Musicians Collaboration Studio

Liquid Crystal Ladies (Donna, George, Gary, Billy, LMK)

LMK · 29 · 15737

Offline LMK

I was able to play the drums myself, and so I proudly present the finished...."Liquid Crystal Ladies"!  :)!

Credits:

Idea: Donna Devine
Lyrics: Donna Devine and LMK
Composition, drums, orchestra, mix etc: LMK
Vocal: Guitar George
Guitar and pads: Gary (gbm)
Additional orchestral sounds: Billy

Lyrics:

Liquid Crystal Ladies

V1
The liquid crystal ladies
Are awake at any time
And there's not the inconvenience
Of 'your place, dear, or mine'
They're scattered in the ether
Accessible to all
So eager to fulfill your dreams
Be at your beck and call

Chorus
They pout and squirm and slither
With a look that says 'come hither'
They make it awfully hard
To concentrate
And the average man admits
When he views their naughty bits
He'd like to take the ladies on a date
But the liquid crystal ladies are the ladies
other women love to hate

V2
The liquid crystal ladies
Don't mind being on display
And their favourite song is likely
Dylan's old 'Lay Lady Lay'
Solitary leisure
The men are sights unseen
Watching liquid crystal ladies
Wriggle on their 12 inch screen

Chorus
To concentrate
other women love to hate

Bridge
So grateful for the science
That's produced this strange reliance
It's a seventh wonder of technology
Few people talk about it
But there's not a home without it
Ladies so exposed wrapped up in secrecy

Chorus
To concentrate
other women love to hate

« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 06:44:37 AM by LMK »

Offline AndyG6508

• Jedi
    • https://soundcloud.com/bumpy-buttons
Wow gang - what a fantastic collaboration!!! A very welcome different sound on MCS.

Absolutely top class - captures the "music hall or saloon" vibe perfectly.

Every thing is just right - the witty lyric, the flapper like vocal (nice scat in the end Georgie), the riveting piano and chorus hooks, the orchestra!!

This is going to my I-pod!

Andy
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 12:16:37 PM by AndyG6508 »

Offline napoleonboot

• Super Hero
The end result is fantastic. Great playing, composing, writing and mixing by all.

I learned a lot doing this. I volunteered to sing before LMK wrote the music, and ended up doing something outside my comfort zone. But, with LMK's tireless coaching, and numerous retakes, I got there :)

« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 01:22:47 PM by guitargeorge »
George can often be found playing stringy things, and singing...

Offline rightonthemark

• Super Hero
Instantly put a smile on my face.
I couldn't help but to think this would be the perfect opening or ending song of a movie while the credits are rolling.
Totally gets you in the mood for some sort of comedy entertainment.
Now you just have to get someone working on the screenplay.
And the scat at the end was the icing on an already delicious cake.
Very nice job by everyone.
rock-n-roll ain't pretty --- that's why they picked us to play it.

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UClRdBv1Ml1GLcVddYNFM-nA

Offline PVD

• Super Hero

Offline gbm

• Super Hero
Nice!

I agree with rightonthemark, picturing a comedy movie theme, it just has that "air" about it. Very good tune, it captures that era very nicely. Georges vocals are great! Especially the scat at the end!

:)

Offline napoleonboot

• Super Hero
The scat at the end was an ad-lib which wasn't in the lyrics. I retracked everything several times during production, and couldnt do any better than my original impromptu scat, so we used the first take.

I was inspired by this song which my 8 year old daughter Kirsty loves:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVzExaqODQc

LMK - is that you playig the piano in this video?

Offline LMK

The scat at the end was an ad-lib which wasn't in the lyrics. I retracked everything several times during production, and couldnt do any better than my original impromptu scat, so we used the first take.

I was inspired by this song which my 8 year old daughter Kirsty loves:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVzExaqODQc

LMK - is that you playig the piano in this video?

Haha, that's pretty funny  ;D! Yeah, I got mad at George for deleting the scat part when I'd told him it was absolutely perfect! And you can't always recapture things like that. But luckily he was able to locate it.

I'm glad everyone seems to enjoy this effort. I'm happy with the way it turned out. I think we got some great performances from people involved and a decently warm mix that hopefully serves the song. Doing things outside your regular genre comfort zone is a healthy exercise.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 07:54:25 PM by LMK »

Offline Studioplayer

• Super Hero
  • Overdrive
    • Reverbnation Website
 :) Now that was pretty cool. I wasn't expecting that. Thought it was going to be a rock song.  :o   Great job George. Great playing by all and a really nice mix. Sounds good. This should be in a movie or Broadway theatre. Very nice guys!!  8) 8) 8)

Offline docmidnite

• Super Hero
  • Rock on, dude
    • http://indiemusicworks.com/Henry_Mittnacht/
This is FANTASTIC! Makes me smile!
Perfect production and playing.
And George, OMG!!!! Ole blue eye would envy this!
Glad you left that scat part!!! A great fin to a great song!

Offline LMK

Studioplayer, I agree with "broadway or movie" for this stylistically, and thanks a lot for listening.

