Musicians Collaboration Studio

Kick Microphones

Offline groverk

• The Pendletones
Anyone have any advice/opinions on these mic's.

Sure Beta 52A

AKG D112

Audix D6

I need to pick up a kick mic and I'm down to these 3.

Thanks,

Ken

Offline Cary

Jwoo will say the Beta 52 is great.  Many studio owners will sing the praises of the D112 as well as the D6.

Lot of help that was huh...

You'll be happy with any one of them.

You could add the ATM25 to that list and give yourself even more choices.  In fact, the ATM25 may be the least amount of money out of the 4.  But then again, sorry, you weren't asking for more choices!

Of the 3 mentioned, I'd pick the D112 simply because it's on more records than the other three.

Cary

dogbizkits

Hi, Ken.

If I were to rate these 3 mikes, I'd put the Audix D6 first, followed by the AKG D112, then the Shure beta 52A.

The Audix D6 (for me) has a more honest sound and it's an easy mike to position and get a decent sound. In fact, it could easily be confused with the Sennheiser MD421, but the D6 would still win if I had to choose between both.

AKG's D112 isn't as good as their classic D12, but it's a popular mike for the kick drum. Personally I prefer it on some floor toms (but that's just me). What I don't like about this mike is you don't get as good a "snap" because of it's ice-pick high-end. Everything is far trickier position-wise and (of course) on the condition of the drum hardware - which makes me opt again for the Audix D6 or the Sennheiser MD421 because it's so easy to get a decent sound quickly irrespective of new or old bass drum hardware.

The Sure Beta 52A comes third place only because I haven't used it on a kick drum. Interestingly, it can be seen sometimes on TV -- used used on floor toms.... and... wait for it... under the snare drum. As I said, I've never used this mike myself so could only provide that obsevation. If John sings it's praises, that's good enough for me.

As Cary said, you'll be happy with any one of them.

Hope this helped a bit.

Rab  8)

Offline stevegardner

• Drums
Mister Ken- How are ya Man? I have a D112...its killer. You could drop this thing out of an airplane, pick it up, plug it in and gig.
It records real well.
Get one, SG
Drums, Percussion

Offline groverk

• The Pendletones
I'm doing good Steve , thanks for asking.

Well I bought the the d6 yesterday. Thanks for all your help guys.

I'll let you know after this weekend if it was the right choice.

Ken

Offline Thunder

• Super Hero
    • moseskane
Hey Ken its the new guy,Ha ha ha!!! anyway ken i have all the kick mics u talked about and the one i sleep with is the shure 52 i can ashure u this is my 1 kick mic ,I was at the namm 2007 this year and went to the shure party and wow this company cares about there clients,but all for now ps Todd
Todd

Offline groverk

• The Pendletones
Hey Todd,

Well as you read I went with the d-6, I'm pretty happy with it. I'm not SHURE if it was the best pick or not but it's working for me both live and recording. My tom mics are audix d-2 and d-4. They seem to be pretty good live but for recording I don't think they're cutting it. I still have to try some different mic placement to be sure but my gut instinct is I need something different.

On the other hand when I record live they're not so bad, but I'm using a different kit and I'm recording with my hd24, so it's kinda hard to tell.

For the online stuff I've been recording with the roland td-20 for the last 2 years but I just decided to go with the acoustics from now on. So I'm at the begining stages of coming up with a good consistant drum sound.

So if you listen to any of my takes and you have any advice please don't be shy in speaking up. I can use alot of help on recording acoustics.

See Ya

Ken

Offline jwoo10

• Super Hero
    • Jwoo10's Site
I see I'm late and you already made your purchase... Cary's right. I'll stand by the Beta 52 for life...

I have many reasons...

some key points for me are...
1. Durability
2. Spl rating... (as I'm a Heavy footed player)
3. Freq response
4. What simply sounds good on MY kit.. (both live and studio)

I've played around enough with ALL three of the mic's you mentioned above... The beta 52 still has MY vote

Something else to consider... various kick drum sounds *(depending on whats required for the song)... can be gotten from ALL of the mic's above... BUT if that kick drum it's self doesn't sound good/isn't tuned properly from the get-go... you'll be wasting your time

also the kick head (batter head)  warrants some degree of mention here too... I use the Aquarian Super Kick II... NONE finer period! for both live and studio applications! just mho