Break With Protocol

Offline NickT

• NickT
  • Administrator
  • Super Hero
  • Here I am!
    • Ain't TV
Hi folks,
Still in bed, just got up after receiving a phone call from Germany, from Steve (Stephen Moeller) and it got me standing up.
Great mix Nick... Really, really sounding hot. Much thanks, you all, for letting me in.

But, I don't remember having that delayed playing after the solos. Was that an option or is something wrong with the files I uploaded?

Guys... I will have this one playing all over the place, I swear  :o

Paulo...get well soon...we miss ya!

I copied an organ part from earlier in the song because after the rollercoaster ride of the solo's, the bottom dropped out and I needed it for the chorus. I thought it matched ok...maybe I just didn't match it right.  :-[

So now you must get well and fix it! :)

Take care,

Nick

NickT

"...My life just Ain't TV..."

www.AintTV.com

www.TestafiedRecords.com

Offline Studioplayer

• Super Hero
  • Overdrive
    • Reverbnation Website
Nick, Would it be possible to post a wav of this song? It would be great to have a high quality mix.  8)
Thanks, Dave

Offline NickT

• NickT
  • Administrator
  • Super Hero
  • Here I am!
    • Ain't TV

Offline NickT

• NickT
  • Administrator
  • Super Hero
  • Here I am!
    • Ain't TV

Offline Studioplayer

• Super Hero
  • Overdrive
    • Reverbnation Website
Thanks Nick. Totally appreciate your help on this song.  8)

Dave

Offline Caine

Online Pleasuredome

• Super Hero
  • Symi Rock
    • My Web Page
Thanks Caine,

I think Dave did good on the bed for this and then that was so superbly augmented by these awesome solos by Paulo and Bill........the icing being the work being Testafied............my question is -

WHO IS GOING TO TARGET THIS AS THE THEME (BOTH SCRIPT AND SOUNDTRACK) FOR THE NEXT BOND MOVIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Loved doing it guys and gives me goosebumps to listen to..........thanks!

Offline Caine

hey guys,

i know i already uttered my admiration...damn what a song. it's still running on heavy rotation on my i-pod...
again: congratulations to everyone involved!

Offline Studioplayer

• Super Hero
  • Overdrive
    • Reverbnation Website
Thanks Caine. Appreciate the kind words.  :) This is one of those songs that goes to show the talent pool around here. We have some amazing musicians in the wings. All I had to do is lay down the bed track and then Steve comes in with killer vocals and lyrics. Bill and Paulo conspire to lay out a fun and exciting lead track and then Nick finalizes everything. It came together very quickly. I'd do another with these guys any day.  8)

Dave

Online Pleasuredome

• Super Hero
  • Symi Rock
    • My Web Page
Absolutely great when songs go like this.........................................I have just listened again and could not sit still!!

Thanks for reminding me again Caine :)

Thanks Dave, but every song needs a foundation and you certainly provided that....then it was just a living thing that rapidly grew.............I'd be more than happy to do more of the same (or similar) bro!!

Excellent playing by the others...............cheers Paulo and Bill...........and of course the man getting married today.........all the best Nick!!

Offline CosmicDolphin

• Jedi
  • Do or do not..there is no try
    • Phonicworks : TV Production Music
I played a bunch of songs when I first joined the site and this was my favourite, so when Dave lent his talents to one of my tracks I asked him if I could have a go at doing my own mix of it.

I think Nick did a great job on the original, but no-one had taken me up on any mixing offers at that time and I just wanted to see if it could get more of a 'in ya face' radio friendly sound with what had been laid down already...as much for my own practice and amusement as anything......It turned out to be tougher than I'd bargained for !

What I wanted was a more powerful drum sound, the vocals a bit more upfront and for it to sound larger than life - kind of like everything turned up to eleven, wall of sound kinda thing.

Did I succeed ???  Well partly, and partly not....I'll let others be the judge of what worked and what didn't......It didn't quite come out how I heard it in my head but maybe 75% of the way there.....and it took a lot longer than I normally take to mix a track - which I guess is testament to Nick because he didn't have anything to refer back to.  Have a listen for yourselves and let me know what you think...I've gone past the point of hearing it properly myself now I think.

I was in two minds about whether to post it or not , and when the thread came back to life I thought 'what the Heck ' it might spark a debate on mixing and mastering and how different the same song can turn out when mixed by different people.  I'll post a list of changes if anyone wants to know.

Thanks to Dave for kindly let me have a play around with this great song, and it was a learning experience.

CosmicDolphin
We never finish a mix... we simply abandon them.
You can't polish a turd, but you can always spray paint it GOLD
Great songs are not written, they are re-witten

Online Pleasuredome

• Super Hero
  • Symi Rock
    • My Web Page
Cosmic dolphin, you did good bro and thanks for the input, This is Dave's song and so he controls the direction my friend!

The mix is sure larger than life but IMHO the vocals get slightly left in a non-defined void :-[ :-[

It is nice to use the whole sonic soundscape but beware of it becoming so wide that it loses coherence, just my Humble Opinion.

Great stab at a kicking rock song Cosmic but INHO opinion the mix becomes overly wide :-[

The next Bond movie soundtrack...............we'll see :) :)

Offline NickT

• NickT
  • Administrator
  • Super Hero
  • Here I am!
    • Ain't TV
CD, Nice Job.

I feel the drums get lost. The other instruments sound good. A bit wide but nice tones. I think the vocal focus and kick drive suffer a little. Get thos back in and I think you are done.

Nice job,

Nick
NickT

"...My life just Ain't TV..."

www.AintTV.com

www.TestafiedRecords.com

Offline Studioplayer

• Super Hero
  • Overdrive
    • Reverbnation Website
Hey Cosmic. I'll check it out soon and give you my honest opinion. You did pick a very difficult song to mix. That's why I gave it to Nick to do. ;D No way in hell I could do it the justice as he did.  Keep in mind it was all in fun and I see you now have lots of tunes looking for mixers. It's all good practice.  :) I also did let Nick know that you where taking a stab at it. As I have mentioned before I have also posted the song giving Nick credit for the mixing & mastering. Keep at though and it's great to get opinions. There's so much to learn from a lot of the guys here that have been doing it for a long time. Nick, Cary, Davidinoz and others. To be honest I'd much rather pass the mixing on to others. It's not really an area that I totally enjoy. It makes my brain hurt. ;D Athough it is something we all need to know to a certain extent. Anyways I'll give it a listen really soon.

Cheers, Dave

Offline Studioplayer

• Super Hero
  • Overdrive
    • Reverbnation Website
Cosmic. Just had a few good listens tonight in the studio and cranked it up. Wow!!! Sounds pretty good man !!! Totally different approach than what Nick did. Much better than the first mix you sent me. I'd have to agree with the guys that the vocals could come out a bit more. They could be a bit warmer as well. I think the drums could also have a bit more beef to them. Seems to lack in the low end a bit. You definitely got a really wide sound happening and a good radio mix. I can see why your getting some good comments on the mixes that your doing for other songs. You have a vision of what you want to achieve and are getting it. It's not bad and I really enjoyed listening to it. It's really a different approach and I think your getting there.  8) Damn I haven't really listened to this song for a while and forgot how much I enjoyed it. All the guys on this just really let loose. What a blast !!!!!  8)

Thanks for playing around with this. I'm going back out to the studio. Drink a beer or two and listen some more.   >:D

Dave