Musicians Collaboration Studio

Ok, first question on this board. Latency issues using lexicon Omega

Offline luisma1972

• LMA Project Page
Ok guys, I'm having hard times recording with my setup, wich is:
Pentium IV 2.8 Ghz, 512mb ram, geforce 6200 128mb video card, lexicon omega usb recording interface, Sonar 5

The problem is that I'm having timing issues when recording. To test that I fed back the metronome and recorded it to a separate track. Depending on the asio settings I got different delays in the recorded metronome track, as high as 35 ms  :o. So when I track I have to slide the tracks to get good results, but that kills the muse  >:( . Is this a poor designed driver or maybe I'm missing something (using 24 bit 44.1 Khz asio drivers).

Thanks in advance.
Luis Manuel Aguilar

Offline NickT

• NickT
  • Administrator
  • Super Hero
  • Here I am!
    • Ain't TV
Luis,

Have you udated the Sonar 5 to 5.2?

My understanding is that some of the asio latency problems were fixed.

I read at cakewalk.com forum that the drivers could give you different results. Did you download the latest drivers for your interface?

These are obvious questions. I know BP and a few others are using Sonar 5. I am not having that problem, but I usually use the wdm drivers.

I will look into it more! :)
NickT

"...My life just Ain't TV..."

www.AintTV.com

www.TestafiedRecords.com

Offline luisma1972

• LMA Project Page
I have updated to 5.2, but the problems are still there. i have the latest drivers.

I'll try lexicon support to see what happens, just wanted to have some input from here before.
Luis Manuel Aguilar

Offline Gerk

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
  • code monkey no sing!
    • Studio Gerk Pics
Typically you'll probably find the wdm drivers are going to be lower latency.  35ms is insane!  I know you do things through guitar rig and stuff as well, which just makes matters worse... hopefully it's just a driver thing!

Mark

Offline luisma1972

• LMA Project Page
I tried my setup in a different computer, a 3.2GHz HT PIV 1 MB ram. The problem is still there  >:(

I'll write to lexicon customer support to see what happens.
Luis Manuel Aguilar

Offline BBDog

• BB Dog new website. Still under construction
Could always try an external card with zero latency monitoring. I could never get on with DAW mainly because of issues like this. Having been forced to use DAW because of my HDD Recorder dying. I've started using this method & it's hassle free! :)
« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 12:05:08 PM by BBDog »

Offline mickbrit55

• Super Hero
Hey Luis, sorry you are having latency troubles. If you are still having problems after contacting Lexicon you may want to take a look at maybe upgrading your system. The P4 chips are kinda at the lower end of the spectrum now, an i5 or i7 quad core would be more in line with a DAW set up. 512MB of RAM is just about enough memory to run Windows XP 32-bit ... and not much else. I just built an i7 with 8Gig of RAM running Windows 7 64-bit, and I'm already looking to upgrade to 16Gig of RAM.

I'm not a great fan of USB2.0, especially for an interface. I just think it's too slow. I would suggest a Firewire or USB3.0 device. Lastly, I remember I had some issues with latency and Sonar 5.2 - even after the fix. All I can tell you is that once I upgraded to 8.5.3 Producer I have had nothing but rock solid stabillity. Don't know how much the upgrade is now but I'm sure it's pretty low considering they just bought out the new X1 version.

Hope this helps you a bit and you get the problem solved soon :)

Mick.
Very funny Spok ... now beam down my trousers.
SoundClick : http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=816080

Offline BBDog

Agree totally with Mickbrit55. Though having said that, I have tried recording on a 1.5 Ghz Athlon, running Windows 2000, USB 1.5 & 256 Mbs of RAM. Although it runs slowly & won't run Guitar Rig or any other programs without locking up. There is no latency problem with an external card :)

This may be a cheaper option for you, but 512 Mbs of memory is the biggest issue you have. More so than a slow processor. 2.5 Ghz should be fine, but you need 1 gigabyte of memory as an absolute minimum, 4 gigabytes as a starting point, the bigger the better!

Just by installing more memory you will think you have a different machine. It's the RAM that's the bottle neck! :)

Hope this is of help! BB Dog 8) 

P.S   I thought that Lexicon Omega Studio was zero latency anyway? Is your monitoring control set correctly. I know it sounds daft, but the smallest things are often overlooked!
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 02:39:28 AM by BBDog »

Offline Gerk

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
  • code monkey no sing!
    • Studio Gerk Pics
You guys dug up and are answering a 5 year old thread ;)  I'm not sure if Luis is still having this issue ;)

Offline BBDog

Oh well, there you go, I'm a moron!  :P It's a good job that I'm picking up my new glasses tomorrow! Didn't have my glasses on when I replied. I just saw it was May 2000 & something. Assumed it was 2011! :-X

ASSUME! Makes an ASS out of U & ME ;D

Oh well, better luck next time eh ;D

Most likely changed his gear by now!

Thanks for your reply. BB Dog aka Neil :)

Offline McLovin

• Super Hero
    • HDA
MCS,.. the people helping people website,.. whether people need it or not. ;D

I think we have all been affected by latency issues at one time or another,.. so as soon as we see the word "Latency", we feel an emotional connection!

Maybe we should just start a Latency Support Group. ;D
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 10:40:02 PM by HDA »
Keyboard Player/Singer/Songwriter
www.mclovintheduo.com
www.yournewneighbors.net

Offline BBDog

Offline Gerk

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
  • code monkey no sing!
    • Studio Gerk Pics

Offline mickbrit55

• Super Hero
Haha, didn't see the date, just saw it as a recent post :)

Mick.
Very funny Spok ... now beam down my trousers.
SoundClick : http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=816080