Musicians Collaboration Studio

Can you all lend me your ears on this one?(Travel On)Updated Mix(Again)

Offline NickT

• NickT
  • Administrator
  • Super Hero
  • Here I am!
    • Ain't TV
Curtis,

very smooth mix..My personal taste is if the guitars are that loud...drums have to be there. Now that said, at least 3 people on this site will tell ya I mix drums to hot! So take that at face value. Tone wise, I think you have everything sounding great.

I don't hear any harsh tones, yet everything cuts.

Nice job!

Nick
NickT

"...My life just Ain't TV..."

www.AintTV.com

www.TestafiedRecords.com

Offline CurtisDowney66

First I will say that I really don't know what you are saying Tubes, I don't know which "section" you are talking about with the vocals. It is hard to understand exactly what you are talking about sometimes, I have to read what you said a few times before I understand, and I am not sure yet what you are trying to say, or even which mix you are listening to...lol.  I am not complaining, I am just curious as to what you are saying, because I am interested.  As for getting you the vocal APES, I am not quite sure what you think you can inspect?  Like I say, it is all kinda confusing how you try to explain it.  Thanks for the listens though, and if you can try to explain it better, I may be able to understand you better.

Nick, thanks for the listen also.  As for the drums, I have had alot of people tell me that I mix the drums too hot also, and I am trying to get away from that myself, and when I listen to it, I kinda want them louder, but I am never sure anymore if I should... :-\.  I think that Dave was hinting that he would like to hear the drums a bit hotter also.  I think maybe just the snare is what needs to be hotter though?  I am getting close on this, I know it.
Curtis

Offline NickT

• NickT
  • Administrator
  • Super Hero
  • Here I am!
    • Ain't TV
I figure you have the drums on their own buss. Maybe a tape  saturation kinda comp or something. Regardless, I like them a little hotter...but that is just me. I know others like them back. This is just nit picking...the mix is really good!

Nick
NickT

"...My life just Ain't TV..."

www.AintTV.com

www.TestafiedRecords.com

Offline Davidinoz

• Damn I wish I still looked this good...
I think that Dave was hinting that he would like to hear the drums a bit hotter also.  I think maybe just the snare is what needs to be hotter though?  I am getting close on this, I know it.

This Dave or the other Dave? :D

I didn't like the sound of the snare in mix 5. I thought it was much better in mix 6.
The level sounds fine to me but as you say it's very hard to judge sometimes.

Offline CurtisDowney66

Actually I meant the other Dave Dave :D.  Just too many Dave's around here.  Wasn't there a song called "These are the Dave's I know"?  I think it went..."These are the Dave's I know I know, these are the Dave's I know".

youtube

Well NIck has spoken. So rest assured you are getting there if not you are there already.

At 2:15 "I will travel long to the end" that line. That's a bck line.  They are okay. can be thickened, Echo's phased left/right for effect.

at 2:34 the music fills out and it seems like the vocals need to be a touch louder. Thats the Chorus.. End Chorus. I like your strong vocals that stand out from. And the ton is fine. Just that part is burried a touch but the music compensates for it sort of. That's what I am talking about.

The vox ape.?
=========
Well you made reference on the project thread that you were un-happy with the vocals. They are sung well and strong. I wanted to see inside the track to hear how clear they are. If there is noise or anything in it that effects the mix. see what the dynamic looks like. The wave form. As I say I have a lot of my own stuff to do but I though I would help if I can. Just offering because I like the song. I don't really need the work.

Just raise the vocal a touch in that Chorus and print. That's all it really needs. The drums are solid. There is only one thing that sort of bothers me about the drums. The hats.. They are solid but sound a bit phased. Not sure if that just because the wma  is not a high result one. May not be nothing at all. If there is any effect on the hats take it off. They have their own natural sound. Just eq them a touch .

I love this song and look forward to the final mix. This is a great song. I think the drums are solid.

