hot Rod Deluxe) plus various stomp boxes.

That's it. Sort of  ::)

Dave
« Last Edit: May 09, 2007, 01:50:12 PM by Studioplayer »

Offline Tacman7

Recording dry is really the way to go.

I record a mono track then send it to a stereo line out and route one cord from each line out to the two guitar effects units I use. (art sgx/maudioBlackBox).

Getting a grip on the whole soft mixer takes a while. I sold my hardware mixer because the software setup gives you so much more routing freedom.

Change everything around without moving a cable.

Anyway I use Cubase. So I have a mono audio track setup with the source being the straight guitar (through a hardware compressor).
The output of the track goes to the two hardware effects boxes.
The actual soft mixer strip where my straight guitar is controlled is muted.
To hear my guitar playing live I click the monitor button on the track which sends the straight guitar out to the effects boxes and I don't actually hear the straight guitar, just what the effects boxes put out.
After you record the track you turn off the monitor button and what was recorded gets sent to the effects boxes.

You would do the same thing for soft effects, just have a vst plugin setup on the track but you would do the same input routing and use the monitor button to choose live or recorded source.

Offline Studioplayer

• Super Hero
  • Overdrive
    • Reverbnation Website
Thanks for the info guys. I'd really like to record dry as soon as I get my new soundcard working. I think having a dry track would give you lots of room for experimenting with different sounds. The way I record now is what you get is what you get. Pretty hard to remove distortion, delay or reverb once it's in there. Recording wet you have to be 100% happy with your sound.  :)

Thanks, Dave