Musicians Collaboration Studio

DAW Comparions, Recommendations, Configuring and Help

Offline StevieRich

• Give me a riverbank and a cool breeze
I am just getting started with this home studio recording and could use some opinions, advise and help getting started. I have been doing simple recording using Acid 4.0 and have just purchased 6.0. but haven't jumped into it yet. This is what I know and since it was for my own practice and entertainment, I did not get that far into all the possibilitis of 4 let alone 6. I would just lay a track to play back for my leads and sometimes build a 4-5 track song, but always unfinished.

My question is, can I use Acid here while I learn other programs like Albleton Live and Sonar or do I need to learn those a bit first before I colab. I see that Acid can render files to WMA but I do not see a way to import in and open so that I may jam with other file formats. Maybe I'm missing something? Not sure what I'm doing here. can you tell me the sequence of events as far as file sharing with the site and which software will work best or exceptable. I'm good with most any software but not clear on the sequences here to take part. 

Here is a simple list of what I have so far
Dell Inspiron Laptop 8500 Pentium 4 M 2.4 ghz
512 meg ram, 60 gig hard drive
cd/rw/dvd 5700 rpm I think
OS Windows XP Home w/service pack 2

M-Audio Fast Track Pro
Event 5's Monitors - BiAmped
Marshall Condenser Mic with buit in phanthom power  99.00 on ebay sold as laptop mic, not bad
SM -57 & 58  one each

Software -  Right now, the only working DAW is Acid 4.0  i have been keeping it really simple since I record live acoustic and vocals and maybe a harmonica once and awhile. I would like to play more of my own instruments such as mandolin or fiddle down the road.

Other stuff on hand but copies and not certain what works yet but before i speend, I'm looking to see what you all think I could use or should use for now so I get involved here. I think Acid 6.0 would be my quickest transition but I see no mention of it here o support may be an issue.

Whadaya think guys, where do _ go from her so I can start collaberating with you.

Ableton Live 5.2  Acid 6.0 and maybe Sonar Producer. Had a problem installing and will try again.  Any advise would be great guys, just take it easy on me at first. Tryin to soak up allot of info here

Thanks gang
StevieRich 
Humble Guitarist/Singer/Song Writer

Offline Tacman7

It's been a long time but I used to record with acid. Great program really.

I still sometimes use it as a rewire device in cubase for a drum editor. Nice.

The whole file format thing can be handled externally. Just convert the wma to wav with db poweramp and then import it. Then you could also convert your finished wav for upload here. Use 128k bit rates to keep file size down.

I think you would be able to do collabs with acid.

Offline NickT

• NickT
  • Administrator
  • Super Hero
  • Here I am!
    • Ain't TV

Offline Studioplayer

• Super Hero
  • Overdrive
    • Reverbnation Website
I do all my recording with Acid Pro. I like the ease of use. My biggest problem is that it crashes (locks up) every now and then so I make sure I save after every take. It also doesn't like wma's for some reason. Seems to crash it again. So any wma's that I get I convert it to wav or mp3 so I have no problems. Seems to work well with mp3's. I have version 4, 5 & 6. Not much different in the newer versions. They seem to be more geared to video. I tend to use version 4 more often. Personally I like a simple straight forward recording program. Generally works well with all vst plugin's. I've only had a problem with a few that wouldn't work well for me. Prevoius to Acid I used Cakewalk. I would move to Sonar if I could ever figure it out. I know Acid Pro pretty well so I just stick with it.  :)

Dave

Offline StevieRich

• Give me a riverbank and a cool breeze
Thaks guys,

Dave, as soon as I am feeling better, I would lke to chat with you for a bit. Right now I am dealing with a really bad back episode and a spring cold and feel like a train hit me. Thanks for the info guy.

StevieRich 
Humble Guitarist/Singer/Song Writer

Offline Studioplayer

• Super Hero
  • Overdrive
    • Reverbnation Website