Musicians Collaboration Studio

Recording software (which one?)

r4m · 19 · 9055

Offline r4m

• Super Hero
I mostly use multi-track reorders but am trying to merge into computer based recording. I've used mostly
N-Track 5. Is it comparable with the other programs out there or is it junk?
I was thinking about upgrading but that is kind of pointless if the other programs are much better.
I have already upgraded 2 or 3 times since my initial download. Should I stop sinking $$$ into N-track? Seems every year they upgrade. Orjust spend the BIG $$$ and get something else?
thanks!

BIll

Offline NickT

• NickT
  • Administrator
  • Super Hero
  • Here I am!
    • Ain't TV
Bill,

Bang for buck, you could try reaper. Of course there are Sonar diehards like me. :)

download some demo's and try them out.

Good luck!

Nick
NickT

"...My life just Ain't TV..."

www.AintTV.com

www.TestafiedRecords.com

Offline Stoney

• Super Hero
  • Just Me Makin Noises
    • The Music of Stonehead
I did a lot with the old Sonar 1 and loved it ...a while back I changed over to Cubase sx3 mainly for convenience as it was the software being used by a guy I was working with at the time. It's now just about all I use ...just fantastic.

Cheers Ian

Offline Tacman7

I started with pgmusic powertracks then cakewalk which turned into Sonar but I switched to Logic because of the advanced midi features, plus other reasons. Then Mac bought emagic and they stopped supporting the windows version.

Eventually I switched to SX3, can't say enough about it.

Kind of like the Microsoft Office products, no way in your lifetime will you ever learn everything they can do.

Cubase is like that for me, I'm always learning new ways to use it and discovering hidden possibilities it possesses.

But I think it's about what your needs are. Many capable sequencers out there if you just need a virtual tape recorder.

Something to be said for having unlimited possibilities and room to grow...

Offline McLovin

• Super Hero
    • HDA
Hi Bill,

Not sure I should even be commenting on this thread,..as I asked the very same question not 6 months ago.

I have been using MultitrackStudio Professional... ( http://multitrackstudio.com/ )...for about 1 year now.  I was drawn to it for it's really user friendly interface (much like analog recorders) and its low cost.  I was having latency issues that had nothing to do with the program.  My soundcard drivers where not working properly. 

As of Christmas upgraded to the Pro Plus edition ($115.00).  I think Pro Plus really is the only way to go for this software as it seems to offer everything that I need and more.  I am surprised that more people don't use this software because of its ease of use.

It has been a very stable program and does hog the CPU.

Tough decision to make,.. good luck.
Keyboard Player/Singer/Songwriter
www.mclovintheduo.com
www.yournewneighbors.net

Offline TallPaul

• Super Hero
    • Tall Paul And Friends
I've been an n-track user for years, and am currently using 6.0.3 which behaves itself very well. However, my friend Rick recently was asking about software and I pointed him towards Reaper. Why? Because there is only one developer behind n-track (Flavio Antonelli) and while he is very good, there are (as far as I know) teams of developers behind other software. And if you go on the n-track forum, a lot of the users are talking about Reaper! :-) Or they were when I checked a few months ago.
Songwriter, lyricist, vocalist, guitarist... pretty much in that order! :-)

Offline r4m

• Super Hero
Thanks for all the replies! Still a tough decision to make. I guess one of the main concerns is "How does
N-track compare to the other softwares as far as sound quality?" Kinda like one guy mentioned in another thread, the specs say one thing, but the sound is far different. But I really have nothing to compare to.
I just recently got an old Layla 24/96 card. It doesn't have phantom power though. It has 8 in and 8 outs all 1/4 in. I guess this is another thread.
N-track has 64bit mixing. What is that? I can only record at 24 bit.
I guess Nick had a good suggestion: "Download the trial versions." Sounds like a plan Nick!!!
I guess that is why I've been with multi-track recorders till now. I don't understand all the ins, outs, bits, s/pdif, adat, word clock???  ::)
I guess it's off to another thread to try to understand my card now. :D

Offline TallPaul

• Super Hero
    • Tall Paul And Friends
How far have you gotten using n-track? Maybe I can help with any problems you might have.

Offline CosmicDolphin

• Jedi
  • Do or do not..there is no try
    • Phonicworks : TV Production Music
It's great that you can use Reaper for nothing and see if you like it or not...I've only ever read good things about it and if I was starting from scratch I'd probably go for it due to the low costs and the good things I keep reading about it.

The 64bit mixing you refer to is just the internal arithmatic , not what it outputs.....24 bit recordings have a great signal to noise ratio , even 16 bit can sound great when recorded properly....my system only handles 16bit recordings.

