Musicians Collaboration Studio

Installed Vista 64...and of course, need some help

Offline stevegardner

• Drums
Alrighty-- The title says it all. I bought a new rig today.great machine. But, I run my drums into a Presonuse Firepod then into Sonar. I have been using an older version of Sonar...Sonar 4.0. But, for my nees it has worked fine. I use no VSTs, really just line the tracks up, record and export. I would imagine I can get this stuff working...but, I have not had any luck yet. The Presonus Firepod is the piece that is p*ssing me off the most. So, in the event I get fed up and toss this crap, what would be a good alternative without spending too much? My needs are pretty simple. I run eight direct lines to an interface, then into Soanr to record. Whatever is simple and whatever isn't costly. Yeah, I can buy Sonar 8 for $500 and buy a new interface for another $500. Thats too much bread and a bunch of features I will never touch....

Any thoughts? Ideally, I would get my stuff working. On a positve note, Itunes moved over pretty easy....I hope you are all doing well...SG
Drums, Percussion

Offline Davidinoz

• Damn I wish I still looked this good...
Try checking Presonus' website for clues, maybe updated drivers. Also see if they have a forum dedicted to their gear. There's bound to be someone who's already figured it out.
I've managed to avoid Vista but I believe there is something called "compatability mode" which might make Sonar behave better.

Offline stevegardner

• Drums
Yeah, I have been all over Presonus website, DL their latest drivers...all to no avail. I will keep working at it. Meanwhile, I am looking for new ideas...
Drums, Percussion

Offline stevegardner

• Drums
Cool....got the Firepod working. The Sonar CD does not even load. I click on install...nothin happens. So, I will try to sort thorugh that.
Drums, Percussion

Offline Rattlehed

Offline stevegardner

• Drums
Yeah, I can't even install the free trial...So, what do I get? My Firepod is working great with 64 bit drivers...I just need recoreding software for drums....don't really care if it is 64 bit or not. It would be cool, but not a deal breaker.
Drums, Percussion

Offline CosmicDolphin

• Jedi
  • Do or do not..there is no try
    • Phonicworks : TV Production Music
sonar 8 sucks, don't even consider it, it crashes constantly.

Works great for me , most stable version of Sonar I've had...on XP...did you install it on your new laptop Pat ?
We never finish a mix... we simply abandon them.
You can't polish a turd, but you can always spray paint it GOLD
Great songs are not written, they are re-witten

Offline CosmicDolphin

• Jedi
  • Do or do not..there is no try
    • Phonicworks : TV Production Music
Yeah, I can't even install the free trial...So, what do I get? My Firepod is working great with 64 bit drivers...I just need recoreding software for drums....don't really care if it is 64 bit or not. It would be cool, but not a deal breaker.

Why not give Reaper a try...ultra cheap..small footprint...contant updates to make it work with everything ?  Free Trial period..

Can't lose !

CD

PS..It has a 64bit audio engine too

« Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 03:02:58 PM by CosmicDolphin »
We never finish a mix... we simply abandon them.
You can't polish a turd, but you can always spray paint it GOLD
Great songs are not written, they are re-witten

Offline stevegardner

• Drums
Yep...I just downloaded. I was not wanting to larn a new program, but it should not be that hard. I just need to figure out how to set the eight tracks to record separate tracks.....I dug Sonar, not certain what the problem is.
But, I will work with Reaper...thanks.
Drums, Percussion

Offline NickT

• NickT
  • Administrator
  • Super Hero
  • Here I am!
    • Ain't TV
Are you running vista 64?

That would be why sonar 4 won't load.

I'm running vista 32 with S8 on the laptop and it runs great.

Let us know what you are running and your rig.

Nick
NickT

"...My life just Ain't TV..."

www.AintTV.com

www.TestafiedRecords.com

Offline stevegardner

• Drums
Hi Nick- Yes Vista 64 is the OS.  i did quite a bit of reading at the Sonar forum. sonar 4 is not supporting Vista 64, but alot of guys are using it as a 32 bit system....there are some guys using it. I have the Reaper DLed and it seems pretty cool for ny neds. I do nut use effects, I just need eight separate tracks for recording. I have a template set upmand I will mess with it more tomorrow. I just need a couple of tweaks and I am good to go. Seems like a great program ...
I have a new HP Pavillion...8 Gb Ram, 2.3 GHZ process, 750 GB HD.......nice rig.

Thanks
Drums, Percussion

Offline NickT

• NickT
  • Administrator
  • Super Hero
  • Here I am!
    • Ain't TV
Cool Steve,

Yeah, I have been using reaper and Sonar for a long time. Reaper has come a long way since the beta days!

Glad you got it running. Good luck with the rig!

Nick
NickT

"...My life just Ain't TV..."

www.AintTV.com

www.TestafiedRecords.com