Musicians Collaboration Studio

Reverb for vocals

Offline Studioplayer

• Super Hero
  • Overdrive
    • Reverbnation Website
Hey guys, What are you using for reverb on vocals. I can't seem to find anything I like. All the 'Wave' settings sound cold to me. I can never seem to find a good verb for vocals.  :-\

Dave

Offline CurtisDowney66

I use a free Vst/dx plug called Dx Reverb Light.  Seems to work pretty well for me anyways, and it is free.  I think you can find it here... anwida.com
Curtis

Offline Basil

• http://www.bandmix.com/mike-basil/
Hey Dave,

Try using a very short time setting on a delay FX...not reverb.
You can also add a small amout of reverb to wash it out if needed.

Offline NickT

• NickT
  • Administrator
  • Super Hero
  • Here I am!
    • Ain't TV
I use a cakewalk verb that someone tweaked and EMT plate simulation for vox almost all the time. I then use timed delays (usually ping ponged) in tempo to the song or half tempo. I mix the two together and bring them just under the vox. I'll see if I can get the sonar thread and pics of the settings.

Nick
NickT

"...My life just Ain't TV..."

www.AintTV.com

www.TestafiedRecords.com

Offline Studioplayer

• Super Hero
  • Overdrive
    • Reverbnation Website
Yeah Nick, I wouldn't mind seeing that. Out of all the things I have trouble with the most, it's vocals. Your right Basil, I always forget to try a delay as well. I always read about that. Good point.  :)

I'll check out your link Curtis. You always have a great sound with your vocals so your doing/using something right.  :)

Dave

Offline CosmicDolphin

• Jedi
  • Do or do not..there is no try
    • Phonicworks : TV Production Music
Depends what you want ,sometimes you need domething that sounds natural, you can get SIR which is a very good and free convolution reverb:

http://www.knufinke.de/sir/

There's loads of impulse responses you can load into it, I'd always try a plate or a room reverb as a starting point, alot of presets need tweaking as the reverbs are really long, and I quite often high pass filter the reverb return.

Some songs I've only ever used delays on the vocals, that helps keep it up front in the mix, so I tempo match them..I like the Waves ones for that...

If I want something that sounds less natural I like the Sonnox reverb, gives it that kinda 90's artificial but smooth sounding reverb.

CD
We never finish a mix... we simply abandon them.
You can't polish a turd, but you can always spray paint it GOLD
Great songs are not written, they are re-witten

Offline NickT

• NickT
  • Administrator
  • Super Hero
  • Here I am!
    • Ain't TV
The screenshots are down that jsaras posted. I will post them of mine.

NickT

www.AintTV.com

www.TestafiedRecords.com

Offline Paulo

• Super Hero
I gotta be nuts but all I use for all Purposes is Waves Plugins  :-[

Well i explain. Since maybe 1996/1997 when I bought one thing called "Waves Native Power Pack", I got used to the interface and been upgrading and updating... at the mo' I'm with Waves Mercury Bundle and it includes all sort of things.

As for the reverb, I use most of the times Waves Renaissance Reverb and just like Nick, sometimes I use a little Delay.

I guess that a thousand of things are good these days but I don't have time to dig everything and i prefer to do music instead of waisting a lot of time learning new stuff that's why I always keep the same platforms and plugins, just because I'm used to them.

Like they, ain't broken don't fiix it  ;D :D

Just for the record, I keep an Yamaha DX11 keyboard that I bought in 1987, can you belive that? It's the keyboard I use to record 80% of what I do and I won't sell it because it rocks. Only when I got Piano parts, i use a Roland digital piano because of the keyboard so similar the real pianos.
Live the best you can 'cause you're gonna be dead for a long time.
Respect
Paulo Gomes

Offline CosmicDolphin

• Jedi
  • Do or do not..there is no try
    • Phonicworks : TV Production Music
I was trying to think of stuff Dave cold try without spending alot of $$$

I like Altiverb alot and Waves IR...but SIR will do you proud for nothing.

CD
We never finish a mix... we simply abandon them.
You can't polish a turd, but you can always spray paint it GOLD
Great songs are not written, they are re-witten

Offline NickT

• NickT
  • Administrator
  • Super Hero
  • Here I am!
    • Ain't TV
This is a screen shot of the poor mans EMT Plate settings. I use others, but this is my go to for a little on the lead vox.

It's the Cakewalk FxReverb

Nick
NickT

www.AintTV.com

www.TestafiedRecords.com

Offline detune

• Mark
    • @pump_upp - best crypto pumps on telegram !
I second the use of SIR.  Been using it for years, even used it for film post-production sound.  It's a great tool.

Mark