The in/outs on the Layla are the equivalant of multitrack ins and outs , so no new understanding needed there....bits is just the amount of 1's and zero's used to describe the audio digitally..more is usually better as there's more resolution and headroom.

S/pdif is the Sony/Philips Digital Interface...just a way of interconnecting digitally rather than normal analogue cables.

ADAT - Alesis Digital Audio Tape if memory serves..I have one in the loft..a digital 8 track recorder...they decided to use what's know as the 'lightpipe' connection in other equipment because it can carry 8 channels of digital audio in and out which is useful.

Word Clock is for connecting to another piece of gears clock...each piece of gear has it's own crystal oscilating away inside to lock the frequency/bitrate.....as these can drift slightly when synching different pieces of digital products together it can cause 'jitter'....which basically sounds bad.... better gear will let you lock to one master clock...stuff should sound better if synched to a high quality wordclock....or at least to the best one you have.  If you have no other digital gear then don't worry about it.

Forgive me if I'm hazy , I just reeled that off the top of my head  ::)
...and it's late

CD

PS - I've used Sonar since Cakewalk days..it's hardwired in to the DNA now.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2009, 05:41:11 PM by CosmicDolphin »
We never finish a mix... we simply abandon them.
You can't polish a turd, but you can always spray paint it GOLD
Great songs are not written, they are re-witten

Offline r4m

• Super Hero
WoW CD! Yer like a walking library!! :) I asctually know a little more than I seem in my last post. Just not real deep.

Paul,
I've been using n-track for 3 or 4 years. Just haven't had much luck till I got my Layla. Layla seems to help with some issues. Before I was using a Soundblaster Live card and upgraded to a 24 bit Soundblaster which turned out to be NOT 24 bit!!
But I've been using N-track for mixdown which I seem to like pretty well for alot of the features not accesable on my recorders. Like a big screen, the volume adjustment via nodes and panning as well.
One problem I seem to be having is record volume on my tracks. I was under the impression that the Layla had built in preamps? Dunno now?? Was recording drums and couldn't get big signal.
Recording direct thru my Podxt seems ok from what I remember.
How does N-Track stack up to the other softwares out there? I'm still thinking about upgrading even if I go with another program. ($35 I believe) I have lots of plugins. Waves Gold, T-racks, Time Works Millenium,  and Nomad Blue tubes Bundle, which I twiddle with, but really don't know alot about them.
Just starting to get back into the recording thing, been in a band the last 3 years which I just quit.
So trying to get some direction here.
thanks
Bill

Offline TallPaul

• Super Hero
    • Tall Paul And Friends
Hi Bill,

So what HAVE you been able to record and get a strong signal level on in n-track? Vocals, guitar, talking, etc?

Outside of n-track, your mic('s) might need phantom power. Does the Layla card provide phantom power? What kind of mics?

Inside n-track, in the audio options you need to be displaying the Record viewmeter, and the inputs you are going to be recording from need to be enabled, and then you need to arm a track for each of those inputs. Let me know if you need help on this, or if that's already simple stuff.

Paul

Offline Basil

• http://www.bandmix.com/mike-basil/
Been using Reaper for a year.
It doesn't cost very much, it's always being updated free of charge, it doesn't take up much room on your hard drive, it's very stable, has a great forum for finding help.. if needed.

Two thumbs up :)

Offline Todd

I only record vocals, and don't mix anything, but I use Audacity.
Its free and does everything I need it to do.

May not be robust enough for most folks needs.

Todd
In Charge of geneRAL Mayhem

Offline Paulo

• Super Hero
Always used Cubase but some months ago I switchedto Nuendo wich sort of a Cubase's big brother... I like Steinberg products, always used their platforms but it's a matter of personal I guess all of them do more or less the same.
Live the best you can 'cause you're gonna be dead for a long time.
Respect
Paulo Gomes

Offline TallPaul

• Super Hero
    • Tall Paul And Friends
Bill, I should have paid more attention to your post. Looks to me like the Layla does not have a phantom power button on the box (no button to push), and I agree I don't see it listed in the specs anywhere:
http://www.echoaudio.com/Products/Discontinued/Layla24/layla24_both.jpg
http://www.echoaudio.com/Products/Discontinued/Layla24/specs.php

You COULD buy an external phantom power supply like these:
http://www.echoaudio.com/Products/Discontinued/Layla24/specs.php

But I imagine if you are mic'ing drums you probably have 4 or 5 mics to power up?

Paul