Musicians Collaboration Studio

*** MC MC #1 ***

Cary · 137 · 42309

Offline Letizia

• LetiziaMusic.com
nope, no diss taken. just haven't listened to it yet

ok, after skimming through the thread, are you talking about this:

I also tried to clean up that edit on the end of the line "lost those funny things"  What happened there? 

and, by all means, if you wanna spill the beans, that's ok.

Offline Cary

nope, no diss taken. just haven't listened to it yet

ok, after skimming through the thread, are you talking about this:

I also tried to clean up that edit on the end of the line "lost those funny things"  What happened there? 

and, by all means, if you wanna spill the beans, that's ok.

nope, that's in the backing vocals.

ok....
Cary

Offline Cary

Listening to Ray's raw vocal track, I noticed he was nailing notes spot on, and missing some completely.  When I reached the end of the first chorus, I distinctly heard Autotune mis-tracking.  When I looked at the tracking in Autotune (graphical mode) I could see instances where the vocal notes were jumping to notes that were not in the scale.  It then occurred to me that the track was processed in Auto mode, chromatic.

The problem with this is the following:  If by chance you are slightly flat or sharp, Autotune will correct the note to the closest note in the allowable range.  If you're set to Chromatic, it's very possible for F# to come out as F natural.  This usually only happens during faster note passages because the singer is moving past the notes much faster.  Take a listen to the last line in the first chorus, "well I never want to lose those funny things..."  (This is at about 0:50 seconds into the song)  Ray is a better singer than what you hear on the passage.  It's just that Auto tune took him way off the mark.

Not that I'd ever recommend using Auto mode in Autotune, however if you did, it's much better to set the key of the song - in this case G major.  If you have a case of the singer singing some blues rifs, then you can add the notes required.  The best way to do tuning is to only fix the notes that need it.  Oh, and use Graphical mode!
Cary

Offline Letizia

• LetiziaMusic.com
lol... just listened (before reading the last post) and didn't even notice that.

thanks

dogbizkits

I'm glad you explained that, Cary. I'm not a big fan of auto-tune myself and was a bit puzzled in the way the signal was being modulated on Ray's lead vocal track. It didn't sound like a "proper" auto-tune (whatever that "should" sound like). I could see on-screen when examining the file and I honestly thought it was some really bad artifact that was destroying the clarity of the track. Ray's a very good vocalist [as I've complimented him in the past].. he doesn't "need" auto-tune, but each to their own I suppose.  :)

Rab  8)

Offline DoozerDan

• Just another guitarist.
I wonder why Nick's sounds the best...  8)

Ok guys.  Liking it is one thing, judging is another.  We're trying to learn here.  Please explain what it is about Nick's that makes it best.

Gee wiz, I was joking 'K?  lol,  I wasn't judging.  I'm not sure why I said it.. It was late at night... Sorry.  And I am learning heaps.  Thanks for doing this, it is great fun. 

Dan. 

Offline DoozerDan

Listening to Ray's raw vocal track, I noticed he was nailing notes spot on, and missing some completely.  When I reached the end of the first chorus, I distinctly heard Autotune mis-tracking.  When I looked at the tracking in Autotune (graphical mode) I could see instances where the vocal notes were jumping to notes that were not in the scale.  It then occurred to me that the track was processed in Auto mode, chromatic.

The problem with this is the following:  If by chance you are slightly flat or sharp, Autotune will correct the note to the closest note in the allowable range.  If you're set to Chromatic, it's very possible for F# to come out as F natural.  This usually only happens during faster note passages because the singer is moving past the notes much faster.  Take a listen to the last line in the first chorus, "well I never want to lose those funny things..."  (This is at about 0:50 seconds into the song)  Ray is a better singer than what you hear on the passage.  It's just that Auto tune took him way off the mark.

Not that I'd ever recommend using Auto mode in Autotune, however if you did, it's much better to set the key of the song - in this case G major.  If you have a case of the singer singing some blues rifs, then you can add the notes required.  The best way to do tuning is to only fix the notes that need it.  Oh, and use Graphical mode!

Well, I'd never have worked that out.  the only thing I noticed was the spiking.  I'll have to listen again and see if I can spot it.

Dan.

Offline Cary

Gee wiz, I was joking 'K?  lol,  I wasn't judging.  I'm not sure why I said it.. It was late at night... Sorry.  And I am learning heaps.  Thanks for doing this, it is great fun. 

Dan. 

Thats cool man.. I know you were kinda joking, but it's still a good idea to tell us why it sounds better.  See, what I'm looking for is what we hear as 'good'  Then maybe its something we can figure out how to obtain.   8)
Cary

Offline Studioplayer

• Super Hero
  • Overdrive
    • Reverbnation Website
I assume that's why I hear a slight woobling (warbling) effect on some words. From autotune?  ???

Offline Tacman7

Well started playing with the tracks, well track so far.

Did the vocal and made a stereo lead vocal track with a little reverb.

Going to try making sub mixes.

Read about that and wanted to try it.

Slowly getting there.

Offline CurtisDowney66

Here is my next mix, I am want to know what you all think.  I think I got one more mix left in me for this, then I'm gonna put it down as finished for me.  So give me what you think, and I will make one more mix and call it good.  In this mix I did some more eq on the lead vocal as Nick mentioned, then I did some work on the leads, added a few more parts, and panned it a bit.  I took all 3 lead parts, then used Har-Bal and tried to match them all up so they had the same eq/tone and such, then tried to match up the effects on each one, so as to make it sound like one lead track, instead of 3 different ones.  I ended up using parts from all 3 tracks. That's pretty much it.
Curtis
« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 10:12:27 PM by CurtisDowney66 »

Offline Studioplayer

• Super Hero
  • Overdrive
    • Reverbnation Website
OK, Here's my first preliminary mix. The hardest part for me is the vocals. I always have difficulties in that area. I've basically boosted the bass guitar. Tried to make it beefier. Slightly panned the keys and acoustic L & R. Not much editing on the drums. Took out some crashes in the lead guitar part. Put in lots of lead guitar. (What can I say, I'm a guitarist)  :D  I wanted to use one of those tracks that was clipping all over the place so I had to do some major compressing, eq'ing, resampling and all kinds of things to get it to sound somewhat normal. Panned the backing vocals. Some are center, some are panned about 30% and some are panned about 69%. L & R.

Criticism is welcome. Remember this is NOT my forte'  ::)

Dave
« Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 03:30:16 PM by Studioplayer »

Offline Brina

Ok,

Here's another go, worked with some of the drums...smashed the crap out of them.  Took Nicks advice on the eq of the guitars....still not happy they sound harsh compared to everything else to me....

Played with some different plug ins.....not sure if the drums are still too loud or not..but I'm liking the placement better....

let me have it

Tech wise, couldnt tell you everything except a little of this and a little of that......I'll take some time write it down when I look at the project again to morrow....been on this too long tonight already.

Brina

PS..I wanna know how to get the bass to sound like Dave's!!!!!!!!...
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 12:19:27 AM by Brina »
I just wanna sing..email me sometime  sabrinalund1973@yahoo.com

Offline Studioplayer

• Super Hero
  • Overdrive
    • Reverbnation Website
;D Sorry but I have to laugh that everyone starts out the song differently. Kinda cool how everyone has a different vision as to how the song should be. Shows there's no right or wrong.

Curtis, You have a cool version. Not sure how you got that electric rhythm guitar to work. I couldn't  :o

Offline DoozerDan

Your sounds quite good Dave,  I can't say I was really really listening to it.  I was doing other stuff.  But nothing jumped out at me, so it's not to bad  ;) 

Now to listen to Brina's.

Dan.