She Only

Credits

You tube: Acoustic guitar, tambourines, percussion, arrangement, words & lyrics
Groverk (Ken):  Drums
Sharpola (Ray) : Lead, backup, & harmony vocals
Tacman7 (Tom) Lead & rhythm guitars
Davidinoz (Dave): Additional Bass Guitar
NickT - Mix

Hope you enjoy it! It is a fun tune. Nice Jobe All!  8)

NickT
« Last Edit: March 13, 2007, 07:57:45 PM by NickT »
NickT

"...My life just Ain't TV..."

www.AintTV.com

www.TestafiedRecords.com

Offline Davidinoz

• Damn I wish I still looked this good...
Nice mix Nick. I forgot I played on that one :D

Offline Dove4Simon

• Facebook Artist page
Sounds fantastic!  Great job by all of you who worked on this!!  Congrats on having one catchy song!

Lisa

youtube

SHE ONLY

Just heard it Nick. What I had in visioned has surfaced in your mix.   8)

This morning I was surprised to see Nick posted his mix. I heard it once and was surprised that everything in it came out the way it should be. In actual fact I re-recorded a bunch of things including a complete piano track and was a little frustrated, and thought the song lost the original focus as, I had designed or in-vision ed it to be.

That came out in Nicks mix.   8) And what I really admire here with the mix being so clear, you can hear the how great Dave's bass playing is in the song.  It jells really and fits like a glove in the tune.  Nick took the basics of the song and brought that to the forefront where it should be. Right on the money.  8) That's what I mean when I say there is more to mixing than just adjusting a few fader levels. Everything sound good including the drums. Tacman thanks for adding that spark lead that fits so well. When you drop by and say
"I have an idea" no one should write that off or take it lighly. Look out.  ;D

Thanks so very much Nick. I appreciated it and thankyou everyone who played on this song. When I originally wrote it I did not know Ray too well. I just heard a couple of project takes he was working on, and I thought this guys is perfect for this. It appears that I was correct.  :-X  Then I thought the same thing about Ken and Dave. And again I was right.  >:D  So thanks Ray, Ken, Dave, & Tom for you cool contribution for this song.

"She Only"

I would like to explain incase anyone is interested why I wrote this song. Well first and foremost that's what we do here on M. C. I am speaking specially about the songwriters. There are folks who don't write but they play on other peoples projects. 

Years ago when I was a young pop I used to write re-active songs like do folks when they go through the trails and tribulations of life. Years later, I wanted to move away from the negative and focus on the positive.? But this one is sort of negative going to positive. Because I way I see it, he realized he has to stop being a fool and that he was being just that in that sort of situation. In this song, I started out one day with a cool strumming thing I came up with early one morning, when I was relaxed and in a good mood.  ;) I like it so much I though press Record on the tape machine, and lets see what comes out naturally. I just started singing what I felt inside and that's what came out. An hour later it was all down.

Even though the song is sort of negative I am not always talking about me. Sometimes about things I seen, been part off or seen other go through in life. Sometimes it all get mixed into the brew and the results are what they are here.  In this song the guy was not functioning too well because, he realized it takes two people to make it work. If someone else is not "owning" their wrong it cannot work.  So he realized to operate under what she wants it would mean he would have to continue being a fool. He loved her but if she is not accepting and, owning her part then what can he do. Someone said "Love is all you need" but love is accepting you share of the wrong and also seeing the right.. the good things about someone else. Not all the negative.

What else can he do to make her see if he tried everything under the moon and stars that it cannot work on that level. How many employee's are employers changing all the time that don't change or follow the rules.
Some only show up on pay day.  ;D  We fall into our habits  :-\  and sometimes then end up living complicated lives. Then out of frustration we wrote song like this.  ;D >:D

It was a blast  8) ;D

Love it.

Nick can you please post an ape for the folks here of the mix. Thanks.

The Tubes  ;)

Edited the spelling errors
« Last Edit: March 06, 2007, 10:21:50 AM by youtube »

Offline NickT

• NickT
  • Administrator
  • Super Hero
  • Here I am!
    • Ain't TV
Thanks gang.

Before I post the ape I want to do one tweak. I just want to ride the fill and solo guitar a little.

Also, just a little background on the mix.

What drew me to this song was a funky acoustic track I heard early on. I happened to have that original track (you may even hear some ghost vocals from that track!) Tubes sent me a ton of tracks, but I built the song on that rough first track that I thought captured the song. I then added the vox. I wanted a retro feel where the vocals were way out front. I next concentrated on the bass giving the song movement. I used Tac's guitar to fill it out and thought I had the fills up enough...but they need a little more. Next I used Kens drums to pull everyone together. So even though Tubes retracked the acoustic and added some other parts, I felt that original heavy strummed guitar gave it the feel it needed.

