Musicians Collaboration Studio

Circling The Drain (Mike Centra/AndyG/Billy Playle/GuitarGeorge/Alex/NickT)

Offline AndyG6508

• Jedi
    • https://soundcloud.com/bumpy-buttons
Hi MCS,

Thrilled to post up this song set to very cool lyrics from Mike (Centra).

It was really nice to have several of MCS's well-known names on board.
Super performances from everyone, and a special shout out to Billy for the perfect 80s style prog-rock arrangement, and to Nick for spending many a hour refining the mix.

Mike, thanks for nudging me to write new music. It was nice to finally get to collaborate with you, it only took 14 years!

I think the end result is spectacular.
Thanks.
Andy

Circling The Drain  (Lyrics - Studiolyricist)

Intro:

Verse1:
Planets dart and dance
Move in unison
Vibrate to the rhythm
Of the cosmic hum

Verse2:
Lightning in the sky
Splashes on the waves
Echoes in the forest
Firelight in caves"

Pre-chorus:
Are there jealous worlds watching afar?
Do they have no inkling where we are?

Chorus:
The glint of an alien telescope
Skims the galactic plane
When our ticking time bomb floats into view
While circling the drain
The signals fly in vain

Verse3:
Neurons multiply
Ideas circulate
Toxic mix of tongues
Viralizing hate

Verse4:
Figureheads emerge
Weapon-wielding hands
Displaced populations
Confiscated lands

Pre-chorus2:
Will the better worlds reach us in time?
Will our pale blue dot rot on the vine?

Chorus2
Solo:  over verse chords

Repeat Chorus x 2

Credits:
Mike Centra: Lyrics, original vocal melody
Andy Gupta: Original music, bass
Billy Playle: Final arrangement, keyboards, synthesizers, guitars
George Williams: Lead & backing vocals
Alex Zulaika: Drums
Nick Testa: Mix/Master
« Last Edit: February 18, 2024, 04:39:58 PM by AndyG6508 »

Offline studiolyricist

• Studio Lyricist
Awesome!

Much thanks as a group to everyone involved both online and off! It's been quite some time since I felt to energy and excitement of a collaboration at MCS and it feels great!

Special thanks go to Andy for suggesting the initial idea for a collaboration, for seeing the potential in my rag-tag lyrics, for his stellar job on bringing so many talented people together and for laying down the powerful bass track.  Thanks, Andy, I'm glad we could finally collaborate on a song!

My further special thanks of course go to, Nick T, for providing the platform where such fine collaborations take place and the time-consuming work you provided on such a professional mix and mastering!  Thank you for your interest and participation on this song, Nick!

Big thanks to Bill for contributing his magic to the final arrangement, keyboards, synths and guitars. Your work more than carries the song, it stands out and !

For bringing my humble lyrics to life (a role that always has special meaning for a lyricist), my parade of thank yous must next stop at George and your driving vocal track. Thank you, George, for such a strong vox treatment and for throwing your vital hat into this collaboration.

And last but not least, as Alex is currently not a member of the forum, I'll extend my great appreciation to him through Andy for contributing the solid drum track! Much thanks, Alex!

Now if you all don't mind, I have to step out but I'm going to bring this track with me to listen in the car. Thanks again to all and I hope we can work on another great collaboration again sometime!

Best to all,
Mike

Offline Mimmo

• Super Hero
Good to see some action here!!!
 I like what I'm hearing too!!! Great collab!
Mimmo
Mimmo
Love songs...and more

Offline napoleonboot

• Super Hero
It turned out pretty damn good. Well done all. Nice to see MCS back in action on something both creative and high quality.

George
George can often be found playing stringy things, and singing...

Offline Mr. Mom

• Super Hero
    • My music-player
Great job, guys! So nice to see and hear some "activity" around this place. :) :)
Damn it Jim! I'm a WRITER - not a Doctor!!

Offline stoman

• Jedi
    • Stoman's website
I just love ALL your songs, Andy. Exactly the kind of songs I would write if I could. :)

In your songs, I always hear touches of all the bands I love, e.g. The Who, Deep Purple, Kansas, ...
Always looking for opportunities to mix your songs. Feel free to ask!
My Introductory Post

Offline AndyG6508

• Jedi
    • https://soundcloud.com/bumpy-buttons
Hi Steffen,

Thank you so much for the kind words, it means a lot coming from a consummate composer and producer like yourself!!
Regards,
Andy 

I just love ALL your songs, Andy. Exactly the kind of songs I would write if I could. :)

In your songs, I always hear touches of all the bands I love, e.g. The Who, Deep Purple, Kansas, ...

Offline Billy

• Super Hero
  • Professionalism is an attitude
Hello Andy and all the gang.

Blimey! That cleared the cobwebs out of my ears.  It brought a big smile on my face as I listened.

There's lots of instruments playing melodies and harmonies and sometimes occupying the same frequencies but Nick has managed to get the best out of them with his knowledge and experience. Stellar mix. Nick.

George is the man you need for the vox. He always comes up with the goods. Those vox harmonies are great.

I had fun doing this and that is what it's all about.

You guys are legends.

More to come I think.

Billy.

Offline NickT

• NickT
  • Administrator
  • Super Hero
  • Here I am!
    • Ain't TV
Thanks Billy!

Alway a pleasure working with all the musos on this site! So much talent!

NickT

Blimey! That cleared the cobwebs out of my ears.  It brought a big smile on my face as I listened.

There's lots of instruments playing melodies and harmonies and sometimes occupying the same frequencies but Nick has managed to get the best out of them with his knowledge and experience. Stellar mix. Nick.

George is the man you need for the vox. He always comes up with the goods. Those vox harmonies are great.

You guys are legends.

More to come I think.

Billy.
NickT

"...My life just Ain't TV..."

www.AintTV.com

www.TestafiedRecords.com

Offline studiolyricist

• Studio Lyricist

You guys are legends.

More to come I think.

Billy.

I couldn't agree more, Billy! It's positively incredible to watch how all of you pool your talents to such great and memorable results! MC is such a unique place and I feel very lucky for and appreciative to this community.  :)

Thank you all!