Musicians Collaboration Studio

Sunset Senior's Home

Offline AndyG6508

• Jedi
    • https://soundcloud.com/bumpy-buttons
hey MCS,

A great little lyric from Paul inspired me to write this Beatles meet Floyd ballad!! I really liked the way he captured the essence of each character in just 4 lines - awesome!

Anyways, this time lots of people dived in to lend a hand, singing, playing and mixing wise. In fact we have the good fortune to have 3 mixers on board this time - Zap, Vincent and Steffen - all with their own visions for what the finished sound ought to be - which is cool.

Bill (r4m) played some "just so right' tasty guitar parts, including an economic yet effective guitar solo. Chuck sang a great lead vocal and saved the world from hearing mine ;). Vincent also helped with nice background vocals, and then brought his mate Loon in to fill in with a solid drums part.

At this time I am posting the song with Vincent's and Steffen's excellent mixes, but we are waiting on Zap's....I shall add that in as soon as he is done!!

Edit : Zap's mix added to this post!
Many thanks guys
Andy

Sunset Senior Home (Lyrics; Paul Dempsey)

(v1)
Mr. Parsons tilts his hat
Slightly over his right eye
His pants are always pressed
He was a business man

(v2)
Mr. Wilson rubs his hands
Still so calloused and dry
He doesn't care how he's dressed
He was a working man

(chorus)
They sit on the porch
Of the Sunset Senior's Home
Hoping somebody will drop on by
They've got lessons of life to tell
Before they have to bid farewell
They've got many things to share
But day after day after day
They just watch the cars go by

(v3)
Miss Jean is always helpful
And they say she never wed
But her perfume is overbearing
And she always has a plan

(v4)
And no one knows Mr. Flynn
But his face is always beet red
He spends every day every night swearing
He is an angry old man

(chorus)

(bridge)
And every day that passes
Finds their edges slightly frayed
And little by little by little
Their stories begin to fade

(chorus)

Personnel:

Paul Dempsey (PVD) : lyrics
Bill Gifford (r4m) : guitars including solo
Chuck Hayes (CHHayes) : lead vocal
Brandon Hunsinger (Loon) : drums
Dwayne Vincent (Vincent): background vocals
Andy Gupta (AndyG6508): music, piano, bass, organ, tambourine, harmony vocal
Steffen Offerman (Stoman): mix and master on version 3
Zap: mix and master on version 1
Vincent: Mix and master on version 2

« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 11:08:04 PM by AndyG6508 »

Offline PVD

• Super Hero
Andy:

This really turned out well, I am happy to be involved.  Everyone did a great job, it's a sad one, but handled with class.

Paul

Offline AndyG6508

• Jedi
Thanks so much Paul. I know this one's quite personal for you, and I wanted you to be happy with the final result.

Andy

Andy:

This really turned out well, I am happy to be involved.  Everyone did a great job, it's a sad one, but handled with class.

Paul

Offline Paulo

• Super Hero
Very nice song guys... I lke both mixes.
Live the best you can 'cause you're gonna be dead for a long time.
Respect
Paulo Gomes

Offline AndyG6508

• Jedi
Thanks Paulo glad you liked both mixes!

Andy
Very nice song guys... I lke both mixes.

Offline j

• Super Hero
Nice song Andy, very tastefully played and all parts fit perfectly. I agree about Bill's solo.. perfect for the song. Very good mix!
wazzzzzaaaap

Offline AndyG6508

• Jedi
Hey J,

Thanks for dropping by with the appreciative comment!! Glad you like it.

When you are coming back to making music?

Cheers
Andy
Nice song Andy, very tastefully played and all parts fit perfectly. I agree about Bill's solo.. perfect for the song. Very good mix!

Offline j

• Super Hero
Thanks for asking Andy! I'm finally getting my gear together.. everything is new and faster. And I've got a new arsenal of sounds. I'm getting there.. almost  :)
wazzzzzaaaap

Offline Johnny

Hey Guys! :)

I remember reading this lyric when Paul first posted, and thinking, (this could be sooo cool done in that early, Pink Floyd, (Dark side of the Moon), style...

Andy, you were the perfect collaborator with Paul on this...
It turned out wonderful...It's a bit sleepy, here and there, but that's the loveliness of it! ::)
I listened to, "Case" and "Sunset" back to back and the contrast was startling. ;D

Great Job Everyone! and Three Cheers! Johnny

Offline Mr. Mom

• Super Hero
    • My music-player
Great job guys!!
As one of the "house-writers" here at MCS, I can honestly say that I look up to Paul when it comes to writing style and content. I'm not taking anything away from the other lyricists here... the musicians/vocalists on this site do such a fantastic job of taking our words and turning them into gifts that we all love to share!! :) :)

...and when it comes to Andy, he's the gift that keeps on giving - who better to have on a collab?

Of course, the only glaring problem with this song is that it ends to soon. ;D
We don't get to hear enough of Chuck's awesome vocals... c'mon Chuck, there's plenty more collabs out there that could use you. ;)

Andy made sure to acknowledge every contribution to this song, and I'm really beginning to appreciate how each person helps to "fill" a song. Sometimes you don't notice a contribution to a song unless you were to take that piece out... then you notice how it feels a bit hollow or empty. It still amazes me how you "music-guys" can hear that something is missing, and another musician will come along to fill in the gaps.
I don't know about the rest of you, but as much as I love to hear the finished product, I REALLY like going to Studio A and seeing how a song progressed from just an idea. It would be great if the old files didn't have to be deleted, so we could even hear "first takes" and such, but I know that's not a possibility. :P :)
Damn it Jim! I'm a WRITER - not a Doctor!!

Offline McLovin

• Super Hero
    • HDA
Really nice song people!  Fantastic write and execution.
 :o :) :)
Great vox and that solo is fantastic!
Keyboard Player/Singer/Songwriter
www.mclovintheduo.com
www.yournewneighbors.net