Musicians Collaboration Studio

Recording Acoustic Guitars

nitch · 6 · 5068

Offline nitch

I am looking for some tips and tricks that I could apply when recording Acoustic Guitar.  I am on the hunt for a nice full rich sound.  I am using an AKG Perception 100 condenser microphone.  I believe that someone with the skill can achieve this while eqing and editing the actual track but I'd rather lay it down the way I want it so that I don't have to re visit.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Paulo

• Super Hero
i don't think you'll achieve always the same recording sound . Each session e one and unique, mebbe you'll have to start dealing with eq's and tuff like that. Also each song is different and you'll need to make the guitar sound acording to the song.
Live the best you can 'cause you're gonna be dead for a long time.
Respect
Paulo Gomes

Offline CosmicDolphin

• Jedi
  • Do or do not..there is no try
    • Phonicworks : TV Production Music
Just a general guide....

Clean / replace the strings first..can make a huge difference

Try different pick they can make it sound different too

Where you record will also have an effect ..try not to choose somewhere too dead...

Start with the mic pointing toward the spot where the neck meets the beody and see how that sounds...start maybe 6inches back and experiment.

Another popular method is have the mic coming over shoulder so it picks up a simlilar sound to what you hear when playing

If you want a big sound, try playing it twice and panning it either side in the mix...unless you have two mics which is a whole other situation.

CD
We never finish a mix... we simply abandon them.
You can't polish a turd, but you can always spray paint it GOLD
Great songs are not written, they are re-witten

Offline Appleluza

• Appleluza Music
To CD's point,  I have a rather dead room, and I have cut three pieces of plywood about 1 meter square and I position these under the guitar and usually one behind and angled up to create some reflections. This helps give the recording some depth and color.   CD didn't mention the obvious, but getting the guitar in tune is something to pay attention to also - and I echo what he said about new strings -- that can help with tone as well as intonation.
Rob Talbert, Songwriter and Producer for Appleluza, a virtual multi-genre band.

Offline TallPaul

• Super Hero
    • Tall Paul And Friends
I have one exampled of how I recorded my acoustic at this link:
http://www.musicianscollaboration.com/forum/index.php?topic=4280.0
Paul
Songwriter, lyricist, vocalist, guitarist... pretty much in that order! :-)