Musicians Collaboration Studio

Using Rewire to access Reason (Without actually owning Reason)

Offline Bobby Watson

• Super Hero
  • What's a band without members?
    • Backporch Dreams
What is ReWire?

ReWire is a system for transferring audio data between two computer applications, in real time. Basically, you could view ReWire as an "invisible cable" that streams audio from one computer program into another.

Applications that support ReWire are:
Ableton Live
Adobe Audition
Cakewalk Sonar
Digidesign Pro Tools 6.1 for Mac OS X and Windows XP
Emagic Logic Audio 4.7 & 5 Mac OS 9/Windows
Emagic Logic Audio Platinum 5 + TDM/ESB
Emagic Logic Audio 6
Emagic Logic Audio Platinum 6.1 + TDM/ESB
Mark of the Unicorn Digital Performer 2.7 and 3.x
Mark of the Unicorn Digital Performer 4
Sonic Foundry Acid 4.0d
Steinberg Cubase SX
Steinberg Cubase VST
Steinberg Nuendo

Find out more about it here:
http://www.propellerheads.se/technologies/rewire/index.cfm?

Now for the Tip and Trick.  You don't have to own Reason to take some advantage of testing the abilities of the program, with the aid of a ReWire enabled application... Simply download the Resaon 3.0 demo version (which does not allow saving of your work). You can get it at propellerheads site.  Create your Reason tracks. Access the tracks using rewire from within your rewire enabled applicaation.
Are you breaking any laws? Not really, as soon as you close Reason the tracks are gone... But, you have captured the content... Much like doing a "What you hear" recording within Windows to capture anything.... Yes, it might be an around the world process..... But, it does give you some added resources for your creations....

Not something everyone would want to try...... But, I thought it might be of some interest to some of  you....
BW@

Offline Sternen

• Jazz isn't dead, it just smells funny. - Zappa
never thought of doing that..  great trick -- i am always looking for new sound sources, so I am definately going to give this a try
http://www.peteclimie.com - Revel in the blandness of a base install of Joomla

Offline Bobby Watson

• Super Hero
  • What's a band without members?
    • Backporch Dreams
One important thing I forgot to mention... The Reason Demo only runs for 20 minutes at a time... Yes, that's a down side.... But, if you have your midi track done before you open Reason, you should have time to pick your synth, effects, etc. record the track and get out of there....

I should emphasize, it has it's down sides as a tip and trick... But, it still is possible.... The demo is a great way to evaluate Reason, as well....
BW@