Doc, thank you for the kind words, it was a fun collaboration to do and it was not very difficult to put music to Donna's lyrics, they lend themselves very well to something in this genre. The only thing dragging this thing out was that no drummer wanted to touch it while we were making it, but I bought some drums so that wont have to be a factor in the future  ;D

Offline Donna

• Rich Blend
Thanks SO much everyone, for your kind words. I'm thrilled you got a kick out of this.  :) And a huge thanks to LMK, George, Gary, and Billy for making this such a fun and wonderful song.  :)

George, you leapt on the lyric and offered to sing it pretty much immediately after I'd posted it. I was so glad LMK eventually came along with his musical vision and dedication.  ;)

Donna
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 01:21:55 PM by Donna »
Honour the Earth. Without it, we'd be nowhere.

Offline Donna

• Rich Blend
Guys, I want to share with you some of the comments the song's been getting from folks around the place.  :)
You really did yourselves proud.  ;) The first comments are from members of FAWM, the forum where I do a songwriting challenge each February.

Enjoy, and bask in the glory.  ;)

Forgot to mention earlier, LMK: Thanks for your addition - lines 3-6 in the bridge.  ;))

Donna
------------------------
This is hilarious, and the arrangement suits it just perfectly. I could absolutely hear this on a Dr. Demento show.

These lyrics are wonderful. The chorus is really funny I liked "and the average man admits, when he views their naughty bits". The demo is outstanding, loving all the brass and the piano is awesome. Really fits the lyrics, I am getting a bit of Randy Newman in this. Awesome stuff

Lyric make me smile, and the old time music sound is delightful! "They make it awfully hard.......to concentrate" made me laugh out loud. Fun tune!

Donna, this is hilarious! I love it. The music/vocals is perfect with these lyrics...very dramatic...could see this in a musical on Broadway! Great stuff!! Awesome write! A++

Your command of the language is most impressive. These complex phrases just roll off your tongue. You play around with highbrow and lowbrow humour and it just comes together effortlessly. This was a great listen.

This is for a Broadway musical. So totally professional and fun.
The lyrics are killer and the double entendres are so much fun to listen to.
Here I go listening again!!!!!
Your writing just knocks my socks off!

This is delicious. When does the show come to Edinburgh?

Lovely story and song that needs to be in a campy funky musical a la Rocky Horror....I can see the chorus line now! Great collaboration!!

I love the immediate "saloon" feel to this, and a bit of Monty Python, too. And such a great title, too; I love the clever twist of perspective. Ooh, and the clarinet! Just FUN.

Wow! Donna, this is hilarious! We often joke about the wild stuff on the tube late at night! The lyrics are great! Love the chorus and the bridge is so good! And a fantastic job by your collabs to bring this song to life...perfect music for this song and performed beautifully. Great work

Yep, this is a grinner. George sings this one really well. There is a full-blown musical in this.  

I'm so glad you posted this!! I'm grinning from ear to ear. So clever and such a fun take on the subject! The melody brings the phrase "Rollicking good fun" to mind, and the subject is just the right amount of naughty. Excellent work by all involved!!!

This is absolutely incredible. There's nothing constructive I could possibly add to this perfect perfect gem. SOOO good and SOOO well done

I like this a lot. It made me smile. I think it's brilliant.

Fabulous! so polished, very professional. The 'liquid crystal' just has the best sound!

Took me a moment to grasp who the Liquid Crystal Ladies were, a little bit of genius in this one, Donna, first rate demo, wonderfully performed and produced.
-----------------------

Comments from elswehere.

Nice cabaret atmosphere about this music. Wonderful. I love this kind of music. Theatre music of the best kind.

This could easy fit on Broadway! Wonderful music and lyrics!

Wow, some kind of writing here! I always like your songs and how they are done. Great job all!

Wow, am I at the "Crazy Horse", or "Lido" or "Follies Berg�res" ? Amazing cabaret song in all aspects. Could fit perfectly a Blake Edwards movie. Thanks for sharing this masterpiece with us.

Great arrangement Donna
Like a lot of your styled work it has a very authentic feel
Get it on Broadway. (-:

Awesome stylings of old time show tune   Great fun! Professionally accomplished. Very witty.

Gorgeous show tune and I like it. Excellent mix/production and you have a great band there.

Wow, what a perfect song. Glorious witty lyrics, wonderful music with that honkytonk saloon bar feel, and a crystal clear vocal. A real treat.

this is pretty kool. i like the old school feel
« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 02:47:34 AM by Donna »
Honour the Earth. Without it, we'd be nowhere.

Offline gbm

• Super Hero
Thanks Donna!

yeah this was a wonderful write by Neil (LMK), putting your lyrics to this music. Very impressive! Billy's brass fills are an excellent touch. George is the perfect voice on this one. Neil did a great job on the drums at the last minute. I will be playing this a lot on my ipod and in the car for sure! :)

:) :) :)

Offline napoleonboot

• Super Hero
I posted in a couple of places, also with great responses. Will copy them here later.