Musicians Collaboration Studio

Virus software

Billy · 21 · 9366

Offline Billy

• Super Hero
  • Professionalism is an attitude
Hi guys,
I recently had norton 'internet security 2006' installed on my pc but then had a symantec notice saying that as part of my subscription I was eligible for an upgrade and that I should install the new software before a certain date. They gave me a link (that didn't work) so I had to scrawl through their site. When I found it and Installed it...guess what?..it was a trial version. I still had 165 days left on my subscription on my previous software.  >:( I sent them an email....and...yes......no reply. Robbing bastards! They're no better than the hackers and criminals they're trying to protect us from. Anyway, I was hoping someone here would have some advice on other anti-virus software...what sort of software do people here use? Thanks guys!

Aidan.

Offline Studioplayer

• Super Hero
  • Overdrive
    • Reverbnation Website
I got rid of Norton years ago. Same at our work place. I got rid of here too. Norton is not the greatest. I use AVG at home. It's free and has always worked really good for me.  :)

Offline robwood

I use Avast at home (www.avast.com), it's free and good! ;)
Time for revision, make your decision
Just see it through-- McAndrew

Offline CosmicDolphin

• Jedi
  • Do or do not..there is no try
    • Phonicworks : TV Production Music
I'm a fan of AVG too...works well for free !

CD
We never finish a mix... we simply abandon them.
You can't polish a turd, but you can always spray paint it GOLD
Great songs are not written, they are re-witten

Offline CurtisDowney66

AVG picks up more than norton ever did for me, and norton slowed my PC down also.
Curtis

Offline Rattlehed

+1 for AVG, never had a virus in the 8 years since i started using it

Offline Studioplayer

• Super Hero
  • Overdrive
    • Reverbnation Website
AVG picks up more than norton ever did for me, and norton slowed my PC down also.
Curtis

Those are 2 reasons why I got rid of it years ago. It does slow down the machine and misses viruses that other programs will pick up.

Offline TallPaul

• Super Hero
    • Tall Paul And Friends
I've used a lot of them as well, both at home and as the IT guy in my company. I currently use BitDefender.com at home and find it to be comprehensive, unobtrusive, and easily understandable.
Paul
Songwriter, lyricist, vocalist, guitarist... pretty much in that order! :-)

Offline DoozerDan

• Just another guitarist.
All our Windows 'puters all have Avast, tis free, and we've not gotten many viruses well using it.

Good luck getting Norton out though... seems you have to have a pretty good knowledge of where everything is in your computer to be able to fully remove it.

Dan.

Offline srvfender

• Soundclick
+1 on AVG, but at home I use trend micro PC-cillin which is very good and reasonable.

AJ

Offline Billy

• Super Hero
  • Professionalism is an attitude
OK! Thank you gentlemen. I will banish Norton to 'room 101' forthwith. I will look around as I don't mind paying for software It's just I feel like I've been mugged. AVG is looking a good bet at the moment.

Aidan.

Offline Sharpola

• Poppin' Rockers
  • Super Hero
  • my my bless my soul miga diga baga nig nictin toe
    • Sharpola on Facebook
AVG's been on my 'puter for a year, works well.. free too, plus it regularly updates itself where Avast stopped that service

Ray

Offline DoozerDan

• Just another guitarist.
AVG's been on my 'puter for a year, works well.. free too, plus it regularly updates itself where Avast stopped that service

Ray

Avast stopped updating?  Ours still do... Are you on Vista? 'Cause I know my Brother has had a few problems with Vista stopping the updates on Avast, but it also slowed the rest of the computer down...

Dan.

Offline Sharpola

• Poppin' Rockers
  • Super Hero
  • my my bless my soul miga diga baga nig nictin toe
    • Sharpola on Facebook
I seem to remember getting a notice saying that the free version would turn to manual updates, I had it on 4 computers at home all on different os's and they all stopped updating on the said day.. maybe its just Canadians :P

Ray

Offline NickT

• NickT
  • Administrator
  • Super Hero
  • Here I am!
    • Ain't TV
I just turned on this computer after a week of being off and avg updated.

http://free.grisoft.com/

Nick
NickT

"...My life just Ain't TV..."

www.AintTV.com

www.TestafiedRecords.com