Musicians Collaboration Studio

Panning Stereo Tracks?

NickT · 17 · 8773

Offline Davidinoz

• Damn I wish I still looked this good...
Ok I'm trying to wrap my brain around mono and stereo.   Why is important to get mono tracks such as the bass? Also do you prefer that for guitar? When I record electric guitar to stereo it seems to have much more life to it than a mono track. Also if I take a stereo track and convert it to mono why has it also become lifeless. Don't quite get it.

I also get a lot of people sending stereo tracks when it's not necessary (or desirable). Things like vocals and bass only need to be mono because the same information is on both channels. A stereo track is twice the file size of a mono track so it's just a waste of bandwidth. I agree a guitar track can sound better in stereo by itself but remember you are only listening to the guitar, not the entire mix. A mix full of stereo tracks will soon become muddy and lack definition. 95% of the tracks I get will be processed (and converted to mono) before I import them into the DAW. If a track needs more "width" you can put on a stereo delay to expand it a little. The exeption to this is things like synths and piano which I leave as stereo if it fits the mix.

Offline Studioplayer

• Super Hero
  • Overdrive
    • Reverbnation Website