Musicians Collaboration Studio

equalizers

nitch · 20 · 9195

Offline McLovin

• Super Hero
    • HDA
I am parametric-tarded.  I usually use a multiband graphic.  Just raise or lower frequencies to taste!
Keyboard Player/Singer/Songwriter
www.mclovintheduo.com
www.yournewneighbors.net

Offline nitch

Doc, thanks for sharing.  I was able to find it and install it properly, it was just a matter of me dropping a single .dll file into my VST directory and pulling it up in Cubase, how easy is that?  This is the second time that I've added an extension in Cubase, first extension being EZ Drummer.  I feel like I'm progressing over here!

Even though its considered cheating by the pros, I'd still be interested in exploring more EQ presets.

Offline meekofnature

• Musician, Engineer, Producer, Tech
Cheating?  Not really with the EQ presets.   Don't feel bad, I see successful professional mix engineers use them all the time-and even make a big deal about getting new ones.   Just remember they're starting points!

Offline mickbrit55

• Super Hero

i agree with most of the above but I would definitely say that seeing as you are new to EQ ing, as we all were once, then a preset that you can tweak is the way to go. I found it was really easy to get bogged down with all the technicalities of using an EQ, then I started using my ears more than my head and it kinda made more sense.

Basically, if you have some mudiness in your mix, or one or more instruments don't seem to pop as much as when they are solod, it's normally due to a frequency problem. Often I will send the offending tracks to a seperate bus and add the EQ there. Lot of the time you can resolve the problem there and add the tracks back into the mix. If that doesn't fix it then you will need to add the EQ to the output bus which will then affect the entire project.

The Sonitus EQ comes with a bunch of presets that can be handy. Think it is free ... Google it.
A spectrum analyzer can also help identifying the frequencies. Try this freebie :
http://www.voxengo.com/product/span/

GL :)
Very funny Spok ... now beam down my trousers.
SoundClick : http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=816080