PRINT

Best Of Luck

Tubes

P.S.

I have to STOP referring Nick to do mixes and repairs.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2007, 12:03:51 AM by youtube »

Offline CurtisDowney66

Ok, it makes sense now Tubes, thanks.  As for the vocals, and me not being happy with them, that was the first take, it was just a scratch take, but the one there now I am happy with.  At one point I mentioned I wasn't happy with how the vocals sounded, but that was a mix thing, and I have since changed that, which made all the difference in the world, to me anyway.  As far as the vocals having noise, I can assure you that isn't a problem, it's just a matter of matching up the right compression and eq's, and it took me a long time to get this one to fit in.  Was the hardest song I ever tried to get the vocal to blend in with, I think it had alot to do with the sound of the guitars, quite a bit different than any of my other songs.  I am happy with how the vocals sound and blend now, but I still may end up bumping it up a touch, but not much.  Like the drums, in the past I have always been one to set the vocal up there too hot, and I am trying to appeal to the masses...lol.
Thanks again everyone for your help on this.  I think I still may do just a few very minor things to it, then I'm gonna call it done(for now, as anyone that knows me can tell you, nothing of mine is ever finished ::))
Curtis

Offline Studioplayer

• Super Hero
  • Overdrive
    • Reverbnation Website
Curtis. My internet was down yesterday eveing so I couldn't reply. The latest mix is much better. The only problem area that I hear and I'm not sure why no one else has mentioned it and maybe it's just my setup but I hear a lot of boominess on the toms. Especially the floor tom. It's really heavy on the bass?? Almost makes my speakers pop. Gives a weird low end ring.  ???

Other than that it's pretty good mix. The vocals all sound great to me. The guitars are less bright and sit well. The bass is fat. The drums are fat. Sounds good.  8)

Another Dave

Offline Studioplayer

• Super Hero
  • Overdrive
    • Reverbnation Website
Just listened to this a few more times tonight and WOW Curtis, you really have a good mix going. Everything sounds really great. The vocals are really good. I love Brina's backing vocals. It really sounds great. The bridge is really cool. It takes me into a different space. I can almost feel myself floating. Good job man.  8)

Again I really hear a bad ring in the toms. I'm listening now with my computer speakers which are not as sensitive as my studio speakers and I can still hear that hollow ring. Fix that, and don't change anything else and I would say it's perfect.

Does anyone else hear what I'm hearing? On every roll with the toms is where I'm hearing it.  ???

Dave

Offline CurtisDowney66

I hear it Dave, I was just hoping it was only me ::).  I think I can fix it easy enough, I just need to look at it and see what is causing it.  I changed all the effects on the toms, so I just need to tweek that a tad.
Curtis

Offline CurtisDowney66

Ok, another mix on the first post, I just tweeked the Toms.  I took some EQ out at 50hz and 100hz.  I think it helped alot.  I also bumped the lead vocal and the snare up just a tad, you probably won't even be able to notice it.  Let me know.
Curtis

Offline Studioplayer

• Super Hero
  • Overdrive
    • Reverbnation Website
Yeah, That's much better Curtis. Still ever so slightly boomy but MUCH better. I'm at work and I have even crappier speakers here and the mix sounds really clear. It's up there with the best of them. Good job man !!  8)

Offline CurtisDowney66

Well Tubes, I still haven't got anything final on it yet.  I have moved, and my listening environment is way different, so I just don't know what I am hearing with anything right now.  I kind of put it down for now, just until I figure out how to retrain my ears.
Curtis

youtube

Well Tubes, I still haven't got anything final on it yet.  I have moved, and my listening environment is way different, so I just don't know what I am hearing with anything right now.  I kind of put it down for now, just until I figure out how to retrain my ears.
Curtis

Thanks You Curtis for the reply. Great song you got here. Studio player you did great work in this song. It's up-lifting and feels like a radio driving song in the rain.

I look forward to the finished product.

You tubes