REAPER

Offline docmidnite

• Super Hero
  • Rock on, dude
    • http://indiemusicworks.com/Henry_Mittnacht/
Is anyone using REAPER?
Sounds intersting...
Any experienced user here???

Who does it work compared to Cubase SX???

Offline OcalaMusician

• Guitar, Bass, Acoustic drums, bit of Keys & Mixing
    • OcalaMusician on YouTube.com
Okay - well Doc since I brought it up - I'm an experienced user now.  How may I be of assistance to you??  Step right this way and have a seat and my nurse will be right with you.  LOL

U da man!!
Neal - The Multi-Instrumentalist & Mix Engineer.

Offline groverk

• The Pendletones
It's pretty good Doc .

I use it on my laptop to record practices sometimes. It seems to be easy on the CPU . It doesn't do wma files ( unless I'm doing something wrong ) but thats no biggie with DB Power amp .

They are constantly updating which is nice to know .

About a 2 years ago Nick did a recording with the program completely running off a thumb drive , which is pretty impressive .

The plugins they give you with it aren't bad either .
I'm not sure how the midi works with it , haven't tried it yet .

Free is hard price to beat no matter how you look at it .

Ken

Offline NickT

• NickT
  • Administrator
  • Super Hero
  • Here I am!
    • Ain't TV
I like Reaper and was pushing it when they just got started. It does everything you need a DAW to do.

Go wander through their forums. Good info there. Also check them out on KVR.

I am a Sonar guy from way back. But reaper will do it all pretty gracefully. I'd rank it right up there with most of the newer DAWS. And the price is right.

So $60.00 is a good price!

Nick
NickT

"...My life just Ain't TV..."

www.AintTV.com

www.TestafiedRecords.com

Offline Argle

• Alchemystic Audio
Yeah Reaper is good.  I've been using Sonar for 5+ years and have no need of any other DAW, but Reaper will do the trick, and the price is right (free if you want).

Offline OcalaMusician

Offline NickT

• NickT
  • Administrator
  • Super Hero
  • Here I am!
    • Ain't TV
Neal,

Why not just run the drums through the 8 line ins on the UX8 to seperate tracks?

Nick
NickT

www.AintTV.com

www.TestafiedRecords.com

Offline OcalaMusician

Nick - I do not have the 8 inputs on the computer side.  I would need a PCI Card with a 8 input break out in order for me to do that.  As it stands now I only have the ability to do two at a time because the sound card only has the typical stereo line in.

Neal

Offline NickT

• NickT
  • Administrator
  • Super Hero
  • Here I am!
    • Ain't TV
You get 8 ins throught the USB input.

Nick
NickT

www.AintTV.com

www.TestafiedRecords.com

Offline OcalaMusician

See Doc - I don't feel that the lead I got from someone on here about REAPER has led me wrong.  If fact , quite the opposite.

I think what Groverk said and NickT just copied the REAPER main page pricing sheet & terms of use.

I have two networked computers now and I have both of them running this program and I only needed to buy one license because of my personal home use.  I agree that the VST's that come with the program are very good for no extra charge, but I've found out that it works with EVERY type and kind of plug-in I have from my Sony SoundForge program to every other audio processing program I ever bought and no l;onger use.  Lastly, I have found tons of excellent free add-ons/plug-ins that you might already be aware of and perhaps some you might not.  I'm certainly more than happy to share anything I have with you if you feel it might better serve you and your process of recording/mixing/mastering.

I just posted a final approved mix for Mimmo's "Little Child Inside Me".  I also have a final mix wih some of my own recorded tracks onthe song by Stoman called "Ripples" in the finished Works section as well.  I've got two more final mixes coming for Eman's "Romanian Girl" & hopefully will be approved, plus a final (yet to be approved) mix for SRV Fender's "You Don't Need Me Anymore".

I also have a TON of posted track seps that were recorded and rendered using REAPER.  I also have several older tracks on here back from the "olden days" before REAPER.  Those were recorded on my analog (HD24 recorder to me is analog in today's world), but I certainly did not have nearly the tools, effects, audio enhancing tools, etc.

Offline NickT

• NickT
  • Administrator
  • Super Hero
  • Here I am!
    • Ain't TV
Q: How many Instruments/Mics can I record at one time? Since you are monitoring directly out of the UX8, am I going to experience any latency when recording all 8 inputs?

A: 8 inputs can be recorded at any given time. Outputs 1 & 2 are monitored via ToneDirect, with the remaining outputs monitored from the hardware at near zero latency.

I am sure you can record 8 ins to seperate tracks with the UX8.

I have a M-Audio Fast Track Ultra. It's USB and I can route all 8 inputs to seperate tracks.

Nick
NickT

www.AintTV.com

www.TestafiedRecords.com

Offline OcalaMusician

Hey Nick - I just noticed the money...when did someone take that video of you playing live???  LOL   ;D  Yes I can get all 8 into the two main outputs at the same time.  It's just a matter of going into the utilities and assigning everything to the same two outputs.

Was that M-Audio interface expensive?

Neal

PS - if anyone ever wants Line 6 products, please contact me as of August 17th I am now endorsed by Line 6 for Variax Guitars and Vetta Amps - everything else is at employee pricing, but it takes them about two weeks to process orders!!

Offline NickT

• NickT
  • Administrator
  • Super Hero
  • Here I am!
    • Ain't TV
So the UX 8 only has two outs through the USB connection? Drag!

My variax is still in the shop. Needed the rj45 connector replaced on the guitar and Line 6 won't sell the jack. Had to go through a ripoff electronics house and they have had it a month!

OK doc...you can have your thread back! :)
NickT

www.AintTV.com

www.TestafiedRecords.com

Offline OcalaMusician

So the UX 8 only has two outs through the USB connection? Drag!

My variax is still in the shop. Needed the rj45 connector replaced on the guitar and Line 6 won't sell the jack. Had to go through a ripoff electronics house and they have had it a month!

OK doc...you can have your thread back! :)
Nick - can I help you out with your Variax problem??  I'm endorsed by Line 6 so I might be able to get things they tell the regular customers they don't have.  Just let me know and I'll see what i can do to help.  You also can call anytime between 2pm and 2am under normal circumstances.  352-622-6604 - I'm in Ocala, FL  not too far north from Ken G.

Vincent

I use Reaper now as well...Im slow at learning it though.

To me forever to figure out how to adjust a track if it didnt line up properly...now I know how...select track and press F2...at top left where it says position...just adjust last three or 4 digits untill you find the # that lines the tracks up.

Its actually pretty easy to do however it may take a few treis to dial in the exact #.