Musicians Collaboration Studio

Guitar Rig 3 - issues

nitch · 25 · 11950

Offline Studioplayer

• Super Hero
  • Overdrive
    • Reverbnation Website
 ???  I don't get it ? If you have noise when nothing is played then you don't need that info. Just cut out the parts that are dead air. Just use the parts your playing on and if it's a high gain then you'll have noise. Not much you can do about it. A gate will help but if you gate it too much you'll kill your sound. Do you get the same noise with a crunch/overdrive or clean sound? If not then it's the high gain your using. Also if your using single coil pickups you'll get a lot more noise than with some humbuckers. It's the nature of the beast.  >:D

Not sure why you guys are using Guitar Rig 3, GTR3, GearBox or Amplitube.   ??? I've tried most of them out and although they work well personally I much prefer a seperate unit like a Pod, Boss GT10, Vox Tonelab or others that are even better. With those units I find them way more tweakable and much easier to use.

Dave
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 01:10:28 PM by Studioplayer »

Offline mickbrit55

• Super Hero
Exactly what we have been saying mate :)

As for an outboard unit versus a VSTi, i think it's horse for courses. The PodFarm VSTi or RTAS does exactly what any of the POD units do, only difference is that you can change the sound after the track is recorded because it is applied to the dry guitar signal. With an outboard unit you would have to re-record the track with any new settings.

Mick.
Very funny Spok ... now beam down my trousers.
SoundClick : http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=816080

Offline Studioplayer

• Super Hero
  • Overdrive
    • Reverbnation Website
Ah ha. Good point! Having a dry signal to tweak can be a bonus. I do record wet so I would have to replay everything if I wanted to change my sound. I can record dry as well with the wet but then I'm creating way too many tracks. I started to do that but found I never used my dry tracks since it required a lot of tweaking to get a decent sound. Maybe I'll go back to making dry tracks as well and see what Guitar Rig can do.  ???  I only gave it so much of a look before I went back to my Pod.

What I'd really like to do is mic my amp. Once I get my studio together I'll be trying to do more of that. That means a wet signal but sometimes miking an amp gives it that small percentage of 'real' tone. I have miked my amp before (not on any collabs) and have heard a difference. The only problem with that is limitations to sounds. Your stuck with whatever amps you have. With the amp sims you can pick any amp, speaker & mic setup.   

Dave
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 01:19:12 PM by Studioplayer »

Offline mickbrit55

• Super Hero
Yeah Dave, having a properly mic'ed up amp is definitely the way to get a really good sound. Back in the day thats all we had and moving a mic 1/2" this way and a 1/4" that way was how we changed the sound. Problem is that my JCM800 is way to loud to crank out the heavy tones, but I have seen some inexpensive 5W-15W all tube amps on the market now and I'm definitely thinking of getting one soon.

Mick.

Offline CosmicDolphin

• Jedi
  • Do or do not..there is no try
    • Phonicworks : TV Production Music
Dave

Don't forget you can also record dry and feed the signal to a real mic'd amp too....re-amping as they call it  >:D

CD
We never finish a mix... we simply abandon them.
You can't polish a turd, but you can always spray paint it GOLD
Great songs are not written, they are re-witten

Offline nitch

Hey guys, thanks for your help with this.

What I've been doing is exporting the guitar tracks with unwanted noise as a WAV, re-importing the WAV into the project while muting the original audio track, followed by cutting out the unwanted noise on the WAV before and after the actual recorded audio.

Even though I recorded audio at a certain part of a song there is still going to be unwanted noise/feedback throughout the entire track because guitar rig 3 is activated.

Offline CosmicDolphin

• Jedi
  • Do or do not..there is no try
    • Phonicworks : TV Production Music

What I've been doing is exporting the guitar tracks with unwanted noise as a WAV, re-importing the WAV into the project while muting the original audio track, followed by cutting out the unwanted noise on the WAV before and after the actual recorded audio.

Even though I recorded audio at a certain part of a song there is still going to be unwanted noise/feedback throughout the entire track because guitar rig 3 is activated.

That sounds a long-winded way of doing it !

You should be able to just 'bounce' or 'freeze' the track down within the DAW....shouldn't have to export & reimport though I guess the result is the same.

Did you try the noise gate method too ?

CD
We never finish a mix... we simply abandon them.
You can't polish a turd, but you can always spray paint it GOLD
Great songs are not written, they are re-witten

Offline mickbrit55

• Super Hero

That sounds a long-winded way of doing it !

You should be able to just 'bounce' or 'freeze' the track down within the DAW....shouldn't have to export & reimport though I guess the result is the same.

Did you try the noise gate method too ?

CD

Shouldn't have to bounce or freeze anything, you are recording audio so it becomes a clip as soon as you stop recording. Zoom into the clip at the beginning, grab the start of the clip with the mouse and drag it until you are just at the start of what you want to hear. Do the same, in reverse, with the end of the clip. This is called "slip-editing". But you really need to use the noise-gate, all this work will be uneccessary if you do. GR3 has a noise gate built in. Just increase the sensitivity until all the background noise disapears.

Mick.

Offline mickbrit55

• Super Hero
Noise-gate.

Offline nitch

I've finally figured out the noise gate tool, its actually quite easy, problem solved.

Thanks!