And that's the rest of the story! :)

Nick
NickT

www.AintTV.com

www.TestafiedRecords.com

Offline Studioplayer

• Super Hero
  • Overdrive
    • Reverbnation Website
Sounds pretty damn good !! Very Beatlesque  8) Good stuff guys. Good job 'Master Nick'.  ^-^

youtube

Thanks Studio player.  ^-^

Cool Nick.   8)

Thanks for explaining that. What you explained is the sort of delima I have been trying to figure out lately that I would like to get a better grip of. I don't want to get into another page of writing here but this is the sort of thing that I sort of experience.

In actual fact I re tracked that acoustic about 10 times that never surfaced here. I even scored a bunch of other instruments to it including my own drums too. But never used any of that.  Sometimes  the way that first take comes about in sort of hard to re-capture. I cannot get my fingers right on it or what it is but something strange occurs I guess  :-X

I have been experiencing that with another song that I had been working on. Not from here. I put a lot of work in this other song and, the music came out just fantastic. Just like a charm but the very first vocals were sung very well including the harmonies and, the more I went back to re write or re sing even though I think it's better it's worst. It's never like the original. Some people can sit there and get it down nice and better with each  take. With me weird thing that sometimes happens is that the original take is on average better than the serious take. I experienced that a few times with my stuff and, I don't understand it 100%
at the moment. I have not gotten down to the nitty gritty to see what makes it like that. Not sure if others experience similar situations but that's what happens to me. It does not matter if I use $500 head sets and $1500 mikes or what-not. That is my experience. Sometimes it may be timing and inspiration and sometimes the more time you spend on something without a break probably the less you hear it correctly. I can see why mix engineers need a second set of ears sometimes.

Thanks again Nick.

Tubes :)
« Last Edit: March 06, 2007, 12:11:28 PM by youtube »

Offline groverk

• The Pendletones

Offline NickT

• NickT
  • Administrator
  • Super Hero
  • Here I am!
    • Ain't TV
New aggressive version in first post:

http://www.musicianscollaboration.com/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=1430.0;attach=3753

I hear some ghost vocal but it doesn't bother me.

let me know!

Nick
NickT

www.AintTV.com

www.TestafiedRecords.com

Offline Sharpola

• Poppin' Rockers
  • Super Hero
  • my my bless my soul miga diga baga nig nictin toe
    • Sharpola on Facebook

dogbizkits

Way cool !!  Well done everyone  :)

Apart from the beatles, I also hear a little Oasis in there.
This was a very enjoyable listen and it's a really nice mix too, Nick.

What the hell did you use on Dave's bass.... that thing has a terrific warm punch on my gear just sounds great. Something seems way different to your "usual" bass processing.

Rab  8)

youtube

I think this recent Nick-T mix sound excellent.  8) Very crisp. The acoustic gtr really stands out.  I agree that the bass sounds fantastic. 1st & foremost Dave is a number "1" player and, I have admired his sound. He is a tight player and he has really cool insight in developing those bass-lines on top of that. Nick really brought the tone and brighten sound of that bass out. And it fits the acoustic and everything else so well. it was a little hard for me to hear that prior to Nicks mix. I do now.  ::)   Thanks so much Dave.  ^-^  Thanks Nick for such a cool mix. Dog-Bitz I agree there is some Oasis in there.  Love them too. They are great.

If you wish Nick you can post an ape for the folks here.

Tubes  :)

« Last Edit: March 13, 2007, 07:24:33 PM by youtube »

Offline Tacman7

I like it!

It sounds the way I remember it. I mainly listened to those rhythm guitars during tracking.

They have a new improved fullness now. Big sound.

Good Job, lot of work!

Offline NickT

• NickT
  • Administrator
  • Super Hero
  • Here I am!
    • Ain't TV

What the hell did you use on Dave's bass.... that thing has a terrific warm punch on my gear just sounds great. Something seems way different to your "usual" bass processing.

Rab  8)

LOL! Rab-  8)

That is just David's Awesome tone all by himself! I didn't touch it! I gave the completed mix a bump around 40 just for grins. Between that and the comps, it gave it a really round sound.

Thanks everyone. This was a real pleasure to work on! Nice job done by all!

Nick
NickT

www.AintTV.com

www.TestafiedRecords.com

Offline Davidinoz

• Damn I wish I still looked this good...
Now you know why I need to fix that broken bridge. ;D That bass sounds great just plugged in and played. (D.I. straight in to the soundcard).