Musicians Collaboration Studio

equalizers

nitch · 20 · 9152

Offline nitch

I am running Cubase AI4.  This software does not come with eq presets.  I lack experience when it comes to eqing a song and I would find it helpful to have a variety of EQ settings to could choose from (as opposed to me trying to create manual EQ settings that work for the track).  Is there some sort of program or extension that I can download and load up in Cubase or do I need to update my software? 

Offline Stoney

• Super Hero
  • Just Me Makin Noises
    • The Music of Stonehead
Hi Parry
Are you talking about Track/mixing EQ or Output Bus/Mastering EQ.

If you are talking about track EQ while mixing I think you really have to get good monitors, a good reference (a track you like) and use your ears along with the in track EQ ...I like the graphic EQ that comes with cubase..after all you are adjusting the tonal qualities of each part/inst to find it's position in the overall freq range of the track.

If on the other hand you are looking for something that will give you mastering presets then take a look at Ozone. It comes with plenty of presets (some you can use as track fx). Use them as a good starting point and adjust to suit.

Ian  :)

Offline Paulo

• Super Hero
Parry,
I don't believe in equing presets just because they don't suit me...
... You'd better try yourself until you're happy... It's long learning curve and you will never be happy but while time roles you'll learn
Live the best you can 'cause you're gonna be dead for a long time.
Respect
Paulo Gomes

Offline Argle

• Alchemystic Audio
there is no such thing as a useful EQ preset.  You have to learn how to comfortably use EQ.

Offline detune

• Mark
    • @pump_upp - best crypto pumps on telegram !
The only useful EQ preset would be one that you tweak after it's loaded.

Offline NickT

• NickT
  • Administrator
  • Super Hero
  • Here I am!
    • Ain't TV
This is one of my favorite articles on the subject. I learned alot from this and setup presets based on the article. Of course you have to tweak each track differently, but this give you a good idea why you are tweaking.

Nick
NickT

"...My life just Ain't TV..."

www.AintTV.com

www.TestafiedRecords.com

Offline nitch

Clearly I was looking for the easy way out, it doesn't seem like you guys are going to let me off of the hook.  I appreciate all of your insight.  It sounds like it will come with practice and time.  Either way, I still think that EQ presets would be helpful, I could quickly preview different presets and fine tune it from there.  The problem is I don't know where to begin.

Offline NickT

• NickT
  • Administrator
  • Super Hero
  • Here I am!
    • Ain't TV
Did you read the EQ Primer I attached? Doesn't get much easier than that to make presets and name them.  ???

;) Nick
NickT

www.AintTV.com

www.TestafiedRecords.com

Offline nitch

I did and it was over my head....
Ill be referring back to it.  thanks

Offline NickT

• NickT
  • Administrator
  • Super Hero
  • Here I am!
    • Ain't TV
Gotcha!

Yeah...you need to wrap your brain around the parametric EQ. It is pretty easy.

Pick the frequency
Adjust the Q - how wide or how many adjacent frequencys you move.
Gain/cut the frequency (turn up or down)

I just used the parametric eq in sonar and plugged the numbers in for kick, snare, guitars vocal and so forth and saved them as presets.

Good luck with it! :)

Nick
NickT

www.AintTV.com

www.TestafiedRecords.com

Offline CosmicDolphin

• Jedi
  • Do or do not..there is no try
    • Phonicworks : TV Production Music
I've been eq-ing stuff for 20 years and I still screw it up  ;D

You can't really rely on presets , some of them are good starting points but there's way too many variables....I mean how can you have a kick drum eq preset when there's all the different models of drums , beaters , different tuning , the room sound , the mic , the mic position , the pre-amp , the drummer...all these variables interacting.  You can see why it'd be a very loose fit.  Better to google a good article about it and read through it , give it a try , compare it to a CD you like , then try and tweak.

There's alot more to it than eq too , compression  , limiting , panning , delays , reverbs , fader rides...all these tools to help deliver a mix that supports the song.  Or not  ::)

CD

PS - thanks for the article Nick , I've printed it for some bedtime reading  8)
We never finish a mix... we simply abandon them.
You can't polish a turd, but you can always spray paint it GOLD
Great songs are not written, they are re-witten

Offline NickT

• NickT
  • Administrator
  • Super Hero
  • Here I am!
    • Ain't TV
Your welcome! Of course those are good starting points. I just look for the primary freqs and apply the the idea. I still remember that article. One of the first looks into eq and making space for the mix.
NickT

www.AintTV.com

www.TestafiedRecords.com

Offline Paulo

• Super Hero
Yeh... To me it's always a game... Sometimes more or less, most of the times is bad  ;D... I believe that in my case, when it sounds good it's a matter of luck not my skills, lol.
Live the best you can 'cause you're gonna be dead for a long time.
Respect
Paulo Gomes

Offline McLovin

• Super Hero
    • HDA
I have the "luck" preset too.  F'ing thing only works some of the time. ;D
Keyboard Player/Singer/Songwriter
www.mclovintheduo.com
www.yournewneighbors.net

Offline Argle

• Alchemystic Audio
Clearly I was looking for the easy way out, it doesn't seem like you guys are going to let me off of the hook.  I appreciate all of your insight.  It sounds like it will come with practice and time.  Either way, I still think that EQ presets would be helpful, I could quickly preview different presets and fine tune it from there.  The problem is I don't know where to begin.

I don't even think starting with presets is useful.  The way to learn it is to get a paramentric eq, grab one of the bands and move it around, and listen.  That's really all it is, a lot of listening practice.  Listening to the effect of boosting or cutting at X frequency.  A common tactic is to boost a band alot and sweep it around and search for the worst sounding spot, then cut a bit.