Musicians Collaboration Studio

Mr. Hyde (New song, musical number) - Guitar George (napoleonboot), LMK

LMK · 27 · 8561

Offline LMK

How about "The Call of Cthulhu", by H.P. Lovercraft, or "The Masque of the Red Death" by Edgar Allen Poe. More recently we have "Hell House" by Matheson.

Yeah, there are many good possibilities, definitely. The mix of horror and comedy is what interests me.

I do have a particularly fondness for this story though, and the fact that it already exist as several musicals is not a factor. If that was a deal breaker, we wouldn't have the best versions of any of the classic tales , stories like Beauty and the beast (a musical long before Disney!), Treasure island (several versions)..or even the current uk version of this one.

These all time classic tales are sort of up for grabs, it's all about which version works for different contexts. High schools and local theater get to decide which version they want to do. I think if you did this one as a comedy first, but with dark humour and genuinely scary elements, it could be a much bigger hit for high schools for instance than the current most famous version.

Offline LMK

LMK

My mic is a "MXL 2001" large diaphragm condensor, through a solid state pre-amp (Omnitronics LH-045), into an M-Audio 2496 sound card.

Wow...

Well, I haven't had any personal experience with it myself, but it certainly sounds way more expensive than it's price tag.

Offline napoleonboot

• Super Hero
LMK, I got the mic second hand from a recording studio that was closing.

I just googled it, and can see that there are several popular ways of modifying the electronics to make it sound much better, with comparison to Neumann 67.

Perhaps mine has had that done before I got it.

I love it :)
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 06:22:32 PM by napoleonboot »
George can often be found playing stringy things, and singing...

Offline LMK

Yeah, it could very well be a modified one, or maybe just a great fit for the voice.

My favorite mic is a mod as well actually, it's one of those cheap Oktava MK 319, modded by the great Michael Joly.

Offline CosmicDolphin

• Jedi
  • Do or do not..there is no try
    • Phonicworks : TV Production Music
I loved this, best production I heard all night from trawling through the finished songs.

It's only a shame there's not more songs to make a complete story/musical.  Really strong performances topped with a good mix.  My only nitpick is it sounds like the de-esser is making GG lisp a little in places. Better to snip the offending 's' sounds onto their own track and treat them independant of the rest of the vocal.

CD
« Last Edit: May 11, 2013, 05:50:44 PM by CosmicDolphin »
We never finish a mix... we simply abandon them.
You can't polish a turd, but you can always spray paint it GOLD
Great songs are not written, they are re-witten

Offline AndyG6508

• Jedi
    • https://soundcloud.com/bumpy-buttons

Offline docmidnite

• Super Hero
  • Rock on, dude
    • http://indiemusicworks.com/Henry_Mittnacht/
Darn great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
George is getting better and better!!!!!!!!!!
Fantastic job, LMK!

Offline LMK

I'm really happy you guys like this musical number, thanks a lot for the comments!

CosmicDolphin I didn't process the vocals very much, and I never use a de-esser for the exact reasons you gave, so there is no de-esser here either.

I like to keep vocals as pure as possible, sonically. These vocals have a lot of "handwritten" automation, not just volume (to avoid compressing too much), but in terms of reverb and delay used for effect.

And I agree that George gets better and better.

« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 07:04:24 PM by LMK »

Offline CosmicDolphin

• Jedi
CosmicDolphin I didn't process the vocals very much, and I never use a de-esser for the exact reasons you gave, so there is no de-esser here either.

It does have sound to it..maybe it's caused by something else, or some processing George put on the recording  ???

I agree it's well worth the effort doing micro-automation to keep vocals up front.

CD

Offline napoleonboot

• Super Hero
I apply some light compression to the vocal track myself as part of my own trackign process before I gave it to LMK, so I guess it may be me.

Mark - I'm having trouble hearing what you are referring to, please supply one or more specific references :) it may be the fault is in my singing ;)
George can often be found playing stringy things, and singing...

Offline CosmicDolphin

• Jedi
I apply some light compression to the vocal track myself as part of my own trackign process before I gave it to LMK, so I guess it may be me.

Mark - I'm having trouble hearing what you are referring to, please supply one or more specific references :) it may be the fault is in my singing ;)

Hi GG

I don't think it's your singing, I've heard you plenty of times by now.  8)

I mostly noticed it at the beginning ...the first word that struck me initially was ' honest' then ' confess ' 'casaer ' & 'mess' ...it sounds like you have a bit of a lisp, if it's not a de-esser in action then it could be the compression, or maybe the sum of different layers of compression...often we have a little on the recording, then some on the mix, also the two buss and then maybe even more during mastering which can add up and be audible on exposed sections in a way it wouldn't on the busier parts of the song.

Once the extra instruments kick in it isn't so noticable...I'm probably more sensitive to it than most because I'm always trying to make listen out for it when mixing myself. But it kinda jumped out at me right off the bat. the more you listen , the more you get used to it  - I don't think it's a deal breaker though  8)  Just something to be aware of.

CD

Offline LMK

Hi GG

I don't think it's your singing, I've heard you plenty of times by now.  8)

Well, there was no de-esser or other hocus pocus here that could in any way have affected those sounds, and I doubt that George's light compression did anything to the S's. This is just the way it was performed/recorded, I think it's just part of the character of the vocals.

It's such a tiny, micro issue if at all. I mean, I listened to the holy grail of audiophile recordings Deacon Blues by Steely Dan on Aja the other day, and there the lisp was 10 times more pronounced than the few spots in this performance. That's the way the vocals were delivered in our case, and it didn't bother me. It's all about the performance itself, the emotion and how the singer relates to the material. No one, other than people working with audio, listening out for de-essers will notice this at all. ;)

I
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 02:49:26 PM by LMK »