Musicians Collaboration Studio

Macbook questions

Offline BassPlayer

• ReverbNation - David Bellizzi
My wife and I are considering a MacBook for her. She wants something really light just for general surfing and some doc writing and for me you can never have too many hosts that can provide a bash shell around ;). So we are looking at the 13 inch black model because we want the superdrive and some other features. 

http://store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Images/comparison_chart.html

I was wondering why only 512MB or ram? I know most PC's ship with 1GB. Yes I know the underlying freebie OS is mem efficient but X isnt or so I've heard. i take it most people get the upgrade? 

No 7200RPM drive options? Though she probably doesn't need it.

As far as the browser, since my wife can't use Interet Exploder (yay!) I want her to use a real browser like firefox anyone problems using firefox?

What about an office suite, I'd prefer she'd use openoffice. I don't like m$ bloatware if we are going to use bloatware we ar going use free bloatware :D I've also been burned by using the stuff the comes with apple. I did some docs in some works suite only to not have it export as m$ office files. =/ Anyone have any luck with openoffice? It says runs on OSX

Platforms currently supported include Microsoft Windows, GNU/Linux ("Linux"), Sun Solaris, Mac OS X (under X11), and FreeBSD.

What about wireless does the airport extreme do WPA PSK or WPA2 PSK? My next wireless setup is going to be 11n most likely. Anyone have any info on the 11n airports? I found this on wikipeadia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11#802.11n
802.11n adapters have been reportedly found in Apple Computer iMacs with Intel Core 2 Duo processors. According to the Mac Rumors website a user had installed a Release Candidate of MicrosoftWindows Vista and found a Broadcom 802.11n draft version wireless adapter.

Well thats aboutit for now.

Offline Gerk

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
  • code monkey no sing!
    • Studio Gerk Pics
Open Office runs under X11 in OSX.  It's clunky at the best of times but it works ok.

You want to upgrade the memory for sure, especially if not all the applications are Intel native (Universal Binaries) ... many are (with some major exceptions like Adobe CS and Microsoft Office both of which are due out sometime next year).  The one's that aren't run through Rosetta -- an on the fly x86->PowerPC emulator that sucks up TONS of memory.  The more the merrier.  My girlfriend has an intel mac mini and with 512MB ram using M$ Office it is horrid, it swaps out switching from one doc to the next.  Tomorrow she gets upgraded to 2G ram in the little beast and then she should be fine.  She spends the majority of her time in M$ Office unfortunately :/  But reports are with lots of ram it runs just fine (which is a feat unto itself considering it's doing on the fly low level translation like that).  I'm honestly amazed at the performance level for most apps (as long as it's not games or photoshop hehe).

Firefox runs fine on OSX, pretty much on par with the windows/linux versions.  Some bitch it's a bit slower on OSX, I can't really tell the difference much unless I'm trying to render a massive page and then it is a tad slower, but nothing to worry about.  Also Safari comes with OSX and is a pretty good browser, I use it for 85% of my stuff.  Also there is Opera which works very well on OSX as well as a bunch of other Gecko/Core Web based browsers.  Lots of workable options there and all FREE.

And yes, having a native bash shell is the main thing that pulled me back to using OSX instead of Linux as my main workstation :)  You'll want to check out and install fink (http://fink.sf.net).  apt-get for OSX is a wonderful thing for the small handful of command line utils that don't already ship with the OS, like apt-get install wget :D

Dunno about the drive upgrade options.

The WPA/WPA2 SPK are both there and work fine.  Not sure what the deal with the 11n is .. the hardware is 11n for sure, but it's probably just not setup to do much of anything yet OS wise, they are probably holding that out for the next OS update -- but of course it might also "just work" already.

That's the one great thing I love about OSX, for the most part things "just work" .. I spend much much less time fighting with drivers and upgrades and more time hacking!

Mark

Offline BassPlayer

• ReverbNation - David Bellizzi
Sweet! So in short

get more ram
browsers = good
m$ orfice = ram hungry

So it looks like you ether use the iWork stuff or m$ junk. I refuse to pay for m$ crap. Looks like shes now an openoffice user ;)

Thanks Mark

Offline Gerk

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
  • code monkey no sing!
    • Studio Gerk Pics
Yep yep.  Skip iWorks ... it's pretty sucky and not very compatible at all.

Mark