Musicians Collaboration Studio

*** MC MC #1 ***

Cary · 137 · 39599

Offline Cary

OK, here's what I did.

From the production standpoint:
First step was to bring all the faders up and see what this song had.  Wow, lots of tracks and stuff going on.
I stripped down to lead vocal and what I thought were the foundation of the song.  The acoustic guitar seemed the most sensible to me, it was slightly disappointing to only have the piezo pickup to work with, but you use what you have.  I have the piano in there too.
The song is a bit long, so I wanted to build the instruments - as to not show the hand all at once.  The way I think of it, once everyone is playing, where do you go from there?
I brought the kick and snare in during the first chorus, ala GNR 'take me down.."  lol  This is where most of the drum editing was done.  I really didn't want to move everything around and effectively redo the drums.  Most of the drums are intact.  I did mute quite a few kick drum hits though.
I comp'd the electric guitar fills track from all four tracks supplied.  Not all of these tracks had the same delay and ambience - I did my best to match them when necessary.
The bass and that electric guitar strat type part starting during the second verse.
I kept the background 'oohs' out until the second chorus.  I also tried to clean up that edit on the end of the line "lost those funny things"  What happened there?  About the middle of the song, the strings come in to support the oohs.  By the last time through the chorus, I used that synth chorus track which really had me thinking Melotron.
I didn't use the percussion stuff - I was thinking more Rock song.  In fact, during my subsequent listens, I'd take out that 10 second section of the bell track I used during the intro.

On the technical side;
Mixed in N-track, all free plug ins with the exception of the mastering limiter.
That kick track has tons of click and I used quite a bit of compression to try and minimize it.  By adjusting the attack time, you can often squash that initial transient of the click.  Using that and EQ, I got the drum to sound more 'felt beater' ish.  Lol
Snare drum has Blockfish set to slam, and tons of 80's reverb.
The rest of the drums have it's own reverb sound - a small room with some damping, trying to get it to sound like a kit in an actual room.
Acoustic guitar has lots of EQ dips, about 3 db - (from memory...400hz, 2k, and 5k)  The goal there was to get it sounding less piezo like.  I have a touch of chorus effect on it too.
Bass guitar has some mild compression.  Also a small EQ bump, +2db @ 200hz
Lead guitar fills have -10db low shelf @ 250hz
Both the piano and electric rhythm guitar parts have a nice -6db dip around 500hz or so to make some room sonically for the vocal.  Also a low shelf at around 200hz to clear room for the bass guitar and kick.
Melotron Choir and Strings have -6db low shelf @ about 400hz.  Huge wide reverb.
Lead vocal has lots of De-essing.  I treated the track in Samplitude to do some noise reduction before bringing it into N-track.  I didn't use any compression on this because the part already has lots of compression before we got our hands on it.  The backing vocals were a similar situation.  Eq is typical Low shelf, somewhere around @150hz or so.

From what I recall, that's about it.
Cary

Offline Cary

First impressions -
Cary - Very 'open' mix. The guitar treatment is nice. I find the 'fill' lead over bearing. Tasty licks for sure, just too much with the lead vox. Tones are all there and nice drum treatment.
Thank you bud!  (Evil guitar has slain the vocalist yet again!  lol)  Perhaps, but it is what it is.  The issue is one of production.  I would have liked to have half of the licks, but to edit them down made them sound out of place as well.  I would say it's true the only reason we were able to edit the drums down was because there was space between the notes!  :)
Cary

Offline Cary

Man... You guys really got a jump on this. I downloaded the tracks but haven't even looked at them. Maybe I'll get on the next one. This one's probably over my head anyways.  ::)

Dave

Hey Dave, please don't think this way man.  Get in there... there's no time limit!   :)
Cary

Offline DoozerDan

• Just another guitarist.
Dan - Vox is a half measure late as mentioned by Cary. The vox get lost with all the guitars  and strings going in the chorus. Drums could use some treatment or just come up. Tones are good.

Yeah, I was wondering if the vocals were out of line, I should have tried to fix em up a bit more.

I was having trouble with the vox, 'cause of all the spikes in the track.  It was making it hard for me to put the volume up.  I'll see what I can do.

Offline Brina

holy crap you guys are on second mixes...

and i'm not even done eq'ing yet....BLAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH

Brina
I just wanna sing..email me sometime  sabrinalund1973@yahoo.com

Offline adf

I think I'm going to have a go at mixing this too - just to make sure all amateurs are represented.  :)

I should have something finished by...let's see...this time next year perhaps.

It sounds like fun though, and I'm sure to learn somehting along the way.

