Musicians Collaboration Studio

Come On , Come On ( CD - Doc - Thunder - Cyclone )

Offline Casia - lyricist

• Super Hero
  • By Working Together We Can Create The Impossible
    • Casia Productions
Well, you know I'm your biggest fan.  Dibs on front row seats when you tour Canada.

This is great CD, different than what you usually do  :-*
Casia Productions:
ALBUM:A NOT Ordinary Christmas-2010
ALBUM:idream -2011
ALBUM:Trevor&Roger's 13 Stygian Tales - 2011

World Festival Universong showcase July 2012, Canary Islands, Spain - Victoria Linskaya 
http://www.reverbnation.com/casia

Offline CosmicDolphin

• Jedi
  • Do or do not..there is no try
    • Phonicworks : TV Production Music
Well, you know I'm your biggest fan.  Dibs on front row seats when you tour Canada.

This is great CD, different than what you usually do  :-*

Thanks Cas ...who's the hot chick in your Avatar ? She can be a groupie  ;)
We never finish a mix... we simply abandon them.
You can't polish a turd, but you can always spray paint it GOLD
Great songs are not written, they are re-witten

Offline Casia - lyricist

• Super Hero
    • Casia Productions
Oh thanks for the compliment  :D :D, I'm already "the" groupie.

BTW, do groupies get paid?  :)
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 06:40:04 AM by Casia - lyricist »
Casia Productions:

World Festival Universong showcase July 2012, Canary Islands, Spain - Victoria Linskaya 

Offline docmidnite

• Super Hero
  • Rock on, dude
    • http://indiemusicworks.com/Henry_Mittnacht/

Offline CosmicDolphin

• Jedi
BTW, do groupies get paid?  :)

Nope, but the word sounds close to what they usually get  ^-^ >:D :D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

:P

Offline Casia - lyricist

• Super Hero
    • Casia Productions
That's what I thought, but just checking. 
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 10:38:05 PM by Casia - lyricist »
Casia Productions:

Offline CosmicDolphin

• Jedi
That's what I thought, but just checking.  Works for me  ;D

Slayed ?  :o

Offline stoman

• Jedi
    • Stoman's website
Up to contemporary music standards IMO. It's not a musical area I feel comfortable with, but nonetheless a great job, Mark. And kudos to the rest of the band too, great playing everybody!

Regards,
  Steffen
Always looking for opportunities to mix your songs. Feel free to ask!
My Introductory Post

Offline CosmicDolphin

• Jedi
Up to contemporary music standards IMO. It's not a musical area I feel comfortable with, but nonetheless a great job, Mark. And kudos to the rest of the band too, great playing everybody!

Regards,
  Steffen

Cheers Steffen  ;)

Offline CosmicDolphin

• Jedi
Mike Senior of Sound on Sound magazine has sent me his Pro critique for this one...

" Overall a full and engaging mix sound -- good work! I like a lot of the guitar sounds in particular, and there's a sense of clarity that I've not heard in your mixes so far. Love the way you manage to bring that soft synth line through from 4:37 onwards. Not easy, I can imagine! Works well in mono on the Avantone too, which is always a good sign.

Lovely fill at 1:23-1:26, and the drop at 1:54 is also cool. The the half-time break at 2:58 is also great, and the following arrangement drop is extremely effective. (The only bit where it feels like you drop the ball for a moment is 3:40-3:45 -- something about the rhythm seems to stumble, and the snare roll doesn't seem to have quite enough internal momentum to carry it.)

For the opening sound, consider adding some kind of noise or distortion at the extreme HF to make it clearer that it's a dull sound in an otherwise hi-fi production, rather than the other way round -- to act as a kind of indicator of the spectral extreme.

The sub component of your kick drum sample lags noticeably behind the opening transient. It's not that it flams or anything, but that kind of thing tends to make the rhythm a little sluggish-sounding. It's something I talked about when doing the Girls Under Glass Mix Rescue if you want to hear some audio examples of what I mean here. I also feel that there should be something a bit punchier around 80Hz in that kick, so I'd probably layer in another sample alongside what you've got (being careful of phase) to provide that without having to process what you've already got too much.

Vocal tuning could be a bit tighter at moments to my ear. Particularly for the "on" of come on each time -- those notes are really important to the sense of pitching in this track, so I'd keep them pretty tightly locked. I'd probably also dip 2-3dB out of the vocal group at around 320Hz. Seems a little too boxy at the moment, and doesn't blend quite as well as it might with the backing as a result, I suspect.

A few of the section boundaries feel a bit abrupt, which to my mind wastes a little opportunity to get the listener anticipating them. 0:22, for example, could have something more before it to let you know what's coming, I think. Same at 1:04, 1:40,

You add a synth strings pad behind the second verse, but I wonder whether you might actually get better value out of something less sustained -- some kind of sequenced twinkling on those same notes comes to mind, for instance. The guitars already do a good job of the sustained component, so if feels like gilding the lily as it is. You perhaps use a variation on the sequencer patch you use for the half-time section, in fact, perhaps with some more obvious stereo position modulation, or double-tracked left and right with different sequencer patterns.

Love the sound you get for the half-time section -- lots of nice character and aggression, without being too fizzy. What I would say is that I'd probably push up the master fader at least 1.5dB at the start of that section, and then only bring it down for the word "come" at 4:00. That seems to make better sense of the long-term dynamics for me. Also, that "come on" seems like it's too early, so it makes the chorus onset sound like it's arriving late. Also, the word "you" that leads in to that section: let that hit a dubby delay tail extending into the half-time section? Just an idea I had.
"

Offline McLovin

• Super Hero
    • HDA
Geeze...all I usually say is "Sounds Really Good". ;D  Reading that just reinforces how little I know.  Great critique though.  How many Stella did that cost? >:D
Keyboard Player/Singer/Songwriter
www.mclovintheduo.com
www.yournewneighbors.net

Offline CosmicDolphin

• Jedi
Geeze...all I usually say is "Sounds Really Good". ;D  Reading that just reinforces how little I know.  Great critique though.  How many Stella did that cost? >:D

More than getting a round in for the band !

Still figure its well worth the expense. I want this album to be the best thing I've done yet.

Offline Errol

• Super Hero
    • http://www.reverbnation.com/errolchugg
Nice work guys. Particularly love the "I've got my sights on you" at the end opf each chorus. Nice hook. :)

Offline docmidnite

• Super Hero
  • Rock on, dude
    • http://indiemusicworks.com/Henry_Mittnacht/
" Overall a full and engaging mix sound -- good work! I like a lot of the guitar sounds in particular,
 The guitars already do a good job of the sustained component, so if feels like gilding the lily as it is.
"

« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 09:26:25 AM by docmidnite »