Musicians Collaboration Studio

Strange Artifacts

Offline bssistmurf

• Jazz is not a list of tunes, it is an attitude!
Can anyone help me understand this? On my recorded bass tracks I hear things differently in different software packages. The primary difference is the presence of a strange artifact. The best way I can describe it is that it sounds kind of like a washer rattling under the head of a loose screw. It plays along with the notes. Here's the odd part, it seems to be present no matter which bass I've recorded, regardless of what hardware I've recorded on (computer and interface), and is only present in some software packages.

ProTools plays the files cleanly, as do SoundForge, T-Racks, Windows Media Player, and Jet Audio Player.
It is present in CoolEdit Pro, Reaper, and Audacity to differing levels, the loudest being Audacity. No one who has listened to or used my tracks has mentioned it. I downloaded someone elses bass track and his played cleanly in all clients.

Anyone got any ideas what this could be?

Thanks,
Murph

Offline McLovin

• Super Hero
    • HDA
Your going crazy?? >:D

As long as your not hearing voices,...just roll with it.

But seriously,.....I got nuthin! ;)
Keyboard Player/Singer/Songwriter
www.mclovintheduo.com
www.yournewneighbors.net

Offline bssistmurf

Your going crazy?? >:D

As long as your not hearing voices,...just roll with it.

But seriously,.....I got nuthin! ;)

Point A )- No, I'm already in that club. It's not too bad once you get past the initiation but the directions to the meetings tend to get convoluded so sometimes the commute is so challenging it can drive you sane.

Point B )- You mean you don't hear the voices? Have you had your hearing checked lately?  ;) :D

And finally C )- Thanks for responding, at least it's not just me and the voices here anymore!  :D ;D 8)

I've pasted a sample together containing a few of my different instruments containing the same phenomenon. Maybe some of you guys can have a listen. At first I thought maybe it was a depth/accuracy of reproduction thing but when it didn't show up in ProTools I tossed that idea.

Thanks,
Murph

Offline srvfender

• Soundclick
Hey Murph,

I don't hear anything abnormal other than some occaisional silght hiss. The problem appears to be on you're listening end. Maybe someone will hear it ???

AJ

Offline bssistmurf

I'm glad it's not leaving the house. I figure there must be something in the software chain that makes that happen, I just have no idea what. As long as it's added between the audio file and the speakers I can learn to live with it.

Thanks!

Offline CosmicDolphin

• Jedi
  • Do or do not..there is no try
    • Phonicworks : TV Production Music
Did you check it on different speakers/headphones/soundcards ?

Maybe it's localised.

CD
We never finish a mix... we simply abandon them.
You can't polish a turd, but you can always spray paint it GOLD
Great songs are not written, they are re-witten

Offline Gerk

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
  • code monkey no sing!
    • Studio Gerk Pics
I don't hear anything here either .. have you checked all around your listening setup for a "washer rattling under the head of a loose screw"? :)  Stranger things have happened and rattles/vibrations can happen in the strangest of places, especially with bass guitars.  I had something like that happen on my bass rig a couple years ago and was driving me nuts as I couldn't figure out where the rattle was coming from (thought it was a driver problem with my cabinet) -- turned out to be a missing bearing in one of the casters .. so when I hit just the right notes the whole caster would rattle like a freakin' maraca!

Offline CosmicDolphin

• Jedi
I don't hear anything here either .. have you checked all around your listening setup for a "washer rattling under the head of a loose screw"? :)  Stranger things have happened and rattles/vibrations can happen in the strangest of places, especially with bass guitars.  I had something like that happen on my bass rig a couple years ago and was driving me nuts as I couldn't figure out where the rattle was coming from (thought it was a driver problem with my cabinet) -- turned out to be a missing bearing in one of the casters .. so when I hit just the right notes the whole caster would rattle like a freakin' maraca!

Yeah you might have found something's resonant frequency  8)

Offline bssistmurf

Did you check it on different speakers/headphones/soundcards ?

Maybe it's localised.

CD
Not yet, but I will. I'll also try different amps while I'm at it.

I'm also going to try setting up a mic to capture the difference if I can't find it in the above mentioned places.

Thanks to everybody!
Murph

Offline bssistmurf

Mystery solved, sort of. As it turns out the extra artifacts were introduced by the soundcard I was using for monitoring, which is a drag because the interface I use for recording sounds good for monitoring but it seems the driver crashes vista. Anyway, I know where it's coming from. I still have no idea why some programs trigger it and others do not. As long as I know it's not in my files I guess I can work around it.

Thanks for the help in finding it!

Murph

Offline CosmicDolphin

• Jedi
Mystery solved, sort of. As it turns out the extra artifacts were introduced by the soundcard I was using for monitoring, which is a drag because the interface I use for recording sounds good for monitoring but it seems the driver crashes vista. Anyway, I know where it's coming from. I still have no idea why some programs trigger it and others do not. As long as I know it's not in my files I guess I can work around it.

Murph

It's official then...

VISTA SUCKS  ;D ;D

Offline bssistmurf

Offline McLovin

• Super Hero
    • HDA

Murph

It's official then...

VISTA SUCKS  ;D ;D

WHEN WAS IT UNOFFICIAL??
Keyboard Player/Singer/Songwriter
www.mclovintheduo.com
www.yournewneighbors.net

Offline CosmicDolphin

• Jedi
Haha...I'm getting a Mac for my wife ...be ready in a couple of weeks.

Offline Gerk

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
  • code monkey no sing!
    • Studio Gerk Pics