Musicians Collaboration Studio

Stereo vs Mono Tracks

Basil · 8 · 5190

Offline Basil

• http://www.bandmix.com/mike-basil/
What are some basic (Stereo vs Mono) rules to follow when mixing guitar, bass, drums and vocals?
What are some basic panning rules to follow for creating depth?

Thanks in advance :)

Offline Studioplayer

• Super Hero
  • Overdrive
    • Reverbnation Website
Not an expert. Just learning myself but as a rule of thumb I try to make all my tracks mono. They seem to sit better in a mix. The exception being piano or keys. They always have a stereo effect or sound. 

Bass always mono.
Vocals always mono.
Guitars mono. Usually double up with a left & right for rhythm and I usually play them slightly different with a slightly different tone. Guitars stereo when they have stereo effects such as stereo delay.
Drums should be all seperated and mono
Keys usually stereo

Of course there are exceptions to the rules. It depends on effects or dry. How many tracks your working with etc. Whatever works best for you.

As for panning I generally pan my guitars any where from 30% to 100% left & right. Many times I find 69% the magic number for me. Or I just like that number  :P Lead guitar to one side or down the middle. One song I'm working on the guitars just don't seem to work well panned at all. They sound best in the middle. Strange. I think you have to let your ears be the judge. You want to find space for each instrument without overlapping and making mud of it all. It's not easy.

My 2 cents

Dave

Offline Basil

Hi Dave,

You do also use the same panning for techniques for breaking up the bass and vocals?

Offline CosmicDolphin

• Jedi
  • Do or do not..there is no try
    • Phonicworks : TV Production Music
Hi Dave,

You do also use the same panning for techniques for breaking up the bass and vocals?

The bass is normally panned centre to spread the engery evenly between the two speakers......as is the kick drum...it goes back to vinyl , where panning the bass , or kick drum could possibly make the needle literally jump out of the groove on the record.

CD
We never finish a mix... we simply abandon them.
You can't polish a turd, but you can always spray paint it GOLD
Great songs are not written, they are re-witten

Offline Basil

Interesting CD.
Any more panning tricks or other little basic goodies you'd like to share ?
I'm just interested in making good sounding demos that I can put up for collaboration.
I'm starting to realise the more appealing sound wise the better chance of having others join in. 

Offline Studioplayer

• Super Hero
  • Overdrive
    • Reverbnation Website
I kind of like to think of it as I'm watching a band. Guitar players on either side. Bass player up close with the drummer and the vocalist front and center. Keys usualy fill up the whole space. :)

Offline CosmicDolphin

• Jedi
  • Do or do not..there is no try
    • Phonicworks : TV Production Music
I kind of like to think of it as I'm watching a band. Guitar players on either side. Bass player up close with the drummer and the vocalist front and center. Keys usualy fill up the whole space. :)

Yeah keep that in mind and you'll be all right
We never finish a mix... we simply abandon them.
You can't polish a turd, but you can always spray paint it GOLD
Great songs are not written, they are re-witten

Offline Paulo

• Super Hero
Interesting topic... Many times I click the "Mono" button on Wavelab to see how it sounds. Dave, have you ever read the Art of mixing? I mean, that guy sais the same thing about mixig... - Look at the Stage and put the mix thae way you see them.

I wonder, what band he's he talking about, a dead men's band?  ;D
Live the best you can 'cause you're gonna be dead for a long time.
Respect
Paulo Gomes