Musicians Collaboration Studio

Unwanted Noise

Offline DonAllen

• My better side
This may have been asked, but I have a mastering question for the guru's.

I know there has to be a way and I'm just mastering ignorant, of removing unwanted string noise form my guitar tracks.  I'm refering to the occasional ring of a string close to the one you just hit.  I know the ideal way is to play cleaner and muffle those strings but sometimes is unavoidable due to stupid fingers.  Would there be a way to get rid of them and also the finger slide sound of changing chords?  Some kind of filter, maybe? 

Thanks

Don

Offline Gerk

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
  • code monkey no sing!
    • Studio Gerk Pics
The best results I've had eliminating this stuff is wav editing.  No filters or plugins I've tried to date can get rid of this.  If it's something on a chord/position change it should be fairly easy to snip out ... if it's something with other audio behind it ... I don't have good advice for you there aside from retracking :/

Offline DonAllen

• My better side
thanks for the reply Gerk.  wave editing, are you referring to the actual dragging the wave out and cutting the offending piece out?  that's what i try now and is time consuming.  guess i'm looking for shortcuts, lol. 

thanks again,

Don

Offline Gerk

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
  • code monkey no sing!
    • Studio Gerk Pics
Yep that's what I'm talking about .. depending on the DAW software you use you can probably do this right in the editor portion of it .. most of them have a scissors or razor blade type tool that allows you to "snip" out the offending pieces pretty quickly.  Also if you do this in the DAW it's very good to use very slight crossfades at the snip points.  Any audio that is not directly at zero will introduce a tiny little click noise that can get really annoying quickly hehe.  In Digital Performer (my DAW of choice on Mac OSX) you can do the crossfades by dragging a handle at the edge of the clip.  All-in-all it takes me about 2 seconds to snip out an offending noise including the crossfades.

Hope this helps.

Offline DonAllen

• My better side
yep, that's what I thought.  I have acid studio so it's pretty much the same process even with the crossfades. 

helped alot, gave me the answer I knew was true but didn't want to face up to...hehehe

Don