Musicians Collaboration Studio

His Better Half

Offline Appleluza

• Appleluza Music
About This Song:

Last year my friend, Dan Perry, lost his wife, Mary, when she was only 59. Her passing was sudden and unexpected, and it left an immense hole in the lives of her family and friends. This song is in her memory and in memory of the love Dan and his children have for Mary.

Credits:

Words and music: Rob Talbert
Lead vocals, guitars, bass: Rob Talbert
Backing vocals: Kirsti Call
Steel Guitar: Bill Llewellyn
Drums: Frank Basile at www.livestudiodrums.com
Mixing and Mastering: CosmicDolphin

Side Notes:
This song has been a collaboration from many points, including a lot of advice and comments from Bobby Watson and friends at Echo Project Studio in the early stages.  Bill L played a great steel guitar part even though I've never met him and he isn't a member of this forum -- I googled "steel guitar", found another board dedicated to steel guitar topics and persuaded Bill to lay down a part for me.  Frank Basile does his musical collaborating as his day job and he was professional and great to work with.  Kirsti Call is my daughter-in-law and immently more musically talented than I, but graciously agreed to work up the harmony and sing several takes in my studio.  And last but not least, Mark/CosmicDolphin has put in gazillions of hours mixing and fixing the musical material I tracked -- giving me some good advice along the way, but careful never to tread too forcefully on my musical vision.  I found out that Mark is not only generous and great to work with, but fantastically talented and blessed with a set of those golden ears you always hear about.

CosmicD is mastering this for publication on my website (www.soundclick.com/talbertcall) and inclusion in the next TalbertCall CD.  He will post an MP3 and APE of the mastered song next week.

Lyrics:  His Better Half
c. Robert N Talbert 2006

V1
He was rough around the edges, when she finally said, "I do."
Too young to know much better when it all began.
When work was tough and the road grew rough,
Her faith would pull him through.
He loved the woman, but
She made the man.

Chorus
Spin around in the dance that they both learned by heart.
Waltzing together, now a few steps apart.
Though the music's stopped playing, he can still hear her laugh.
His love,
Her life,
His better half.

V2
There was Utah and Las Vegas, Oklahoma, San Jose.
Living life like builders with a master plan.
Moves, careers, and forty years,
Eight kids along the away.
He loved his woman, and
She made her man.

Chorus

Bridge
Life is made of pieces we divide up everyday.
Some we keep inside us, some we give away.

V3
He's got grandkids coming over, he can almost watch 'em grow.
Nobody tells a story like a grandpa can.
So he'll spread photos out and talk about
Two people they won't know,
And how he loved a woman,
And how she made a man.

Chorus

Ending
She was his love.
He was her life,
She was his better half.

Rob Talbert, Songwriter and Producer for Appleluza, a virtual multi-genre band.

Offline NickT

• NickT
  • Administrator
  • Super Hero
  • Here I am!
    • Ain't TV
Nice job everyone. I know this song was a journey for you Rob.

CD - nice mix. Production is great.

Nice to see this one finished.

Nick

NickT

"...My life just Ain't TV..."

www.AintTV.com

www.TestafiedRecords.com

Offline Studioplayer

• Super Hero
  • Overdrive
    • Reverbnation Website

Offline CosmicDolphin

• Jedi
  • Do or do not..there is no try
    • Phonicworks : TV Production Music
Not too sure about having 'Golden Ears'....maybe Bronze or Silver....Think I could give up life on the road selling if they were truly ' Golden' !

Well this was one of the first tracks I came across when I first joined the MC , so it's been a Journey for me too, one of discovery.

I read Rob's story and that was sad, then I heard the song he'd written and thought it was a great sentiment, but the song was suffering due to the mix.  Well I was new in town and looking for something to earn my spurs ! So I offered to mix it.

Now I've never really listened to this style of music - I'm more of a Pop/Rock kinda guy, but as soon as I'd got hold of the seps I realised there was much more potential in the material recorded than the original mix and I set to work.  I listened to a few artists that Rob liked to try and get a feel for where he was coming from, and started remixing.

I was surprised how good some of the raw parts sounded, and with a couple of re-recordings , plenty of tweaking/mixing etc, 5 test mixes and numerous messages between Rob and myself, along with input from TallPaul we arrived at the mix you hear now.

The project has spanned several continents/timezones/oceans/months, what with Robs travelling for work and me living in England it's been a truly International effort, but a wothwhile one.

I'm both honoured to have worked on it and proud of the finished mix, it's come a long way from Rob's original I heard several months back.

I've enjoyed working on it and learned alot by working outside my normal genre.......I truly hope your friend likes what we've done and will listen to it in the years to come.  I know I will.

CosmicDolphin
We never finish a mix... we simply abandon them.
You can't polish a turd, but you can always spray paint it GOLD
Great songs are not written, they are re-witten

Offline CosmicDolphin

• Jedi
Here's a version that's been through the mastering chain.....see what you think.

CosmicD

Offline Appleluza

• Appleluza Music
Hey Mark,

I think it sounds great - clearly you added a lot of clarity, sparkle and overall musicality to this number.  The mastered version is very easy to listen to and I think hangs together quite well.

Rob
Rob Talbert, Songwriter and Producer for Appleluza, a virtual multi-genre band.

Offline CosmicDolphin

• Jedi
Cool  :)

Here is the ape file of the mastered version

CosmicD
« Last Edit: February 06, 2009, 06:04:40 PM by CosmicDolphin »