Andy

PS - an overnight download job methinks!
« Last Edit: January 15, 2007, 07:30:29 PM by adf »

Offline DoozerDan

Mix Number two.  Hopefully I've got everything this time.  Undrowned the vocals...  I've upped the volume of the drums.  And dropped the volume of few other things.  And set it so some of the instruments don't come in till later.  See what you think.  Fed back is good.

Dan.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 04:55:48 AM by DoozerDan »

Offline adf

Maybe I'll pass on this one - 339MB to download  :o

Andy

Offline DoozerDan

Maybe I'll pass on this one - 339MB to download  :o

Andy

Oh well.  Maybe next time they'll have a few less tracks to play with  ;)

Dan.

Offline Brina

Ok,

Here's my "first" run....

got some things to iron out after asking a few questions...THANKS NICK!!

but thought I'd at least show there's some progress.......its not that great..but well...(((shrug)))

Brina
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 12:06:55 AM by Brina »
I just wanna sing..email me sometime  sabrinalund1973@yahoo.com

Offline NickT

• NickT
  • Administrator
  • Super Hero
  • Here I am!
    • Ain't TV
OK,

I no longer have the loudest mix. I would venture one of the quietest.

This is basically the same mix. I used different mastering tools and have just been beat up elsewhere about my volume...I truly tried to get a balance of level versus fidelity. Dynamic range instead of monkey brains.

Edit:
I want to clear this post up. I have participated in a few clinics on another site. Although I thought my mixes were good, the only real comments I received were how loud and aggressive it was. So I thought I would try a different approach.

I like loud and aggresive...but wanted to let the mix stand a little more on it's own.

The timing is still off.

Let me know what you think! :)

Nick
« Last Edit: January 17, 2007, 01:38:16 PM by NickT »
NickT

"...My life just Ain't TV..."

www.AintTV.com

www.TestafiedRecords.com

Offline NickT

• NickT
  • Administrator
  • Super Hero
  • Here I am!
    • Ain't TV
Mike - I like it. You've got it dialed in. Nice work.

Dan - Much better mix. I think you could push the overall level a little.The vox "Bark"...eq and comp? you hear the first one at 00:47 "I can..." I like the placement and tone of the mix.

Brina The elements are all there. I am not sure but you seem to be low-mid heavy. Makes the mix a little muddy. Vox also. What I said in the chat about pulling the low and low mids back a little in the guitars holds true for the other tracks. Cymbal Crashes still hot!. Overall the levels are good. Do you do a tune-up every now and then. Take a break from the mix and play a commercial song in the genre. Then go back to your mix.

Nick
NickT

"...My life just Ain't TV..."

www.AintTV.com

www.TestafiedRecords.com

Offline DoozerDan

Dan - Much better mix. I think you could push the overall level a little.The vox "Bark"...eq and comp? you hear the first one at 00:47 "I can..." I like the placement and tone of the mix.

I'll have a look, what you prolly hear is:  I went through and dropped the volume through the spikes, to try and level it out.  So I didn't clip so much.  Which it was doing a lot... Still is.. I don't know any other way of smoothing that out...   

Thanks!

Dan.

Offline Cary

Ok,

Here's my "first" run....

got some things to iron out after asking a few questions...THANKS NICK!!

but thought I'd at least show there's some progress.......its not that great..but well...(((shrug)))

Brina

Why don't you think it's great?  Perhaps you can share what you're having problems with, and also what YOU believe is right.

Listening to your mix, I only have issues with the levels of the drum components - cymbals too loud, toms not loud enough, etc.  You're certainly in the ballpark though, so that's a good thing.

As I said before, perhaps you can share the parts that you're having trouble with and some of the other may offer good advice.
Cary

Offline Bassic_Soul

• Rollin with the flow
I've polished this up a bit and listened to it for a couple of days and I think I'm ready to post with some questions.

I've put several other mixes on my desktop and listened to them quit a bit and I've tried to get the vocal quality that I'm hearing from Curtis, Nick and Cary's mixes. I read Curtis post about exciters and deessers so I downloaded a demo exciter and didn't like what I got from it. (Yea, I read the manual). I wasn't about to pay $145 for the full version; I just don't process vocals that much.

What are you guys using to process the vocals?

I got a freebie Master Limited from Cary some time ago that I use a lot, I'm hoping there is an exciter out there that's either free or costs much less.

I tried to match the vocal quality through compression an EQ in n-track. I used a tip I learned from EPS and stripped the verb from the vocals and used a Quick delay to fatten them just a bit. I could live with this mix but if I could improve the lead vocal some more, I would.

I got the drum track to my liking through some cut & paste work.

Let me know.   8)
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 09:01:27 AM by Bassic_Soul »
Preston