Musicians Collaboration Studio

Brina's going shopping!!

Brina · 42 · 21941

Offline Rattlehed

I saw that gateway amd phenom quad-core. 3gb ram and 1TG drive for $649 after rebate!

Wish I would have bought that one!

Keep your eyes out for this weekends specials B.

Nick

eww gateway if you buy one keep the box cuz you;ll be returning it

Offline dan k

I'm not trying to scare you away from dell but I have had my dell for 3 weeks and the hard drive crapped already. they took care of it. but I got vista and also have sonar.  you need to know what you are doing with computers for that combo (I don't have a clue).

I hope I helped

DAN k

Offline NickT

• NickT
  • Administrator
  • Super Hero
  • Here I am!
    • Ain't TV
I saw that gateway amd phenom quad-core. 3gb ram and 1TG drive for $649 after rebate!

Wish I would have bought that one!

Keep your eyes out for this weekends specials B.

Nick

eww gateway if you buy one keep the box cuz you;ll be returning it

Pat, Where is your Cheeeeeee? :)

Yeah...I build my own, but those are not without problems too. That gatway at that price...You couldn't buy the parts for that.

Nick
NickT

"...My life just Ain't TV..."

www.AintTV.com

www.TestafiedRecords.com

Offline Brina

hmmm,...

I think I'm actually going to go this route...

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8661575&type=product&id=1196470438845

don't think there's much that I'm going to need any more than this...

only real big concern now is the vista issue with sonar 6....

push comes to shove I guess I can dump it and install XP...famous last words...Oh Mark!!!!!!!!

I appreciate the suggestions guys, You'd think by now I'd have a clue eh???  I'll still be watching the sales fliers and schtuff though, never know i might get lucky.....

Brina
I just wanna sing..email me sometime  sabrinalund1973@yahoo.com

Offline Bobby Watson

• Super Hero
  • What's a band without members?
    • Backporch Dreams
Cakewalk brags that it works fine with Vista...
http://www.cakewalk.com/vista/default.asp

I can't verify that, since I haven't used Sonar since I brought up the Vista machine here. But, suspect it probably works fine. Most all the majors have caught up with the OS by now. I recently upgraded my Audition and Reason for Vista versions. And, so far all is well.
The box you're looking at looks alright to me. The ram (she giggles) should be sufficient for loading most sounds you migit use.
Good Luck

Offline juice

• Give it Some Juice
    • juicerocks.com
That looks beefy enough and a good price.

You mentioned you have other hard drives.
If you have a spare install it in your new computer as a slave and go into your cmos and alter the boot sequence to boot from that drive. On that one install XP as a fail safe incase Vista wigs out on you. Install all your stuff like you were going to. Then go back and change the boot sequence to the original and run Vista as long as you want.

If you have no problems then you never need to go to the other drive. But if you do as long as you set up Sonar to keep the files in the same spot regardless of what drive it's on. Because you can still have acces to either drive no matter what you boot off of.

If that is too confusing save you current files that you are working on as Bundle files and you won't have to worry about where they are.

I know that's probably too much information. But it sounds a lot harder than it is.  :)
I don't question why some people are addicted to making themselves suffer.
I'm just glad to have an audience.

Offline NickT

• NickT
  • Administrator
  • Super Hero
  • Here I am!
    • Ain't TV
i recommend against bundles. They corrupt and once that happens, you are dead in the water. Just save all your projects to project folders as recommended.

Nick
NickT

"...My life just Ain't TV..."

www.AintTV.com

www.TestafiedRecords.com

Offline Gerk

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
  • code monkey no sing!
    • Studio Gerk Pics
I too was looking for the Cheeeeeeee!  Pat.  I still have those album covers here somewhere hehe...

Offline Rattlehed

I too was looking for the Cheeeeeeee!  Pat.  I still have those album covers here somewhere hehe...

My bad, didn't realize you guys liked it so much, so now it's back

Offline Gerk

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
  • code monkey no sing!
    • Studio Gerk Pics

Offline NickT

• NickT
  • Administrator
  • Super Hero
  • Here I am!
    • Ain't TV

Offline CosmicDolphin

• Jedi
  • Do or do not..there is no try
    • Phonicworks : TV Production Music
Hey Brina

Dave's right , I got one of the Dell Vostro range...mainly because they were

1. very cheap for what I need

2. I could choose XP for no extra ( for legacy hardware compatability, not so much the software )

3. As business PC's they don't put a bunch of software on them.

Mine's a Core2 Duo 2.3 / 2gb Ram / 320hdd....I think the Best Buy one will be fine too if Vista runs your other hardware , but would be worth checking prices, I wasn't sure if you needed a monitor too ?

CD
We never finish a mix... we simply abandon them.
You can't polish a turd, but you can always spray paint it GOLD
Great songs are not written, they are re-witten

Offline srvfender

• Soundclick
I did the same thing CD did. Went with XP on my Dell and you can customize from there. You don't need a bunch of wasted software if you use it mainly for music. Saves resources. My $.02

AJ

Offline Blades

Regarding Sonar compatibility with Vista:  there is a huge thread (many, actually) going on the Cakewalk newsgroup about this.  A few things that it seems to be boiling down to:

1.  Vista runs Sonar with poorer performance than XP in low latency (= <5-8ms) situations except in the latest release 7.0.2.

2.  Your milage may vary dependant on the sound card drivers.  Check the Cakewalk newsgroups for others who are using your card and Vista and see what the general reaction is.

3.  Something happened in 7.0.2 that people with appropriate sound card drivers are reporting performance "on par" with XP.

HTH

Offline BassPlayer

• ReverbNation - David Bellizzi
I don't believe in the all in one bundled systems. Must be my gamer mentality. No dis to Bobby and Gerk. Manufacturers always cut corners some where. Also pre-install images have so much junk you spend half the time removing the stuff you don't need. In this regard it is my opinion that you get what you pay for.   

My systems usually last longer and run faster when I spec the HW and OS confiig. Then at least I know what goes in it and can choose where to cut the corners.  Though I do my own supports so 
if your uncomfortable with the roll your own approach then I would suggest the wal mart approach. 

My next system is going to be one of these

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?Brand=1465&N=2000030003+50001465&Submit=ENE&Manufactory=1465&SubCategory=3&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords&CMP=KNC-GoogleAdwords%20&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-_-NA-_-NA-_-NA

I'm looking forward to no fan noise. Right now my gamer has 3 or 4 fans.... :D

Best of luck in deciding on your DAW HW and bingining it up to speed.