Musicians Collaboration Studio

Strange Artifacts

Offline CosmicDolphin

• Jedi
  • Do or do not..there is no try
    • Phonicworks : TV Production Music
Haha...I'm getting a Mac for my wife ...be ready in a couple of weeks.

Congrats CD :)
We never finish a mix... we simply abandon them.
You can't polish a turd, but you can always spray paint it GOLD
Great songs are not written, they are re-witten

Offline Gerk

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
  • code monkey no sing!
    • Studio Gerk Pics

Offline CosmicDolphin

• Jedi
Yep that sounds pretty good price wise.

I think it'll be more than powerful enough for her...I read a few moans about the screens having varying brightness across the panel...anyone else come across it...?  I don't think it's a dealbreaker, the screen she uses now isn't that great.

CD

Offline Gerk

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
  • code monkey no sing!
    • Studio Gerk Pics
The biggest complaint I've seen about that generation of iMac (and doesn't apply to the 24" models) is that the 20" models use an 6-bit controller, meaning that they are not fantastic for color accuracy.  That said it's not a problem for that one as they use the standard 8 bit controller.

The screens in those are pretty nice for photography stuff actually, I don't think she'll have any complaints at all.  it's a good fast machine, large and accurate screen and has enough memory and hard drive to keep her happy.

Offline CosmicDolphin

• Jedi
The biggest complaint I've seen about that generation of iMac (and doesn't apply to the 24" models) is that the 20" models use an 6-bit controller, meaning that they are not fantastic for color accuracy.  That said it's not a problem for that one as they use the standard 8 bit controller.

The screens in those are pretty nice for photography stuff actually, I don't think she'll have any complaints at all.  it's a good fast machine, large and accurate screen and has enough memory and hard drive to keep her happy.

That's what I figured...not sure which version of OSX is on it...maybe wait till Snow Leopard comes out if I want to get the latest.  Might put an extra stick of ram into it as it's so cheap now and take it to 2gb.

Of course I may just decide I want it for my Studio  ;D

CD

Offline Gerk

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
  • code monkey no sing!
    • Studio Gerk Pics
I'd use regular Leopard for it, it's pretty stable and runs really well.  Snow leopard will have some bumps when it first comes out, they've done some MASSIVE under the hood changes to things so I'd wait until at least the first couple of updates after snow leopard if it's going to be a "production" machine.

You'll love it for the studio stuff ;)  When you're ready drop me a PM and I'll fill you in on what software you want to use for things :D

Mark

Offline CosmicDolphin

• Jedi
I'd use regular Leopard for it, it's pretty stable and runs really well.  Snow leopard will have some bumps when it first comes out, they've done some MASSIVE under the hood changes to things so I'd wait until at least the first couple of updates after snow leopard if it's going to be a "production" machine.

You'll love it for the studio stuff ;)  When you're ready drop me a PM and I'll fill you in on what software you want to use for things :D

Mark

Sadly it'll be in the Kitchen Diner...so I won't be able to sneak it into the studio..I'll probaby have a play with Garageband and teach my son how to make music on it though.

And I'll use it for video-editing the home movies & stuff....

CD

CD